Norne Audio (Was: Norse Audio): Feedback & Impression Thread
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #3,451 of 6,459
Hey guys i have tested Silver Grade S2 cable on my hifiman susvara , and i compared it side to side with Toxic Cable Silver Widow.

i would like to say that Trevor's skills are really stunning, the sound quality were above that what i expected coming from Toxic Audio. out of the box like any other cable i needed time for burn in and for my head to get used to the audio, you always need at least 100 hours before you judge on a cable.

i compared the Treble Difference on various rigs, such as WA7 (tube amp option) and m75 tube amp which is a power house. also tried it on Hugo 2 directly. i was trying to spot the changes within the setup, and this cable is so neutral and setup dependent, which shows how can it adapt and bring the best out of your setup.

now regarding sound itself, the Treble is sparkly and extended beyond what i heard on any previous silver cable, and thats shocking to me coming from SW22 cable,which is Frank's signature cable for silver lovers. the bass texture and speed is fast and transparent, and the sub bass isn't falling behind too. as for mids they are so vivid and spot on, which is hard to achieve with many cables that offers both bass and treble, thus why few resort to lyrebird or high end copper cables.

it made my Susvara's bass, to be able to reach my previous HE-6 bass speed, as for the punch the HE-6 still the winner here, yet thats to Silver S2, i dont find myself leaning toward HE-6 anymore.

even on tube amps i am having a lot fun.

now i want all my cables from now on to be from Norne Audio for sure, Mr Trevor sure earned his customers with hard work and massive amount of testing he does, before coming up with new updates which serve all the community's needs.

20180818_111118.jpg
Nice impressions! Trevor really delivers with his silver cables :wink:
Pics of your Silvergarde S2!

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:58 AM Post #3,452 of 6,459
Nice impressions! Trevor really delivers with his silver cables :wink:
Pics of your Silvergarde S2!

here is the sleeved sleeping monster :wink:

thumbnail_VolsundEX-05s.png

next i am getting a CIEM/IEM one for my Empire Ear the Legend X and NT6-Pro.

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #3,454 of 6,459
Oh so it's yours the one pictured on Volsund's page :)
my cable isn't with me, i got this photo from Trevor when i was ordering :3 beside all cables looks the same when sleeved xD

will add photos once i get my new cable as well.

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #3,456 of 6,459
Hello,
With all these new cables appeared at Norne Audio web-site I'm a little confused which option to select. Could anybody advice which is the optimal cable from current product line for Audeze LCD-4?
Thanks in advance!
what do you want from the cable? what doyou want to improve, come out, be accentuated, etc

Dec 5, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #3,457 of 6,459
Hello,
With all these new cables appeared at Norne Audio web-site I'm a little confused which option to select. Could anybody advice which is the optimal cable from current product line for Audeze LCD-4?
Thanks in advance!

If you can afford an LCD-4, I'd say go all out and get his new Flagship cable - Envaldi Reference.

Otherwise, I'd highly recommend his Silver cables - Silvergarde, or Dragur Silver (cheapest all-silver he has).

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:20 AM Post #3,458 of 6,459
what do you want from the cable? what doyou want to improve, come out, be accentuated, etc
Probably, to improve resolution and dynamics. If possible, slightly compensate known LCD-4 recess at upper midrange. Definitely do not want any additional bump at upper treble.

If you can afford an LCD-4, I'd say go all out and get his new Flagship cable - Envaldi Reference....
Yes, these are variants I consider. But, for instance, will 8-wire Silvergarde still be better for LCD-4 than Envaldi or wise versa, and in what aspects?

Dec 6, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #3,459 of 6,459
If you can afford an LCD-4, I'd say go all out and get his new Flagship cable - Envaldi Reference.

Absolutely no offense meant, but I want to point out that I do not agree with this logic. Just because someone owns a high-end unit does not mean they are not on a budget with respect to how much more they can spend on audio gear. For example, I purchased the LCD-MX4 and paid quite a bit for it. I do not regret it for a second. I can afford it, but this does not mean that the difference between a $200 or 500 cable is irrelevant to me. I just decided that the headphones are the most important element for the experience, then went for a decent AMP/DAC for this particular headphone, and at this point yes... a $300 difference (or whatever it is) is meaningful still to my budget. I want a good cable, but I wouldn't say double the price, I don't care, give me the absolute best.

Editing: I see now that you were just recommending the flagship cable but also offering suggestions on the more affordable ones. Although the point I am making about budgets stands, I see that it's not a proper response to what you stated. :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #3,460 of 6,459
Probably, to improve resolution and dynamics. If possible, slightly compensate known LCD-4 recess at upper midrange. Definitely do not want any additional bump at upper treble.

Yes, these are variants I consider. But, for instance, will 8-wire Silvergarde still be better for LCD-4 than Envaldi or wise versa, and in what aspects?
Mmmm.. i have not heard the s3 but own the silver draug and have had the s2. I’m thinking that silver might not “cure” the recess you mention though will do well everywhere else.

However I also recently bought the volsund and solvx3.
(I find the volsund (relative to the stock cable) and the sd work really well with my hd800 for details

However Trevor’s hybrid solvx3 has worked REALLY well with my humble lcd2. Easily my preferred option. A great pleasant surprise

So i’m thinking perhaps the top hybrid (envaldi) might be a serious contender, if i draw a long bow or two from my personal experiences with lesser gear

EDIT: I just realised the envaldi is NOT a hybrid but is pure silver - i better re read this/look into this one further....and get my facts right
EDIT EDIT: Hang on, it is a hybrid - i'm not going mad after all

As usual ymmv and ask trevor

Edit: if you do buy the envaldi then i happy for you to send me that and your lcd4 for a a month so i can give you my opinion on that combo too. Just sayin’

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #3,461 of 6,459
oops double post

Dec 6, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #3,462 of 6,459

Most of Norne's cables are on the smoother side. I'm not sure about boosting the upper-midrange, but they can smooth over treble while keeping the extension and detail (with silver), so it may help with perceiving that midrange more...

Your source would have more influence on that midrange in my experience - for example, a DS DAC vs an R2R DAC or a Tube amp.

I only suggest a headphone cable if you want more of what's already there - details, dynamics, etc.

The only time I heard a cable noticeably boost the upper mid-range is the Ares II (by Effect Audio) for IEMs. I haven't heard a headphone cable that alters a sound signature as much as an IEM cable.

Yeah, that's a question better suited to Trevor himself... Just email him as he's very responsive.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #3,463 of 6,459

From what I got from Trevor, the Envaldi is the smoothest in treble of his silver cables & the 8-wire Silvergarde is warmer sounding than the 4-wire version. Though I remember him talking about a new experimental silver cable as well.

Dec 7, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #3,464 of 6,459
From what I got from Trevor, the Envaldi is the smoothest in treble of his silver cables & the 8-wire Silvergarde is warmer sounding than the 4-wire version. Though I remember him talking about a new experimental silver cable as well.
there's always something new lmao

Dec 8, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #3,465 of 6,459
Can I get a bit of help? I am a Wywires user and have been quite happy. Most of the Norne users seem to be too. I have a Senn HD 600 with a Toxic Silver Poison cable that works rather well.
I am thinking about another headphone purchase, a Senn HD 650. Are there any Norne & HD 650 users here that may recommend a Norne wire or at least share your experience. I am not too worried about the price, since driven by a DNA Stratus, the HD 650 punches way above its weight. Just want to guild the lilley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back