Noob about to get ATH-M50s... Ready for sonic bliss!
Apr 18, 2011 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

louguzzo

Head-Fier
This is my first post, and first of all, I have to say what a great forum you guys (and gals!) have going here.  I've been stressing like a maniac for a week trying to find replacements for my Sennheiser HD202s (my first "real" pair of headphones).  I've read through so many different forum discussions trying to find the right portables for me, and not once have I come across the normal Internet squabbling that seems to dominate every other message board out there.  The people at head-fi all seem very intelligent, respectful, and willing to help people like myself, who are new to the game.  I planned on using the site just to help make a selection, but now have decided to join and post, because you all seem like top-notch peeps.
biggrin.gif

So back to my two purposes for the post:

1) My Senns:

They developed a crackling noise in the right earpiece, after 3 years of amazing service.  I took off the pad and looked for debris, but it didn't make a difference.  The only thing that made any sense to me was that I recently started using a different ipod (3rd gen nano), that played louder than the 2nd gen I had before.  I am thinking I blew the speaker, somehow.  My friend that introduced me to Sennheiser (and this website), said I probably couldn't have blown it without an amp, but I have no idea.  Any thoughts?

2) ATH-M50s

So I've gathered from all my reading that these headphones have become a tad cliched around here, but like every other newbie, it just seems that they are the best fit for my needs.  I was originally looking at Portapros, then Beyerdynamic DT235, THEN Grado SR60s, when I finally decided to spend some more $$$ and go with the M50s.  Luckily, my local Guitar Center has them in stock, and is supposedly going to match amazon.com for me (GC has them listed at $159).  I am going to get them this Friday, and I find myself giddy like a schoolgirl!  I have no one but my aforementioned friend to talk to about this, but I don't want to tell him what I'm getting; I'd rather shock him in person.  Yes, I know - extremely lame.

I am extremely psyched, though, based solely on what I've read.  I listen to mostly rock, some of my favs being Tool, The Flaming Lips, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead.  I was wondering if anyone else listens to any of these bands (I haven't seen much mention of them), and if they have tried with the M50s...  Just curious.

So again, thanks for all the indirect info you've provided me over the last week, and I look forward to chipping in on future convos!

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #4 of 20
Remember, even if you have a GREAT headphone, if you're too excited and expect way too much, it won't be as impressive. I expected to literally hear HEAVEN when I got my m50 first time, from reading reviews, then was disappointed when angels didn't come out of my headphones and sing for me. Then, as time went by, I finally got to enjoy the headphones, and form my taste, figuring out what I want or not want in my next headphones. I know it will be hard, but try to think of it as a worst possible headphone you could possibly have on your head. Your appreciation of the headphone will be much greater =]]

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 20
Uh oh, looks like another one has gotten bitten by the audiophile bug!  You better find a remedy quick or your wallet will never be the same!
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 20

Quote:
Remember, even if you have a GREAT headphone, if you're too excited and expect way too much, it won't be as impressive. I expected to literally hear HEAVEN when I got my m50 first time, from reading reviews, then was disappointed when angels didn't come out of my headphones and sing for me. Then, as time went by, I finally got to enjoy the headphones, and form my taste, figuring out what I want or not want in my next headphones. I know it will be hard, but try to think of it as a worst possible headphone you could possibly have on your head. Your appreciation of the headphone will be much greater =]]

exactly what happened to me. dont over psych yourself because you'll be disappointed. They're great hps but sound way different if your mind has it set that they are godlike

Apr 22, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #8 of 20

Quote:
Uh oh, looks like another one has gotten bitten by the audiophile bug!  You better find a remedy quick or your wallet will never be the same!
biggrin.gif

Indeed , now that i have the M50 for about a year , i like 'm very much and i wonder if there's a headphone with the same sound but a bit more sub bass.
I'm looking to the Pro 900 , but i wonder if it's worth the money ?
Anyone here switched from M50 to Pro 900?

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 20
+1 on not expecting angels. :p The M50s ARE great headphones. They don't have the detail I'd like, but that's okay -- they're fun and engaging to listen to even straight out of an iPhone. I keep them around for when I need to block out some extra noise at home and still want to listen to some great sounding music! I think you'll be happy with them.

BTW, I listen to a lot of Flaming Lips and Radiohead, and both bands go well with the M50s.

Apr 22, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #10 of 20
if i hadn't just bought Shure SRH440s and Sennheiser HD 555s in the past few weeks, I'd be VERY tempted to order a set of ATH-M50s. They look cool and pretty much get rave reviews from owners. I'm sure the OP will be very pleased when he gets them.

btw, i'm a fan of the Flaming Lips. Have been for decades. the other bands i like but don't go out of my way to listen to.

Apr 27, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 20
Checking back in here - I have to say, they have exceeded my expectations, which were pretty inflated (as you may have noticed lol).  These things are amazing.  The bass was a little flat right out of the box, but I let them burn in overnight on Friday, and by Saturday morning, they sounded great. So far, there is honestly nothing about these that I don't like; they're comfortable, the cord is great quality, and once again... The sound.  I am going to have to listen to every album I own, to hear them the way they're supposed to be heard!

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #13 of 20
I just bought some M50's about a week ago, and I was a little disappointed at first, but after some burn in, they really did improve.  They do sound good right out of my ipod.  Amplification seemed to help more when they were new.  Now, the sound straight out of the source is definitely acceptable.  I hear a lot of things I didn't before.  I re-ripped some of my albums in 320 kbps .mp3, and that helped.  Have fun with your M50's.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 20
I don't recommend the M50 since you mainly listen to rock. They don't make rock music sound great because of the V-shaped sound signature. Well, I didn't like listening to rock music with the M50 because it made vocals sound distant/unbalanced and made some instruments(especially drums) sound a bit like a hollow can. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Remember, even if you have a GREAT headphone, if you're too excited and expect way too much, it won't be as impressive.

Hey OP, the M50s are going to sound as bad as children crying while a school yard is burning in a fire. Get ready for some sonic bliss man...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back