Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Oct 26, 2016 at 6:57 AM Post #2,326 of 6,459
Hmm what would be the best cable for a Focal Utopia? I was thinking about copper perhaps the Draug 2 or the Zoetic.

I would stay away from silver and choose the Draug V2C for Utopia.

Oct 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #2,327 of 6,459
Hmm what would be the best cable for a Focal Utopia? I was thinking about copper perhaps the Draug 2 or the Zoetic.
There seems to be a bit of talk around for a copper cable for these

However i have not heard them yet so i have no opinion yet.

But im happy to offer my time and give you an objective opinion by listening to them if you send them to me. No problem doing the burn in for you on these for you for FREE.

Oct 26, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #2,328 of 6,459
thanks for the information, hope you have a great time jamming out on your favorite headphones.:)

Oct 27, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #2,329 of 6,459
I was just dipping my toe into cable upgrades, when Trevor at Norne facilitated a big head to head comparison.  Props to Trevor for submitting his work to blind testing!  Was able to listen to the Noetic, Draug and a "mystery" silver cable in rapid succession on many types of music and was very interested in what I heard a a cable non-believer.

Image shows all cables in comparison – from upper left – “Mystery Silver” cable, upper right – Norne Noetic, bottom right – Norne Draug, remaining cables are stock hifiman (original and v2 on bottom center)

Oct 27, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #2,330 of 6,459
Special shout out to Trevor. He has been responding to my questions quickly helping me decide the right cable for my tastes rather than pushing me the most expensive one. That goes to show that he is looking out for his customers. Also very pleasant to deal with . Just placed an order for a cable. Can't wait to get it..thanks again Trevor for all your help

Pc

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,331 of 6,459
I got a Draug 2 cable from Trevor for my Ether C Flow.  It's a mix of black and copper colored wire sheathing and looks incredible attached to my headphones.  The sound is fantastic...much better than the stock cable (IMHO).  I have it terminated in a 4-pin XLR plug so I can used my balanced-out on my Schiit Jotunheim Amp/DAC combo. 
biggrin.gif

A very happy customer!  Thanks Trevor!
Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

P.S.- I'm packing for a move and unfortunately cannot attach a picture at this time.  I hope to later along with providing some sound impressions with the cable.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:34 AM Post #2,332 of 6,459

Quote:
thanks for the information, hope you have a great time jamming out on your favorite headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

There seems to be a bit of talk around for a copper cable for these

However i have not heard them yet so i have no opinion yet.

But im happy to offer my time and give you an objective opinion by listening to them if you send them to me. No problem doing the burn in for you on these for you for FREE.

After having compared the Eternus (silver cable) vs. the Draug 2 with the Utopia, I have seen the potential that silver cables can have over copper.

The Eternus offers an extra level of clarity over the Draug 2 when it comes to the Utopia. For example, vocals on the Draug 2 sound a bit veiled in comparison to the Eternus where vocals are crystal clear and it feels as though the singer is in the room with me. Micro details in the background are a lot more clearly heard with the Eternus. The Eternus provides a really focused sound whereas the Draug 2 is laid back.

Perhaps I have just gotten used to the Eternus sound over time, but it is hard to go back to a laid back sound after hearing how much detail the silver cable can put out. 

So yeah, I wouldn't completely rule out silver cable for the Utopia.

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:01 AM Post #2,333 of 6,459
After having compared the Eternus (silver cable) vs. the Draug 2 with the Utopia, I have seen the potential that silver cables can have over copper.

The Eternus offers an extra level of clarity over the Draug 2 when it comes to the Utopia. For example, vocals on the Draug 2 sound a bit veiled in comparison to the Eternus where vocals are crystal clear and it feels as though the singer is in the room with me. Micro details in the background are a lot more clearly heard with the Eternus. The Eternus provides a really focused sound whereas the Draug 2 is laid back.

Perhaps I have just gotten used to the Eternus sound over time, but it is hard to go back to a laid back sound after hearing how much detail the silver cable can put out. 

I had a similar experience with my hd800 and silvergarde and d2 cable.

Silvergarde was my first cable and the detail was IMMEDIATELY astonishing. And the bass. I did have to adjust to the overall more prominent upper end though. Which i did. Partly by changing interconnects.

Than in grabbing a d2 i was missng the silver level of detail on this and the bass (relatively speaking) sounded a little loose.

But before i knew it it snuck up on me and i now find it hard to put one ahead of the over. (And i had it up for sale for a week)

Maybe theres some cable burn in, maybe some brain burn in but i also believe a big part was allowing myself to just listen and enjoy and not look for the silver level detail.

Its like the spiritual journey of releasing onself's expecatation.....uuummmmmmm

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #2,334 of 6,459

You nailed the difference between silver and copper. However, you have to use very very high quality and purity silver with good cable construction, otherwise, it may be too bright or at times even slightly sibilance to some people on the Utopia. Trevor can definitely help in this regard.

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #2,335 of 6,459
The Silvergarde has spoiled me. The bass was the immediate difference I noticed even switching from my 8 wire Therium. I'm pretty confident that I'd never be happy with anything but a pure silver cable from Trevor. 

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #2,336 of 6,459
And then theres the hybrid - arcane

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #2,337 of 6,459
The Silvergarde has spoiled me. The bass was the immediate difference I noticed even switching from my 8 wire Therium. I'm pretty confident that I'd never be happy with anything but a pure silver cable from Trevor. 

How is the Silvergarde different from from the Therium?

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #2,338 of 6,459

How is the Silvergarde different from from the Therium?

wire gauge, cotton vs carbon core, amongst other things im sure.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2,339 of 6,459
Eternus is the current flagship...but anyone knows whats the difference between this and Silvergarde?

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:45 AM Post #2,340 of 6,459
ToolmanMessage Trevor re silver cables. His website is indicating there is also a silver draug 2 on the horizon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back