NuForce introduces $199 amp w/ headphone jack
Mar 30, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 82
I just ordered one, can't wait to try it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #18 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm confused; how come sometimes I'll read about amps that are 100wpc that "can't drive x speakers", but then there will be some tiny 10 or 12wpc amp like this one that's driving inefficient speakers? Is that the advantage of T-amps? Would this amp be able to run a 4Ohm, 86dB loudspeaker?

A lot depends on the listener, speakers, average listening levels, source material, amplifier to speaker impedance compatibility, distance from speaker, etc. As long as the speakers' impedance are compatible with the amplifier though, any amp will be able to run them, the only question is how loud and if you like the sound. As for sound signature preference, can't help you there, but may be able to shed some light on loudness.

A general rule of thumb I use is to keep 18 dB of headroom over my average listening level. Why 18 dB? The vast majority of material keeps spikes below 12 dB, but an extra bit of headroom just in case something does and to giving the amp a little buffer isn't a bad idea. This can be adjusted as you see fit, though if you're want a system capable of reproducing to certain 1812 Overture recordings correctly, 40 dB or so of headroom is needed.

In a nearfield situation (~1 m from the speaker), maximum average listening volume is 82 dB. IMHO, this is enough for the usually less rigorous applications that call for nearfield speaker usage. (Computer, desktop, etc. usage)

In a listening room situation (~2-4 m from the speaker), maximum average listening volume is 76-79 dB. IMHO, this is questionable. I like to listen around the 85 dB range when listening for enjoyment. This setup wouldn't work for me as at 85 dB as I'd be chopping my headroom in half and risk amplifier clipping. But if you like listening at low levels, this may work.

Assumptions and math for calculations above: Speaker sensitivity is 86 dB/Wm per speaker. Double that for pair, so assume 89 dB/Wm. Amplifier power is 12 WPC. Converted into dBW, is ~ 11 dBW. From that, full scale output is is ~ 100 dB at 1 meter. Also assuming that we want to keep 18 dB of headroom and assuming SPL drop of 3dB for every doubling of distance, referenced to 1 m.

Mar 30, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #19 of 82
I wonder how hard it would be to cram a DAC in one of these??

Apr 2, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #22 of 82
In the comments section at the end of the 6moons Icon review:
"We will be introducing an earphone (MSRP $79) that will sound better than anything on the market, even those headphones costing 2 to 3 x the price. The earphone is in production now :)"

Huh? So how good will they be?
confused.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #24 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phenic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered one, can't wait to try it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Keep us updated
smily_headphones1.gif

Are they going to ship yours soon or are they shipping it with everyone else (Apr 25 or something)?

Apr 8, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #26 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep us updated
smily_headphones1.gif

Are they going to ship yours soon or are they shipping it with everyone else (Apr 25 or something)?

Same time as everyone else I think which is end april.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 10, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #27 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by blippster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the 6moons review:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/n.../open2_big.jpg

Would I be mistaken to say that those are 5532 op-amps?

Those are Texas Instrument N5532s, yes. I see that it has a Burr-Brown PCM2706 DAC chip; I don't recall anyone here mentioning its functionality as a USB DAC, though it is listed in the 6moons review.

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 82
Sent an e-mail to the local Nuforce dealer - Marigo Audio- asking if he had one in stock. No response. Been over a month now. Kind a killed my interest in the product. Anyone listened to one yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back