NuForce introduces $199 amp w/ headphone jack
Apr 12, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is what you get from a "real IEEE engineer"..... "good enough, per my calculation you will never be able to hear the difference anyway"
biggrin.gif

More like from the marketing department, since 5532s are jellybeans (<$1 each).
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #32 of 82
this kind of amps are only targeting a small nitch market, uping the price by $10 for a pair of better sounding opamps will not reduce the sales a bit. I think it is either that "good enough" attitude, or, maybe the design is not new at all, and nobody bothered to change anything in it.

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #33 of 82
That's why it was rather surprising to see the 5532s in there, since everything else seems quite well designed. Might decide to try and get them swapped out once I get the unit.

Apr 13, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #34 of 82
I've read that, in the right circuit, the 5532 does a very good job. It's been a mainstay of audio for a while, there must be something good (aside form being cheap) about it.

I do wish, though, that they were socketed. I'd definitely try a couple LM4562's in there.

In any case, I couldn't resist, mine's coming Tuesday
tongue.gif
. I have no idea where I'd use it, I'm basically selling off my second speaker-based system due to lack of use, and lack of space TO use it. I will surely try the Icon as a USB DAC & headphone amp for late night listening....

Apr 13, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #35 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read that, in the right circuit, the 5532 does a very good job. It's been a mainstay of audio for a while, there must be something good (aside form being cheap) about it.

The Benchmark DAC1's analog section was designed around the NE5532, so it can't be too awful given the proper circuit. Then again, that's what people said about the OPA2132/2134 until they became popular.
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 82
Two reviews, one from a Head-Fi'er:
NuForce Icon owners / discussion thread

Ignoring this weakness in noise floor (this is only audible if your earphones are very sensitive), on the music..
ran a few evaluative tracks through, monty alexander's once i loved, joan baez's diamonds and rust, norah jones - new york city..
very good! by far one of the most decent headphone outputs i've listened to. comparing to the $750 IQube headphone amp, the synergy and clarity is just as good, and soundstage's pretty impressive, no longer compressed. sheffield lab's percussion was good, it was as though my earphones suddenly was more able to push more air.. (although its armatured)

As a bonus, Icon has a decent headphone amp. This is not a cheap trick, Icon employs a discrete circuit for the headphone amp. Again, the sound quality is very good, this is no mean feat for the headphone out of audio amps.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #37 of 82
Thanks for the info, CCBot. I'm feeling pretty good about my purchase now. Instead of it being another speaker amp I get little use from, I can possibly enjoy this regularly! Yippeee
tongue.gif

Whim purchases are SO fun.....

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #38 of 82
Well, I preordered one at $199. I'm not really sure what I need it for, but I might use it to replace my 0404 USB for a while as a preamp if it sounds any good.

It doesn't ship out till April 25....can't wait to try it. I am going to see if it can run my 83dBA speakers on my desktop

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #39 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I preordered one at $199. I'm not really sure what I need it for, but I might use it to replace my 0404 USB for a while as a preamp if it sounds any good.

It doesn't have any preamp outputs, just RJ45-style speaker-level outputs.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #40 of 82
May have to buy one for the June 21st Seattle Meet.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:15 PM Post #41 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It doesn't have any preamp outputs, just RJ45-style speaker-level outputs.

Yes it does. Look again

backviewdf0.jpg

From 6moons
Quote:

Before we descend into unspeakables, a quick look at what we've got. Three inputs (RCA, USB and 3.5mm stereo); RJ45 speaker outputs (RJ45-to-banana speaker cables are included), headphone output (31.25mW max output into a 32-ohm load) and line out (to subwoofer or to convert Icon into preamp). Low THD, linear frequency response, monster S/N ratio of 98dB. Universal 12-14V power adaptor. Mini dimensions of 6" x 4.5" x 1". Finger weight of 1 pound. Technology, damn. It just keeps shrinking. Nutz.

This is why I couldn't pass it up

What we have
- amp
- preamp (switchable between three sources, one digital USB, and two analog)
- DAC
- headphone amp (class A I believe)

All for $199 ($250). Pretty good if it all works well. And it looks great too. Jason from Nuforce claims the amp/preamp is audiophile quality. If that is even half true, it is a great value

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #44 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where is the best place to purchase this? Is the 199 price still available?

The 199 USD price was a promo for the amp in silver color. It looks like the pre-order for that is closed now though. Now it's just listed as out of stock or currently unavailable. Argh. I hope they bring it back.

Apr 16, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #45 of 82
I checked Amazon this morning and the preorder button for the silver one is active again. Go get them now if you want one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back