NuForce introduces $199 amp w/ headphone jack
Jun 28, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #76 of 82
Icon makes a great companion to a Stax adapter box like the SRD-7 Pro.

Sep 21, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #79 of 82
Well, I continue to be impressed by the Nuforce Icon, and it seems that it would take an minor act of God to get me to part with it. Just wanted to get that off my chest.

Thanks for the nice review of the S-1. I would love to know more about the inner workings of the S-1 audio cable in how it tells the NuForce Icon to turn on EQ. I'd also love to see a high end (cryo or silver) speaker cable with EJ45 plug on one end and a banana plug on the other for use with ANY speakers. Cheers!

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #80 of 82
oh man! This looks pretty good, a bit less cheaper than the Compass and looks better!!!
Although I'm skeptical about the ports, and it seems like the internals are a different design to the Compass.
Decisions, decisions. Does anybody know which one works better as a DAC and Amp?

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #82 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by orthikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone using the line out to active speakers? impressions?

comparisons to other DACs with line outs fed to active speakers?

I use the line out (actually preamp out and volume controlled) to drive another amp, and it works fine. It's very clean and transparent without mucking up the sound. And, the DAC is at least as good and detailed as that on many of the top portable amps I have tried like 3MOVE, Predator and XM5. This would be a great dac amp for what you are asking about. You can hook it up to a computer, an MP3 player and a CD player or other RCA out device, and output preamp to powered speakers, the 12 watt out to non-powered speakers or stax transformer (like me) and still plug in a headphone to the front which cuts off the 12 watt speakers but doesn't affect the pre-amp out (which can run a sub or powered speakers).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back