Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Apr 11, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #5,176 of 6,461
I didn't get a concrete answer from him either, other than the Silvergarde was still his TOTL cable. I always thought silver & copper cable mix was worse than either pure copper or pure silver.
The whole Metallurgy topic isn't that simple.
If the "mix" is an alloy made out of copper and silver it's conductivity is significantly worse than pure copper or pure silver.

However trevor uses complete pure copper strands and complete pure silver strands. Which is the best way to do it.

Then there is silver plated copper which is yet another thing, but my knowledge isn't very firm here, so I rather avoid spreading misinformation.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #5,177 of 6,461
The whole Metallurgy topic isn't that simple.
If the "mix" is an alloy made out of copper and silver it's conductivity is significantly worse than pure copper or pure silver.

However trevor uses complete pure copper strands and complete pure silver strands. Which is the best way to do it.

Then there is silver plated copper which is yet another thing, but my knowledge isn't very firm here, so I rather avoid spreading misinformation.
I get Trevor's philosophy on using the pure strands of either silver or copper, and it makes total since. However, I would not say it is the "best" way of doing it. I think it is one way of doing it, and a very good one, but I have heard some amazing cables with different metals and alloys mixed, as well. When it comes to high end cables, there are different flavors for different taste and synergies, and I for one am glad for it. Having tried several different types, I tend to prefer copper or a mix of something with copper in it. I have had a Silvergarde S1 and S2, and sold them both as I preferred my all copper Draug 3. Now that I have the Draug 3SC Fusion, I can clearly hear the best traits of the silver and copper working together (a well executed design by Trevor), and it is darn near perfect for my system synergy and preferences.

As far as silver plated copper, I don't care for it at all, as most of the cables I have heard made of that material push the mids back, and boost the bass and highs. I am a mids guy, so don't care for the SPC at all. This is just my experience and opinion by the way. :wink: I love me some cables, and always upgrade them all, from the wall all the way to the headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #5,178 of 6,461
I get Trevor's philosophy on using the pure strands of either silver or copper, and it makes total since. However, I would not say it is the "best" way of doing it. I think it is one way of doing it, and a very good one, but I have heard some amazing cables with different metals and alloys mixed, as well. When it comes to high end cables, there are different flavors for different taste and synergies, and I for one am glad for it. Having tried several different types, I tend to prefer copper or a mix of something with copper in it. I have had a Silvergarde S1 and S2, and sold them both as I preferred my all copper Draug 3. Now that I have the Draug 3SC Fusion, I can clearly hear the best traits of the silver and copper working together (a well executed design by Trevor), and it is darn near perfect for my system synergy and preferences.

As far as silver plated copper, I don't care for it at all, as most of the cables I have heard made of that material push the mids back, and boost the bass and highs. I am a mids guy, so don't care for the SPC at all. This is just my experience and opinion by the way. :wink: I love me some cables, and always upgrade them all, from the wall all the way to the headphones.
My comment about it being "thr best way" was from a technical standpoint.

Pure strands have by far the best conductivity. That doesn't mean that the resulting Sound is preferable to everyone.
So it is very well possible that you like a cable using an alloy.
Similar to how some really like Palladium in their cables, which has absolutely terrible conductivity. (Roughly 1/6th of copper)

The whole cable topic is way more complex than it seems on the surface, which is probably the reason most headphone manufacturers leave it to the aftermarket

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #5,179 of 6,461
My comment about it being "thr best way" was from a technical standpoint.

Pure strands have by far the best conductivity. That doesn't mean that the resulting Sound is preferable to everyone.
So it is very well possible that you like a cable using an alloy.
Similar to how some really like Palladium in their cables, which has absolutely terrible conductivity. (Roughly 1/6th of copper)

The whole cable topic is way more complex than it seems on the surface, which is probably the reason most headphone manufacturers leave it to the aftermarket
Got ya, and totally agree.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #5,180 of 6,461
The larger gauge of the TOTL copper Drausk was actually a huge selling point for me. I realize that many of the other Norne Audio owners have different budgets and requirements. Since this was to be my first order ever with Trevor, I decided to see what he could do with his version on a high-end copper cable.

I definitely agree that many factors come into play with one's personal system. That's the fun part in this whole adventure in audio. Making educated decisions, and seeing how they work out for you. And then taking it from that point forward.

I will say, at this point my experience with Trevor has been a very good one indeed. He has been quick with email replies and has offered great thoughts and insight into questions I've had. He's also been open about a few upcoming yet to be announced releases he's just finalizing now. He's also been open on the reality that raw materials, silver(for wire) particularly but also rhodium(for connections) had really become expensive. He's done a great job holding the line on prices but it's known that these raw material price increases are real. With that said, I can personally say that I feel like we are in great hands. We have a craftsman who isn't afraid to try new things, who isn't allowing themselves to get complacent, and who keeps on top of the game. So I guess the question of silver vs. copper vs. hybrid is really all about personal choice. I guess we can't really choose wrong.

Apr 11, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #5,181 of 6,461
Any drausk versus volsund comparisons ?

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #5,182 of 6,461
Hello,

I have ordered silver s3 clear for my VC and look forward to it! When I placed the order yesterday it said it’s in stock but do we know what the estimated shipping time would be? Hope not in months!

Thanks

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #5,183 of 6,461
Hello,

I have ordered silver s3 clear for my VC and look forward to it! When I placed the order yesterday it said it’s in stock but do we know what the estimated shipping time would be? Hope not in months!

Thanks
In stock means wire and terminations are there but it has to be made up. Times vary hope for the best!!!

Apr 13, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #5,184 of 6,461
Hello,

Thanks

Congratulations.

Why don't you drop Mr. Norne Audio aka Trevor an email. It might be good to touch base and you can get an idea of an approximate time frame.

Apr 13, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #5,185 of 6,461
Hello,

Thanks
Times vary, but having read a lot of Norne Audio comments over time and ordered/received/fallen in love with a Norne Drausk, I’d say average build/ship time is 4-6 weeks at most. If you are in the contiguous US that may include delivery time as well.

That said, the suggestion of emailing Trevor is a very good one- he would appreciate hearing from you- he appreciates the head-fi community support!

Congratulations on ordering, Trevor’s creations are truly something- just like ZMFs from what I hear (an Atticus is on my birthday wish list). In other words, heirloom-quality gear.

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #5,186 of 6,461
Times vary, but having read a lot of Norne Audio comments over time and ordered/received/fallen in love with a Norne Drausk, I’d say average build/ship time is 4-6 weeks at most. If you are in the contiguous US that may include delivery time as well.

That said, the suggestion of emailing Trevor is a very good one- he would appreciate hearing from you- he appreciates the head-fi community support!

Congratulations on ordering, Trevor’s creations are truly something- just like ZMFs from what I hear (an Atticus is on my birthday wish list). In other words, heirloom-quality gear.
Okay - I might just reach out to Trevor and see if I can get an estimate on date. Is there any specific way to reach or just emailing norneaudio@gmail.com I got from their site would do?

thanks

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #5,187 of 6,461
Okay - I might just reach out to Trevor and see if I can get an estimate on date. Is there any specific way to reach or just emailing norneaudio@gmail.com I got from their site would do?

thanks

That email address is good. Or you can do what I did which is just reply to the order # confirmation email you received. That way you can now have an order number attached to all your correspondence.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #5,188 of 6,461
@Wes S @RobertSM
Would be great to hear your impressions on the Drausk cable that you are getting. Am having the VO/ Draug 3 pairing and it is the best I've heard so far. Am curious to know how much further the Drausk can improve on the sound (since you guys also own the Verite).

Keen to read the sharing from anyone with experience with both the Drausk and Draug 3 cables as well. Thanks.

Apr 13, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #5,189 of 6,461
@Wes S @RobertSM
Would be great to hear your impressions on the Drausk cable that you are getting. Am having the VO/ Draug 3 pairing and it is the best I've heard so far. Am curious to know how much further the Drausk can improve on the sound (since you guys also own the Verite).

Keen to read the sharing from anyone with experience with both the Drausk and Draug 3 cables as well. Thanks.

Absolutely! My order is currently in production but I'll happily post impressions as soon as I receive my Drausk.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #5,190 of 6,461
Hello,

Thanks
I ordered The Drausk on the 4/4 and it's going to be delivered tomorrow. From what I've read in this thread I wasn't expecting such a quick turnaround, but I knew that going in and was okay with it. I did order a standard five footer so maybe that had something to do with it..
Thanks Trevor for answering all my many questions, and for the upgraded shipping at no cost to me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back