Noob looking for hi-fi
Jan 5, 2012 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

N1NJ4

New Head-Fier
Okay, so lately I've been using my Sennheiser HD-202 II cans, and I need better sound. I took off the fabric between the driver and your ears, and I also punctured the filter paper stuff for more air flow behind the driver. However, the sound still seems very veiled, and a bit lacking in mids, with unclear bass. I would appreciate it if someone could recommend a sub-$200 set, that I could also use to blow away the Beats junkies. I'm not a huge bassaddict, but I want it to be clear and articulated. If it helps, I listen to various styles of techno, excluding pop and dubstep. I'm only posting this because I've been lurking for a while, but everybody seems to have such differing opinions. Oh, and I'm in the process of building a Cmoy amp for fun, so high impedances are no issue if they come up.

Jan 6, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #3 of 12
No, you've posted in the right area, though there is a thread dedicated to asking advice on a new set of headphones.  Isn't mandatory to post in it though. 

Under $200 gives an enormous amount of choices.  Do you want a set that is portable, or will these be mainly used at home?  Do you need good isolation, so that outside sounds won't affect you, or can you use open headphones?

Jan 6, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
No, you've posted in the right area, though there is a thread dedicated to asking advice on a new set of headphones.  Isn't mandatory to post in it though. 

Under $200 gives an enormous amount of choices.  Do you want a set that is portable, or will these be mainly used at home?  Do you need good isolation, so that outside sounds won't affect you, or can you use open headphones?

I will be using them at home, school, and everywhere, but size and/or portability aren't an issue for me, because I have a huge backpack and messenger bag. Isolation would be good, and it doesn't have to be much. At least as good as the isolation of my HD-220 cans would be okay. Oh, and fast response from the cans. I need the notes to not bleed into each other when listening to really fast music.

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 12
Audio Technica ATH-M50  Some might say these are overpriced for what you get, but has been a favorite around here for a long time.

KRK KNS8400

Shure SRH840

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II (top quality portables)

And one that doesn't get a lot of attention here, the Sony MDR ZX700, which is a good all rounder, with few flaws.

Do some research on these (there are plenty of threads here at head-fi discussing them) and see which ones seem to fit your requirements best. 

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 12
If you want a very good portable but circum aural headphone, you can also add HFi780.

SRH840 is also a good choice, but they are very big and in school, hum...,lol

Jan 6, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #8 of 12
If you want a more neutral sound and not that much bass I recommend the Shure 840. If you want bass I would say the M50s or the HD25s. I still prefer the Hd25s cause they are more portable and since you already had sennheiser I am recommending these

Sent from onizuka 2.0

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 12
Well, from what I can see, I think I like the Shures and the Sonys. I should be able to get a pair by the end of this summer, provided I don't spend it all on my other hobby, building electronics. Do any of the headphones you guys listed require amping? I see that they are low-Z for the most part, but I know of headphones that still require amps at these impedances.

@DVDRey, big headphones are no problem, they are das sh17 at my school, what with everybody else wearing huge skullcandys and beats studios.

Jan 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
The ones we listed don't require amping but its recommended that you do amp them to bring out the true potential
Sent from onizuka 2.0

I never amped my M50 and from all of the stuff I have read adding an amp to M50 has almost no noticeable affect on the sound. Even the HD-25-1 II are fine unamped FWIR. 

For how much your going to be using them I think the HD-25-1 II would work really well. They are super durable, aren't as big as the Shures or Audio Technicas and they isolate extremely well, plus people rave about the sound.

And you can even impress your friends with your Sennheiser hd 25-1 II because it is the same exact headphone that ESPN and many other sports broadcasters and field/event broadcasters wear for major news stations. Only difference is theirs comes with a mic.

I have the M50 and they take up a lot of room in a bag even when folded because of how thick they are, and wearing them around my neck is comfortable but looks ridiculous. 

Jan 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 12
For home use - M50.
For portable - HD-25ii

The ESW9's are available for 200 in some places and are both sexy dark and smooth, yet still portable.

Don't mind me, I always have to put my hurrah in for A-T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back