Nordost Heimdall headphone cable
Mar 9, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #137 of 191
The Heimdall 2 family has arrived !

First impressions was very happy with the presentation packing etc. If anyone wants photos I will take some.

I tried the optical 75ohm S/PDIF 1st. Noticed straight away a reduction in noise and better timing, I like the way it comes with BNC as standard with an optional true 75ohm gold RCA connector. Its also directional.

Next up were the RCA's, same as above and relieved that they fitted my Hugo.

Finally the HP cable arrived this afternoon, very well made, I appreciate that Nordost has provided so many termination options with he cables. Normally I would have to hunting for various connectors, nice they have it all covered.

Listening to them on my LCD-X's not too bright at all, very revealing, quieter than the ALO Salty Pepper's and tonally richer. Best of all worlds really!

Will burn these in for a few hundred hours but straight off they are worth the $

I have LCD X, planning to buy a aftermarket cable; whichyou prefer? a nordost a cardass or moon audio? If it is life changing, I can pay for nordost.

Mar 9, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #138 of 191
For the X I tried Nordost Heimdall 2, Cardas Clear & ALO Salty Pepper.

The Nordorst was very resolving but tended at least on my system at that time to be a little on the lean side and over time became fatiguing. Typical of Silver cables. It was good, but ultimately I went with the Cardas Clear as I found it to be just as revealing but had a lush midrange which suited my tastes better.

I never liked Cardas cable before the Clear has a different sonic signature, not as dark and with good clarity. IMHO the X's are aready revealing so if you have tube gear then it could be each way, if you have SS then the Cardas is probably a better choice in my experience.

The ALO was not as good as either of the above.

YMMV - with cables such a personal choice, if you can best to demo at home or buy with a return policy.
Please tell me after all the research where did you guys settle over LCDX? I am planning to get a schiit raggy and an aftermarket cable for it and call ita day; so I will get the best. The DAC is yaggy.

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #139 of 191
The Heimdall 2 HP cable needs about 200hrs burn-in - the sound improves significantly, becomes smoother.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #141 of 191
Up to you, I suppose, but it made a noticeable difference in my set-up. Initially I wasn't too impressed and actually sold mine to another headfier who lived near me. They ran it in for a week before deciding they preferred Audeze's stock cable, so I bought it back off them and was surprised at the difference (I hadn't run it in very much). So it's expensive if you end up preferring your old cable. Some retailers might let you return it for credit if you don't rate it.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #142 of 191
Up to you, I suppose, but it made a noticeable difference in my set-up. Initially I wasn't too impressed and actually sold mine to another headfier who lived near me. They ran it in for a week before deciding they preferred Audeze's stock cable, so I bought it back off them and was surprised at the difference (I hadn't run it in very much). So it's expensive if you end up preferring your old cable. Some retailers might let you return it for credit if you don't rate it.
Thank you for writing back; however I am confused I guess. Your conclusion is not clear to me. Is it worth the money?

Mar 10, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #143 of 191
To me: yes
To the guy I sold it to and then bought it back from: no
To you: who knows?

Aug 12, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #147 of 191
Hi apologies for the ignorance but could someone please confirm whether the 3.5 mm balanced jack works with a standard unbalanced headphone socket (Oppo HS-2SE, dragonfly red or hugo2 for example)? Thanks for any and all support

Aug 13, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #148 of 191
Are you sure it's a balanced 3.5mm?

My Heimdall came with standard 3.5 and 6.35 jacks that attach to a balanced XLR jack. I don't think it's balanced unless you use the XLR directly.

Aug 13, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #149 of 191
Are you sure it's a balanced 3.5mm?

My Heimdall came with standard 3.5 and 6.35 jacks that attach to a balanced XLR jack. I don't think it's balanced unless you use the XLR directly.

Firstly thank you for your reply. To be perfectly honest I assumed that as there were XLR connections then the jack was also balanced TPS although from the description this is a standard stereo jack as you have also clarified. In this case what happens to the signal when it passed through the stereo jack to XLR connector? Does it get converted to balanced through that until it reaches the mini XLRs on the headphones themselves (Audeze in my case)?

Again my sincere apologies for my ignorance on these matter, I only started reading about the difference between balanced and unbalanced cabling yesterday....

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #150 of 191
Mm...also available for Heimdall 2 is the 4.4 mm short adaptor for balanced (XLR to Pentaconn). I have 2 Heimdalls (one for Sennheiser HD series and another for the Focal Utopia and Sony Z1R using an adaptor on the headphone side) and with the 4.4 mm (bal) , 3.5 mm (unbal) , 6.3 mm (unbal) and XLR (bal), it is a complete cable system. Worth it very much for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back