Nordost Heimdall headphone cable
Aug 18, 2014 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 191

flohmann

100+ Head-Fier
I had a listen to this new cable at the California Audio Show yesterday. Using a set of LCD-3 headphones powered by a Schiit Lyr, with vinyl source, I heard a pretty easily discernable difference between them and the stock Audeze cable (even under show conditions).

I didn't get the retail price (doh!), but the Nordost rep explained that they can terminate them for either Senn 800 or Audeze (and they voiced the cable with Audeze). On the other end, they are all terminated to 4 pin balanced, but supplied with adapters for all the most common alternative plugs. The cables are the product of 18 months of work for Nordost and is apparently one of the hardest for them to manufacture. The cable is attractive and very flexible.

Looking forward to finding a pair of these to audition at home!

Aug 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #8 of 191
  Yes the cable itself is the same but the plugs aren't and each and every additional connection will degrade the sound to some extent.

That is a valid point the more the connections the more the possibility of signal degradation . The price is 799.99 usd ouch!!!!!!!!!
Especially considering the lcd2 headphone costs 995 usd   at least when I bought mine . Really a cable that costs almost as much as the headphone you wil use it for . Come on the price on cabling is really out of line these days .

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #9 of 191
  Would you say the sound quality was worth the price of the cable? Were there any other manufacturers with headphone cables for comparison?

Didn't have nearly enough time to make that determination, and I only compared against the stock Audeze LCD-3 cable. At home I use a pair of LCD-2 fed by ALO cable and RWA Audeze Edition, so completely different system than the one I heard at the show. That price is a hard pill to swallow, since it would take me pretty far toward upgrading from LCD-2 to LCD-X (and part way to LCD-3).

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 191

That is a valid point the more the connections the more the possibility of signal degradation . The price is 799.99 usd ouch!!!!!!!!!
Especially considering the lcd2 headphone costs 995 usd   at least when I bought mine . Really a cable that costs almost as much as the headphone you wil use it for . Come on the price on cabling is really out of line these days .

the price reflects the other Heimdall 2 cables. the price of high-quality cables has been out of line for a long time, not just these days.

it also reflects the price of other components in a system. the cost of a good amp or dac is often equal or more expensive than the headphones themselves. cables are just another component, and should be seen as such.

we should just be glad Nordost is doing it at all.

bottom line is, is it making the sound of my music more enjoyable than before? I used to have the Heimdall 1 (speakers + ICs) and to me it didn't. 

Aug 20, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 191
The 2m length could be prohibitive for a few people. Can't really see this one selling like hot cakes, could be wrong though.

Michael Mercer will probably get his hands on this and say with it plugged into his LCD-3s, it is like being wired to an orgasmatron!

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 191
I just got Heimdall 2 to go between LCD-3f and Hugo, also testing with Burson Conductor. 
Before this I did A/B/C with Silver Dragon V3, Toxic's Silver Poison, Heimdall 2.
I found Heimdall 2 to be the most fluid, musical and natural sounding than the other 2.

Aug 24, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 191
  I just got Heimdall 2 to go between LCD-3f and Hugo, also testing with Burson Conductor. 
Before this I did A/B/C with Silver Dragon V3, Toxic's Silver Poison, Heimdall 2.
I found Heimdall 2 to be the most fluid, musical and natural sounding than the other 2.

Hmm been eyeing the Heimdall, will have to see if I can arrange an audition. I am using my LCD-X's with ALO Salty Pepper. 

Aug 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 191
First of all spending as much on a cable as for the headphone "sounds" a bit stupid to me
wink.gif
but when someone has money to burn, why not.
Second with any high end name brand from a major manufacturer you are paying the brand name logo, the retailer mark up and the manufacturer mark up and you get a cable in a certain pre cut length and termination.

Especially in headphone cables there are lots of well reputed small scale guys where you can get customized length and termination for your headphones and amps for a much better value. Just my $0.02. Me personally I am not looking any further than my Norne Vanquish.

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #15 of 191
  First of all spending as much on a cable as for the headphone "sounds" a bit stupid to me
wink.gif
but when someone has money to burn, why not.
Second with any high end name brand from a major manufacturer you are paying the brand name logo, the retailer mark up and the manufacturer mark up and you get a cable in a certain pre cut length and termination.

Especially in headphone cables there are lots of well reputed small scale guys where you can get customized length and termination for your headphones and amps for a much better value. Just my $0.02. Me personally I am not looking any further than my Norne Vanquish.

I'm not sure if calling people's decision 'stupid' is a way to go. I'm sure there are some poor bloke think spending money on Vanquish or a HD800 is quite stupid also. :)

Have you had a chance to compare these cables in the same sitting A/B/C/D/etc.? I also find it ridiculously expensive, but the quality of sound I get compare to stock vs. several other brand, it gave me the most joy for my hard-earned money to enjoy the music. Explore with open mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back