Nordost Heimdall headphone cable
Aug 13, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #151 of 191
Mm...also available for Heimdall 2 is the 4.4 mm short adaptor for balanced (XLR to Pentaconn). I have 2 Heimdalls (one for Sennheiser HD series and another for the Focal Utopia and Sony Z1R using an adaptor) and with the 4.4 mm., 3.5 mm, 6.3 mm and XLR, it is a complete cable system. Worth it very much for me.
Personally I have already ordered them for the Audeze LCD-4z (that I am collecting from the dealer tomorrow). I have not heard these but have used several nordost interconnect cables in the past and absolutely loved what they did to the sound so I’m going on a trust purchase. I should have enough time with the standard Audeze cables (before the Nordosts arrive) to allow a good comparison when they do arrive (and burn in)

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #152 of 191
Considered Nordost but found it difficult to source. Looked into Valhalla series of interconnects had a hard time finding a price even. Went for audio quest fire, excellent xlr. Even got it on sale however they are not cheap...wonder if anyone is ever fortunate to a/b Nordost and fire

Aug 13, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #153 of 191
I'm not convinced there's much benefit in using a balanced cable. The quality of construction and materials used will affect the sound more. My current amp, a Chord TT2, doesn't even have a balanced input.

Aug 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #154 of 191
I'm not convinced there's much benefit in using a balanced cable. The quality of construction and materials used will affect the sound more. My current amp, a Chord TT2, doesn't even have a balanced input.
even tho i use TT i balance out XLR to a fully balanced pre amp then balanced cable to my HP. the benefits are subjective preferences but i like the concept of complete separation of left and right channels, left and right voltage, neither the two will meet or cross talk. Sure the system can scale up nice but TT2 can do it se. I just chose balanced.

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #155 of 191
I have never even tried balanced connections let alone perform an A/B comparison so I honestly have no idea. My preference would be to upgrade to a Hugo 2 in the near future so that would rule out balanced connectors as well

Aug 14, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #156 of 191
even tho i use TT i balance out XLR to a fully balanced pre amp then balanced cable to my HP. the benefits are subjective preferences but i like the concept of complete separation of left and right channels, left and right voltage, neither the two will meet or cross talk. Sure the system can scale up nice but TT2 can do it se. I just chose balanced.
Out of interest have you ever performed an A/B comparison using exactly the same set up using different balanced/unbalanced (but otherwise identical) cables? If so did you notice a difference at all?

Aug 14, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #157 of 191
Out of interest have you ever performed an A/B comparison using exactly the same set up using different balanced/unbalanced (but otherwise identical) cables? If so did you notice a difference at all?
yes on every component/ cable/dac/server I have had. Granted it may only be once. For example my encore iem have a two prong attachment that didn’t seem very sturdy, or my fire xlr once was enough for the smile to take shape. Some like my initial server dt gs had a sig increase in sq from an iMac but mu DX from dt gs was also an improvement in a slightly different way. My Sarum t USB improved sound from aq diamond and oyaide continental but I couldn’t tell a difference between diamond and oyaide. Adding gsx mk2 in totality of upgrades compared to se direct from tt was also a bloom improvement but subtle. My amp is wire and gain so it doesn’t color stuff but I do enjoy the combo. I have threads and my report on every component listed in my handle. For example my perfect wave Ac 12 power cable has a right up, you will notice I didn’t talk sq at all, didn’t notice anything, same with my lps, however in this hobby you could rationalize anything, I use these components as insurance or what if, or it looks cool, or it makes me feel better. However the meat and potato’s from stock Hd800S cable I noticed a sound improvement , from comparing se cable to balanced well it’s impossible but in that itself the cable difference was negligible.
I could list every thread I created as a test but 1) I hate sound science, you won’t find them there, well one of those dudes graced my aq fire thread with a generous comment of cables don’t matter .....2) I figure if anyone cared they could search the sight using any of my component names. 3) I’m lazy to list em..

Sep 21, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #159 of 191
Reading through this older thread on Nordost Heimdall HP cable - one constant is the concern that it's a thinner cable and must be prone to problems - I've used Nordost interconnects in hi-fi setups for years with no problems. Use the Heimdall 2 with my headphones and I do not baby them - no shorts, no problems. And i do love that they provide a choice of end connections for the price - which yes, is steep.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:00 AM Post #160 of 191
Reading through this older thread on Nordost Heimdall HP cable - one constant is the concern that it's a thinner cable and must be prone to problems - I've used Nordost interconnects in hi-fi setups for years with no problems. Use the Heimdall 2 with my headphones and I do not baby them - no shorts, no problems. And i do love that they provide a choice of end connections for the price - which yes, is steep.
I agree, the Heimdall HP cable looks thin and fragile, especially when it divides into the two separate left and right cable, however in use is appears to be quite rugged. I wouldn't use it when I'm out and about though.

The Heimdall iKable is very rugged with the shielding adding to its tough appearance, but maybe too inflexible for use with headphones.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #161 of 191
Been using this cable for about three (3) years now. Yeah, looks fragile alright, but not have any problems with it in use.

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #162 of 191
I have been using the Heimdall with the Audeze LCD-2 Rev 2 for several years and have had no issues.

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:18 AM Post #163 of 191
Nice to see others having the same experience. It's a good lesson for all of us making comments to do our best to base them on actual experience as opposed to expectations or in this case, the appearance of the cable.

Sep 26, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #164 of 191
who compared to the heimdall 2 to other cables?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #165 of 191
who compared to the heimdall 2 to other cables?

I had the Lazuli Reference cable at the same time as the Nordost Heimdall 2 - both improvements over the stock cable. In the most basic terms the Lazuli added a bit more weight to the music while the Nordost added more air - they both added more definition to the sound. As I tell people these are subtle not in your face differences. Considering this was for use with my HifiMan HE 1Kv2 - the Nordost added what was most needed to that particular headphone. There was one very practical issue with the Lazuli - it's thick and heavy. I felt like I was wrestling with an octopus when I used it - it felt like it was pulling one my head. I know there are ways around this - but it was a negative to me. Both great cables - both capable of adding something to your experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back