NuForce introduces $199 amp w/ headphone jack
Jan 7, 2008 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

Jon L

For him, f/1.2 is a prime number
Nuforce Icon-1 - the next big thing from Nuforce (in a small package)

NuForce's bigger amps sound *real* good, so I for one hope these give the Super T amp, Trends, etc a real run for their money
smily_headphones1.gif

icon1redblueblacksilveryf5.jpg

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 82
Looks great, might be just what im looking for if im in uni halls again next year.

Will have to see what Skylabs TNS Sweet 2 review comes out like, as they are roughly the same price.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 82
One knob volume, one knob input selection. It comes with RJ45 to bannana plug cables so no need to worry about compatability.

Mar 29, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 82
Hmm... this looks like the solid state version of the TNS Sweet I've been looking for. No longer will I have to survive on simply headphones, now I could get some bookshelves and listen to those when I'm not in the 'phone mood
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #8 of 82
The RJ45 is the same plug use in the telephones, and faxes, that is where they messed it up IMO, a very poor choice for an output speaker out jack...the contacts on those jacks are not very good, and tend to be really poor done, why using them? I do not get it, with all the choices of the market for that
confused.gif
???

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #10 of 82
Actually I was just going to get some cheapo $50 Polk R150's
biggrin.gif

Oh, and this doesn't sound too good...

For optimal headphone performance, the Icon includes a discrete, high-performance headphone amplifier.

It makes it sound as if they stuffed an el cheapo headphone amp in the unit instead of running it off the primary amp. Can anyone confirm? I notice the people in the threads linked asked this as well, but no one ever answered.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #11 of 82
Not familiar with the company since I got into hi-fi audio from headphones...

This amp got a USB DAC also and seems the initial impressions are mainly speaker based, haven't seen any detailed review on the headphone amp + DAC.

It looks really interesting and could possibly be the next EMU 0404 USB in terms of versatility and value (less computer audio uses, more speaker uses).

I'll adopt a wait-n-see attitude, but from the look of things it might be better to nab one at the intro price if one has the funds to spare since it seems Nuforce is going to be backlogged for a looong time when/if the word does get out that it is indeed an amazing product like the early reviewers claimed. (if not already)

Mar 29, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RJ45 is the same plug use in the telephones, and faxes, that is where they messed it up IMO, a very poor choice for an output speaker out jack...the contacts on those jacks are not very good, and tend to be really poor done, why using them? I do not get it, with all the choices of the market for that
confused.gif
???

RJ11/RJ14 is used in phones, RJ45 is the kind used for Ethernet. Cat 5 cable (the most common variety) and connectors have to handle 100MHz signals, I would trust them far more than most of the audiophile snake oil out there. The conductors are solid, not braided. Obviously, they are limited in their ability to carry significant amps, but 802.3af Power over Ethernet (PoE) carries 12-15W DC power over these same cables. Then again, NuForce is a company run by a real engineer, not a snake oil peddler (I remember reading a profile on him in IEEE spectrum).

You may be interested in this preview of the Icon at SonicFlare

Mar 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM Post #13 of 82
I'm confused; how come sometimes I'll read about amps that are 100wpc that "can't drive x speakers", but then there will be some tiny 10 or 12wpc amp like this one that's driving inefficient speakers? Is that the advantage of T-amps? Would this amp be able to run a 4Ohm, 86dB loudspeaker?

Mar 29, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 82
It's a bit complicated. A speaker that is "rated "at 8 ohms actually isn't always 8 ohms. At some frequencies some speakers can drop down to just a few ohms, like 2 or 3 (or even less in some instances), and at other freq's it can be much higher then 8 ohms. When a speaker drops to a lower resistance, it demands more current from the amplifier. If an amp can't provide that current, it is often described as not being able to drive that speaker.

Ideally, an amp should produce twice as much power when driving 4 ohm loads as it does at 8 ohms. If you look at the specs for most amps, you will see not that many amps can do that. Thats as much a problem with the speakers design as it is with the amps design. Some speakers designs are known for being demanding loads for any amp.

I looked for an 4 ohm power output spec for this amp, and didn't find one (thats not unusual), but if I had to guess, I would say that it can drive 4 ohm/ 86 db speakers for typical listening. But that also depends on how loud you like to listen. Before buying one I would wait for further info and reviews, or e-mail Nuforce with your question, if this is important to you. Nuforce's other amps do have a good reputation with reviewers, however.

More info-
Loudspeaker Impedance

more detailed info on speaker impedance and power-
Home Toys Article - Speaker Impedance, Your Amplifier And You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back