Noobie here. Ordered some Grado SR60i's..what am I getting into?
Feb 21, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #46 of 81

Quote:
Nowhere did I recommend them, It was only semi on topic anyway. I must say though, this is nice. My grados in no way resemble sr60is anymore, it's awesome.

Gah! Don't tempt me. I still need more head-time for the Fostex T50RP, Superlux HD668B and the soon to arrive electrostat cans. If only I'd had two heads and four ears...

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #47 of 81

Quote:
I don't typically pull out frequency response graphs, but every now and then a person comes along that I feel has been misled. There are things that can't be accurately measured with FR graphs, such as soundstage, but at the most basic level FR Graphs are accurate and useful.

I lol'd

Also, since it's semi-on-topic, I'm working on a way to fit my grados with HD650 pads to improve the comfort. So far things are looking good.

Please elaborate.

Feb 21, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #48 of 81
great start, SR60s are awesome. The spending starts right now LOL. Sorry about your wallet
gs1000.gif

Feb 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #49 of 81

Quote:
Just in case you've never seen a frequency response graph before, I'll give you a simple run-down. The left side is where the bass happens, the right side is where the highs happen. The bass is maybe 5db lower than a HD650, so your saying they aren't known for their bass might be true, but it isn't really a fault compared to other headphones. Another thing I'd like to say is that you really need to at least hear a headphone before recommending (or not recommending) them to new users. I find it funny that you praise STAX systems so highly, when a common fault is their bass amount (in the lower end models). Disclaimer: STAX still are awesome, but the bass is lower than the rest of the spectrum.

Lastly, trance sounds good on these. There isn't massive bass, like many trance users like, but the bass is tight and not boomy.

Sorry OP, I didn't want this to turn into a big argument.

I can read these graphs, thank you for the patronizing, I've been doing so for a really long time. And even though it's a 5db change from what is considered a very neutral Sennheiser model, so that we could say the SR60 have their bass 5db unemphasized from reality, a 5db change is a bit noticeable I think.
And not just that, but also that as many a Head-Fi'er have written the bass on the SR60 is tight (great for rock), while on the very few occasions in my life in which I enjoy some trance, I actually enjoy it Koss-style: boomy, loose. I want it to take over the music, unlike what Smashing said in his comment. I just don't think the sound signature most people would agree to be perfect for Rock (slightly emphasized tight bass) is the most appropriate for Trance.
And although I realize how dumb it might seem to suggest a headphone I never actually tried, notice how the OP was decided on this purchase - and had already even ordered them! - before I typed anything. He wasn't blindly searching for a model and I suggested the SR60, he had already decided what to get, and I simply echoed what many head-fi'ers have written about this model, immediately admiting I hadn't tried them or owned them, but serving only as a vehicle for information. I won't apologize for that.
Also, not that this matters the slightest, but I would love to own the SR60, they are iconic, their sound signature is very Grado-consistent, they accept modding like a charm, and I just haven't done so yet simply because Grado isn't represented the slightest in my country.

And to whoever suggested the modding: great idea! If the OP find the bass to be a bit inexistent in his SR60s, the modding thread's comments show it's really easy to do and the improvement is noticeable. Has anyone posted the link to that thread for the OP?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #50 of 81

Quote:
Trouble is...I have absolutely no idea what I'm getting myself into!

The SR60 is a gateway. You're about to enter a whole new world of listening pleasure, the likes of which you have never experienced.  Once taken, the pathway can lead to the absolute obsession of reaching total sonic nirvana.  It's natural to fear the unknown.  Don't think about it.  Don't worry yourself over it.  Just sit back and enjoy the ride.   

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #51 of 81
Here is the thing about trance.... And it is very important... Trance is a very broad spectrum of sounds. And honestly I don't see why anyone would want anything less than tight bass for trance, mainly because good trance uses full spectrum of sound, and the Trance DJ can choose to make it sound as he likes, including the bass. DJs like modding sounds to suit the sound they want, so having loose bass in my opinion you are not hearing it as they intended. But that is just my opinion. I think Grados are fine for both trance and rock alike. Perhaps some would disagree, but this is just my opinion. 

Quote:
I can read these graphs, thank you for the patronizing, I've been doing so for a really long time. And even though it's a 5db change from what is considered a very neutral Sennheiser model, so that we could say the SR60 have their bass 5db unemphasized from reality, a 5db change is a bit noticeable I think.
And not just that, but also that as many a Head-Fi'er have written the bass on the SR60 is tight (great for rock), while on the very few occasions in my life in which I enjoy some trance, I actually enjoy it Koss-style: boomy, loose. I want it to take over the music, unlike what Smashing said in his comment. I just don't think the sound signature most people would agree to be perfect for Rock (slightly emphasized tight bass) is the most appropriate for Trance.
And although I realize how dumb it might seem to suggest a headphone I never actually tried, notice how the OP was decided on this purchase - and had already even ordered them! - before I typed anything. He wasn't blindly searching for a model and I suggested the SR60, he had already decided what to get, and I simply echoed what many head-fi'ers have written about this model, immediately admiting I hadn't tried them or owned them, but serving only as a vehicle for information. I won't apologize for that.
Also, not that this matters the slightest, but I would love to own the SR60, they are iconic, their sound signature is very Grado-consistent, they accept modding like a charm, and I just haven't done so yet simply because Grado isn't represented the slightest in my country.

And to whoever suggested the modding: great idea! If the OP find the bass to be a bit inexistent in his SR60s, the modding thread's comments show it's really easy to do and the improvement is noticeable. Has anyone posted the link to that thread for the OP?

Feb 21, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #52 of 81

Quote:
Here is the thing about trance.... And it is very important... Trance is a very broad spectrum of sounds. And honestly I don't see why anyone would want anything less than tight bass for trance, mainly because good trance uses full spectrum of sound, and the Trance DJ can choose to make it sound as he likes, including the bass. DJs like modding sounds to suit the sound they want, so having loose bass in my opinion you are not hearing it as they intended. But that is just my opinion. I think Grados are fine for both trance and rock alike. Perhaps some would disagree, but this is just my opinion. 

Agreed.  The SR60 is good enough for trance for relaxed listening.  Just don't expect anything earth shattering with regards to bass response.  The ATH-M50 are my go-to cans for trance and anything with a significant thumping low end.

Listening to some trance now in fact: Francis Prave - Marina  Intro is a little long, but just let it ride.  You'll be rewarded soon enough. 

Feb 21, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #54 of 81
I'm really not sure what trance you are listening to, but my point is that not all trance is not like that. Trance can have boomy bass, but it tends to be more melodic. It has a wide range. SR60is can work well with trance, it may be a bit weak when it does have boomy bass, but when it doesn't it is perfect. I'm currently listening to trance right now, specifically A State of Trance episode 496. Funnily enough, I'm waiting for your boomy bass, and am not hearing it... There is a bassline but hardly boomy. See that is the great thing about trance, it is a range, and sometimes there is little bass in a trance mix.  

So yes, M50 would be better, but SR60is are not bad. 

Quote:
Exactly! The M50's would be a much better choice for Trance, but fine, if anyone seems to agree these are great for boom-bassy music, go ahead. I'm done with stupid arguments.

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #57 of 81

Quote:
I'm really not sure what trance you are listening to, but my point is that not all trance is not like that. Trance can have boomy bass, but it tends to be more melodic. It has a wide range. SR60is can work well with trance, it may be a bit weak when it does have boomy bass, but when it doesn't it is perfect. I'm currently listening to trance right now, specifically A State of Trance episode 496. Funnily enough, I'm waiting for your boomy bass, and am not hearing it... There is a bassline but hardly boomy. See that is the great thing about trance, it is a range, and sometimes there is little bass in a trance mix.  

So yes, M50 would be better, but SR60is are not bad. 

Wait... you made a huge ragepost about how wrong I was and then you say I'm right? Nais...
Look I am not saying I know all the Trance ever made by man, I don't. And I don't want to. The OP asked for advice and I gave it to him, in a way that dared clashing with your own opinions of this particular music genre.
And by the way, maybe by saying boomy bass I was being offensive, but I didn't mean to be so at all. Boomy bass can be well used, and I have many examples of this. Boomy bass =/= bad bass.
I'm usually not this upset or troll-feeding as I am today, but it really pissed me off. I have a different opinion about the sound signature required to enjoy Trance than yours, deal with it.

OP again I'm sorry, I really wish the people that come here would try to help you in more useful ways. How long until your SR60s arrive? =D

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #58 of 81
I think you misunderstood what I was saying, and for that I apologize. I'm not trying to be a troll, and I never once said you were wrong. I said that SR60is were not bad for trance, I didn't say they were the best either. The M50s are clearly better for a wider range of music. You weren't being offensive by saying boomy bass, because some trance does have that, but not all. I'm not sure what artists you listen to, nor the OP's, but I am speaking in generalities, trying to be objective rather than subjective of my personal preferences. 

Let me end this civilly and say this... The SR60is are fine for some trance, but not all. Depending on the OP's preferences he might be fine with them, or find them lacking for trance, but not so much for rock, as Grados are generally considered prime for rock. As for a phone that is better all around the ATH-M50s would have been better.

However, a thought occurred... If this is his first can... The OP might get used to the Grado sound signature, which is a fairly common occurrence. So he might get used to it despite being a bit lacking in bass. Not entirely sure. 

Regardless, for the money, it is a solid first purchase and a great intro to the audiophile world. The OP might be interested in modding down the line, and they are easily modifiable.

Quote:
Wait... you made a huge ragepost about how wrong I was and then you say I'm right? Nais...
Look I am not saying I know all the Trance ever made by man, I don't. And I don't want to. The OP asked for advice and I gave it to him, in a way that dared clashing with your own opinions of this particular music genre.
And by the way, maybe by saying boomy bass I was being offensive, but I didn't mean to be so at all. Boomy bass can be well used, and I have many examples of this. Boomy bass =/= bad bass.
I'm usually not this upset or troll-feeding as I am today, but it really pissed me off. I have a different opinion about the sound signature required to enjoy Trance than yours, deal with it.

OP again I'm sorry, I really wish the people that come here would try to help you in more useful ways. How long until your SR60s arrive? =D

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #59 of 81

Quote:

We aren't trolling. Just because we disagree with you doesn't mean you have to get all worked up. You need to chill out.

Feb 21, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #60 of 81
Actually, it was the other way around. Since I didn't agree that the Grado's were amazing for Trance, I was flamed. It's fine if you disagree with me, just understand I'll hardly change my opinion based on an audio preference.

Kyuutseki (Your name is hard to spell dude, I might have gotten it wrong) did you mod your SR60s? I think you're right, most likely the OP will find the Grado sound signature to become his own, even more if he mods them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back