Noobie here. Ordered some Grado SR60i's..what am I getting into?
Feb 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #76 of 81

Quote:
How come? Too expensive?
To be brutally honest, this stuff isn't all that expensive, ESPECIALLY when compared to photography (the career I'm getting myself into). The gear for photography can run as much as several thousands of dollars on the camera alone, excluding all the lenses, tripods, lighting equipment, computers, etc..

Sides, you guys aren't that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Being an owner of some medium and large format camera, I'd spend quite a lot of photography myself. Head-fi is seriously just as bad, cos sooner or later you would want to see what the big deal the other brands and headphones are all about. It's a slippery slope... 

Frankly, lots of people came into head fi looking for their first headphone only to keep reading about their headphones and other newer headphone, so much so that they given up on them way way early, without spending much time on the intended purpose of the equipment, i.e. to listen to music. This is the reason why you see so many minty headphone out for sale on a daily basis, with people thinking that upgrading equipment is akin the silver bullet that will give them the listening pleasure they fantasize.

Stay contended. Get out of here when you still can... 

Feb 23, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #77 of 81

Quote:
Trouble is...I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into!

Quote:
The SR60 is a gateway. You're about to enter a whole new world of listening pleasure, the likes of which you have never experienced.  Once taken, the pathway can lead to the absolute obsession of reaching total sonic nirvana.  It's natural to fear the unknown.  Don't think about it.  Don't worry yourself over it.  Just sit back and enjoy the ride.   

^ This
cool.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #78 of 81
OP is the coolest noob I've seen around here! And probably one of the few who didn't start his Head-Fi life with a "Iz Beats by Dre a good headphone????" thread in the last 2 months
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #79 of 81
Could be due to his bro who is a 500+ head-fier...

Quote:
OP is the coolest noob I've seen around here! And probably one of the few who didn't start his Head-Fi life with a "Iz Beats by Dre a good headphone????" thread in the last 2 months
beerchug.gif

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #80 of 81

Quote:
How come? Too expensive?
To be brutally honest, this stuff isn't all that expensive, ESPECIALLY when compared to photography (the career I'm getting myself into). The gear for photography can run as much as several thousands of dollars on the camera alone, excluding all the lenses, tripods, lighting equipment, computers, etc..

Sides, you guys aren't that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

I started out similar to you. I came on this site 2 years ago, and came out with a pair of sr80is. I loved those headphones (and still own a pair, in fact I'm listening to another pair now) for like 2 years, but then the cable broke and I joined the site to see how to fix it. BIG mistake (for my wallet 
tongue.gif
). I fixed the cable, and that was my first DIY project.

Now, I've built and traded well over $3000 worth of gear (read: I've gone through lots of gear, and built even more).  Then again, at this point I'm only into this hobby for the DIY, not the actual sound.

You're too late at this point, you've joined the site.

Feb 23, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #81 of 81
Heh your words are very kind! My bro's been trying to convert me for years..guess he finally succeeded except I went didn't go the IEM route like he did (to each his own though, right?). And I guess it's too late now then now that I'm here. Oh well. I suppose this is like riding a roller coaster the first time, scarred at first but extremely satisfied by the end of it. Lets see how this ride goes!
By the way, i already did the quarter mod to these. They seem to sound a tad cleaner but I'm still getting used to them. Already brought these with me to college, the sound leakage doesn't seem to be a problem unless I'm blasting these (which I kinda did in the dark room..but everyone started jamming out to Red Hot Chili Peppers so I guess it wasn't a bad thing o_o). Sure made the developing process on my film seem a lot more entertaining :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back