Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Oct 9, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #1,007 of 6,508
I finally received the Draug 2 cable Trevor had sent on Sep 15!!. It was stuck in customs for till yesterday, when they finally mailed it.
Customs received it on Sep 19th and took 20 days to clear it. I will never use USPS again as i have to depend on the local post to send it.

Unfortunately received it while in office. If i had gotten it at home, would have run test tones, sine waves and pink noise loops throughout the day.
Will do it today though. Hopefully it will be all broken by the weekend. Can' wait to use with the HE-560!

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #1,008 of 6,508
  I finally received the Draug 2 cable Trevor had sent on Sep 15!!. It was stuck in customs for till yesterday, when they finally mailed it.
Customs received it on Sep 19th and took 20 days to clear it. I will never use USPS again as i have to depend on the local post to send it.

Unfortunately received it while in office. If i had gotten it at home, would have run test tones, sine waves and pink noise loops throughout the day.
Will do it today though. Hopefully it will be all broken by the weekend. Can' wait to use with the HE-560!

nicolo,  sorry to hear this happened.  It is actually really rare in my experience shipping with USPS "Express" since 2010, but can happen from time to time with certain countries. 
Typically when going with USPS Express (plus invoice) the items get through customs quick without hassle.  I have noticed it happened maybe 4 (now maybe 5) times in 4+ years with Express.
With priority international, slowness in customs seems to happen much more often so we try to avoid priority.  The problem with going with FedEx/UPS is the high cost and we cant offer
such low Express international rates.  Perhaps I will also put a more expensive Fedex/UPS shipping option just in case someone wants to use it.

Regardless I hope you can finally enjoy your system with it soon, and again sorry to hear this happened to your cable with customs. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #1,009 of 6,508
  nicolo,  sorry to hear this happened.  It is actually really rare in my experience shipping with USPS "Express" since 2010, but can happen from time to time with certain countries. 
Typically when going with USPS Express (plus invoice) the items get through customs quick without hassle.  I have noticed it happened maybe 4 (now maybe 5) times in 4+ years with Express.
With priority international, slowness in customs seems to happen much more often so we try to avoid priority.  The problem with going with FedEx/UPS is the high cost and we cant offer
such low Express international rates.  Perhaps I will also put a more expensive Fedex/UPS shipping option just in case someone wants to use it.

Regardless I hope you can finally enjoy your system with it soon, and again sorry to hear this happened to your cable with customs. 

Actually it's more the local customs fault than USPS. The problem is that USPS depends on the local post office for delivery, which means i am basically at the mercy of the local post office here. BTW the local customs and post office here suck. When i was staying in another Indian city, i used to prefer USPS as it was cheaper and the customs and post office were super efficient.

I appreciate that Fedex and UPS are expensive. You could also have a look at Aramex. It's cheap and preferred by Amazon when shipping to Asian countries i thing. EMS is also another option

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,010 of 6,508
I am hoping to order some Norne cables soon and have some questions:

I am considering ordering the Draug v2 with:

*NEW* Draug v2 - 8x24awg (24-wire / multi-core, equiv. 4x21awg) Litz OCC Tri Multi-Conductor headphone cable
Draug Length: 5 ft. or 6 ft
Draug Headphone Type: Audeze (or HD800 see questions below)
Cable Color Choice: Black/Brown
Termination: 4-pin XLR (HD-Series..
Exotic Wood Splitter

NEW* Draug v2 Series headphone cable adapters
- Headphone Cable End: 4-pin XLR female (HD..
- Cable Color Choice: Black/Brown
- Device End: Viablue 1/4"
- Adapter Length: 6 inch.

My primary use would be for HD800 but I have HE-500's and PM2's as well, and will probably add some Audeze in the future.  My question is if I want to get Audeze connectors and then add adapters for the other 3, which cable choice should I be making to use with the Draug v2 cables? 

Will I be giving up anything in sound quality by using headphone adapters?  If so I can consider ordering just for the HD800's now and adding other cables down the road for the others, but it would save a lot if the headphone adapters can be used with one cable.

Color matching for the headphone adapters.  Is there a way to get the cable colors to match the Draug v2 for the headphone adapters?  I don't see that option on the site.  

In terms of the 4-pin XLR and then the adapter to go from 4-pin to 1/4", are the above good choices?  Are there other selections that offer better sound quality or durability?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,011 of 6,508
You may want to consider mini-XLR adapters instead of full size XLR. I've had both cables. I really liked the full size XLR adapters initially but the ergonomics stink. I had to keep the connection on a table and ensure they were never hanging or else risk the weight of the XLR connectors damaging wire/amp. I then switched to a Norne mini-XLR adapter set and couldn't be happier.

Oct 18, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,013 of 6,508

Thanks for the recommendation on using the mini connectors, sounds like a great idea.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,014 of 6,508
  You may want to consider mini-XLR adapters instead of full size XLR. I've had both cables. I really liked the full size XLR adapters initially but the ergonomics stink. I had to keep the connection on a table and ensure they were never hanging or else risk the weight of the XLR connectors damaging wire/amp. I then switched to a Norne mini-XLR adapter set and couldn't be happier.

Nice suggestion, I'm running into that same issue.

Oct 20, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #1,015 of 6,508
Is the Drug2 the Best possible cable for the HD800 headphones?

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #1,016 of 6,508
Oct 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #1,018 of 6,508
I've ordered the Vanquish for my HE-560. The sooner it comes the sooner I can get a Violectric V281 :)

excellent choice. .
From my listening, the 560 come more alive with the Vanquish over the Draug2 and also one of most impressive Ive herd from the he560..
Curious how different headphones do better with different cables.

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #1,019 of 6,508
Recently, I have heard my setup (HD800) with proper power regeneration (Power inspired AG500). This opened the stage and created a blacker background. Because of this, the positive improvements switching from stock to Draug v2 became much more apparent. I heard for the first time properly a larger stage. Once, I have bought it, I will come back with more details but it really let the Draug shine.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #1,020 of 6,508
excellent choice. .
From my listening, the 560 come more alive with the Vanquish over the Draug2 and also one of most impressive Ive herd from the he560..
Curious how different headphones do better with different cables.

It wasn't so much a choice. I originally ordered the cable for my Alpha Dogs, but sold them and bought the HE-560. I've already inconvenienced Trevor plenty by changing the connectors from Alpha Dog to Hifiman, then the termination from SE to 4 pin XLR. I might have ordered the Druag or something different if I didn't think it would put me at the bottom of the waiting list. It's good to learn that the Vanquish is as highly thought of in conjunction with the HE-560 as with the AD. Hopefully it'll arrive not long after I take delivery of my new amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back