NuForce introduces $199 amp w/ headphone jack
Apr 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #47 of 82
Got my red one in last night, only had a brief chance to listen using AKG K-701 phones. This could be a very nice product, based on first listen.

Does seem nicely detailed, MAYBE on the edge of some sibilance, but did not bother me. And it may go away with time.

It had just enough oomph to drive the K701's to decent levels, but the bass was pretty deep and well-defined. As mentioned, detail was good, meaning the top end was fairly extended. Soundstaging: quite nice, almost as good as the K701's driven by my old PS Audio GCHA (based on memory; don't have it anymore).

FWIW, I was listening to some WAV & high quality MP3 files downloaded from Metaxas Audio; some great quality recordings, easily on par with or better than Chesky IMO.

Only had about 1/2 hour of time, but this looks real promising, even as a headphone amp (no speaker listening yet). Won't have much time over the next couple nights to listen too much, but hope to get a little time in here and there.

Not sure if the future orders will be at $250 or the $200, but in either case I think this is likely well worth it, especially given the flexibility mentioned in this thread.

Apr 16, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my red one in last night, only had a brief chance to listen using AKG K-701 phones. This could be a very nice product, based on first listen.

Does seem nicely detailed, MAYBE on the edge of some sibilance, but did not bother me. And it may go away with time.

It had just enough oomph to drive the K701's to decent levels, but the bass was pretty deep and well-defined. As mentioned, detail was good, meaning the top end was fairly extended. Soundstaging: quite nice, almost as good as the K701's driven by my old PS Audio GCHA (based on memory; don't have it anymore).

FWIW, I was listening to some WAV & high quality MP3 files downloaded from Metaxas Audio; some great quality recordings, easily on par with or better than Chesky IMO.

Only had about 1/2 hour of time, but this looks real promising, even as a headphone amp (no speaker listening yet). Won't have much time over the next couple nights to listen too much, but hope to get a little time in here and there.

Not sure if the future orders will be at $250 or the $200, but in either case I think this is likely well worth it, especially given the flexibility mentioned in this thread.

Thanks. Ordered a silver one~

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #49 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for the impression. Seems like a no-lose situation to try this product

Apr 20, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #50 of 82
Any of you care to give advice/opinion?

1. Could this little amp drive a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's (sensitivity rated @ 90dB)?

2. How exactly should one connect this amp to an Apogee Duet? I have no clue which connector from the Duet break-out cable to use...or even if it can be connected to the Duet.

Yes, I am a newb...

EDIT: Given the RJ45 speaker outs on the Icon, how could I bi-wire the RS1's? Is that a stupid question?

Apr 20, 2008 at 9:05 AM Post #52 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't have any preamp outputs, just RJ45-style speaker-level outputs.

Oh yes it does. (Sorry for the repeat message...)

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #53 of 82
I'm just not used to seeing preamp outputs in 1/8" stereo form factor, and it's listed as "Line Out (for Subwoofer) connection" in the specs, so technically, there was a slim chance it could have been mono. But NuForce confirms otherwise in this blurb:

Quote:

For operation as an audiophile-grade preamplifier, the Icon’s linestage can be connected to a power amp or active speakers.

Apr 27, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #54 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any of you care to give advice/opinion?

1. Could this little amp drive a pair of Monitor Audio RS1's (sensitivity rated @ 90dB)?

2. How exactly should one connect this amp to an Apogee Duet? I have no clue which connector from the Duet break-out cable to use...or even if it can be connected to the Duet.

Yes, I am a newb...

EDIT: Given the RJ45 speaker outs on the Icon, how could I bi-wire the RS1's? Is that a stupid question?

1) Yes it can drive without breaking a sweat. The soon to be release NuForce S-1 are rated at 87db.

2) Use the line out of the Duet and connect it into the Icon line in.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #56 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darthfunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Yes it can drive without breaking a sweat. The soon to be release NuForce S-1 are rated at 87db.

2) Use the line out of the Duet and connect it into the Icon line in.

I ended up totally switching my desired setup & canceled my Icon pre-order, and I even decided not to get the Monitor Audios since it would be such a hassle to get a pair (no local dealers). I ordered a Music Hall A25.2 integrated amp (which should be here late this coming week), an x-sub from AV123 & am still pondering what bookshelfs to buy (Paradigm Atoms or ELT525's from AVV123)... I might end up re-ordering the Icon this summer so I can have a decent work office setup...

Apr 27, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ended up totally switching my desired setup & canceled my Icon pre-order, and I even decided not to get the Monitor Audios since it would be such a hassle to get a pair (no local dealers). I ordered a Music Hall A25.2 integrated amp (which should be here late this coming week), an x-sub from AV123 & am still pondering what bookshelfs to buy (Paradigm Atoms or ELT525's from AVV123)... I might end up re-ordering the Icon this summer so I can have a decent work office setup...

Enjoy your new set up.

The NuForce Icon and S-1 (out end May) for your office set up would fit in nicely.

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #59 of 82
Update on my unit....still haven't had a ton of time to listen, but found a nice synergy apparently with MS-2i's. Pretty even top to bottom. I think there's a SLIGHT midrange reticence with the NuForce, but what's there seems pretty accurate. It may actually be the standout bass that accentuates this, too.

I just made up some Cat 5e 12ft cables to try out with speakers, hope to get a little time in tonight with that.

I also ordered a regulated Pyramid PS for this, overkill at variable voltage output (6-15V, Icon can take up to 15V) and 20amp. Be curious to see what kind of improvements it yields.

Last FYI: there is a reported issue with the USB functionality on the first batch, it loses the signal in some on/off situations. Minor nuisance, but I also read that NuForce is sending new boards out to owners.

If you bought it from NuForce, they should send the new one out automatically. If you bought from a dealer, touch base with them. I don't believe they're asking for the old boards back. This is from the Icon Forum off their website.

Sorry I don't have more to report, I'm sure many of you are hoping for in-depth reviews. Life just gets in the way of fun sometimes!
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #60 of 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back