Nordost Heimdall headphone cable
Oct 9, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #106 of 191
Mmm.....I do exercise due caution when handling the Heimdall 2. The thin part may not survive a good yanking.

Major shame on Nordost...to think that when you bought an expensive cable, the last thing you'll expect to see is that it comes in a chicken wire size cable, and the need to constantly be worried about your cable snapping off or be damaged by the slightest mishandling.

Tho Nordost provided 2 adapters (1/4" and 3.5mm TRS) for it's default XLR termination, they are bulky and uncomfortable to use. Not having the option to order them with different termination is also a pain

OTOH, the cable matches pretty well with my Utopia thus far. How well? I won't know until all my other cables (from DHC, Norne, Wywires & Plus Sound) arrives and I get to compare them side by side. Unless this Nordost stands out against the competition, it looks like this will be quick good bye as I'll move on to other more robust and better sounding options.

Oct 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #107 of 191
Mmm......it is sheathed in FEP, a plastic by-product that is quite strong. HOWEVER, I don't want to put it to the test (expensive) thus my overabundance of caution. SQ-wise with the Utopia, it a very good match.

Dec 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #109 of 191
My first post! After been just a reader at forums for a couple of years I decided to create an account here. Anyway... I'm getting my HD800 next month. I plan to buy Oppo HA-1 later in -17 and then a premium XLR cable to it... I was recommended to get this Nordost Heimdal cable by my local HIFI store. But to my taste I think it's pretty ugly. I don't like the color. Connectors seems to be alright thought. I had owned some expensive cables previously. Not this expensive but almost as expensive. I have to say... I don't notice any much difference if any at all. When it comes to cables I look it feels more like fashion. If I can buy jeans for 400 $ from Armani that is more or less the same as a jeans from H&M. In terms of quality and design. Armani, Replay or other more expensive jeans with a more neutral look might not differs so much. At might be paying 200 - 300 $ just because it's "Armani". That doesn't make these people "stupid" people. Same thing with expensive cables. I think it's about fashion, design built quality and a nicer "feeling". And of course there a lot of people that actually feel some difference. But as I said I don't... So when it comes to HD800 from Nordost I'm actually looking for another cable. The one that caught my attention was the Kimber Cable "Axios".

https://axios.kimber.com/

I'm 99 % sure I will get that one instead of Heimdal. IF I will be able to order one... because there are no dealer in Sweden and they don't seem to ship. I'm not sure I will get one abroad. Possibly in worst case... Have anybody tried to or seen both these cables IRL?

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #111 of 191

Major shame on Nordost...to think that when you bought an expensive cable, the last thing you'll expect to see is that it comes in a chicken wire size cable, and the need to constantly be worried about your cable snapping off or be damaged by the slightest mishandling.

Tho Nordost provided 2 adapters (1/4" and 3.5mm TRS) for it's default XLR termination, they are bulky and uncomfortable to use. Not having the option to order them with different termination is also a pain

OTOH, the cable matches pretty well with my Utopia thus far. How well? I won't know until all my other cables (from DHC, Norne, Wywires & Plus Sound) arrives and I get to compare them side by side. Unless this Nordost stands out against the competition, it looks like this will be quick good bye as I'll move on to other more robust and better sounding options.

Personally, I prefer the Nordost XLR termination + adaptors. It allows me to use one cable in different configurations. I have never had a cable failure. The cable is light weight so it doesn't drag your head down. I like that the Heimdall2 does not color the sound or change the characteristics of the headphones. Music sounds more open and more alive with the Heimdall2.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #113 of 191
I've been using the Heimdal 2 with my HD800S + Violectric V281. This is a very transparent setup and I'd say with the Heimdal 2 the noise floor is lowered compared to the standard XLR cable from Senheiser. Background is black completely, it's actually stunning to hear blackness in between notes. Listening to Vanessa Fernandez's "Here but I'm gone", the slow intro drum and the spacing between the drum strikes were stunning.

I don't think the Heimdal adds any warmth the way Cardas does. It does take away some of the high freq glare but without sacrificing any transparency. This is simply a neutral and quiet cable.

Btw, I'm actually switching to a different main headphone and learned from Nordost that you can't reterminate the Heimdal 2. So mine is actually for sale and if anyone is interested in getting Heimdal 2 for their HD800S pls pm me.

Jan 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #115 of 191
Got a good deal on this cable a month ago as I'm too impatient waiting for my Toxic cable to arrive. Still getting the Toxic - eventually - which I'll use the the AK balanced output, but the Heimdall was recommended to me for use with the Audezes and AK players. I have to say it is absolutely stunning - I never thought a cable could make such a difference. I first bought expensive speaker cable 25yrs ago and, yes, it did make a big difference, but headphone cable? Didn't think there would be such a huge improvement. I've not had my AK player long and the reason I know this cable is amazing is because using it with my iPod / Fostex stack it comprehensively upscales everything. Seriously wondering why I got the AK when a £500 cable upgrade makes such a huge difference. If you're considering it, don't hold back - it seems well made and is very light.

Jan 7, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #116 of 191
Quote: Is that what you're supposed to do with these little red plastic net bits? Mine are in the box.
Mm...I agree. 3-in-1 is a major convenience and the clear, clean and neutral presentation is one more thing going for the H2.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #117 of 191
Mm..at more than 800 bucks landed cost here, I kept the shipping protector on. It is optional. Lol!

I ordered from Double Helix their ultrashort adaptor/no wire (headphone side) so I can use the Utopia Hemindall 2 with my Z1R and Beyerdynamic T1.2. Saves me quite a bundle.

Jan 21, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #118 of 191
  I have been using the Heimdall 2 with my Focal Utopias since they arrived in June. This cable presents the Utopia in all of their glory. Clean, detailed and just beautiful. I will admit that I added a Utopia connector to my DHC Prion order so in about a week I'll have the opportunity to compare. However, there's nothing bad about the Heimdall 2 cable!

Did u find the Heimdall 2 with the Utopia bright? thin?

Jan 21, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #120 of 191
Can't compare the H2 to any cable other than the stock Audeze and it's a big upgrade in sound.

Whilst I can't complain about the sound, the L and R cables to the phones after the Y-splitter do seem quite delicate - they're very thin. Had no problems but not sure how they'd stand up to abuse. The XLR connector you have to attach the 3.5mm jack to can be a bit clunky and I worry about it putting a strain on the jack. Definitely a cable for the home rather than on-the-move.

Though the price is high, I'm certain most dealers would be open to a bit of haggling - mine was. They can't sell many, so I'm sure you'd get a deal on any H2s that have been gathering dust on the shelf.

However, I'm sure Nordost know what they're doing. There's a warranty, of course, and the sound is fab imo. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back