Noob about to get ATH-M50s... Ready for sonic bliss!
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #18 of 20

Quote:
I don't recommend the M50 since you mainly listen to rock. They don't make rock music sound great because of the V-shaped sound signature. Well, I didn't like listening to rock music with the M50 because it made vocals sound distant/unbalanced and made some instruments(especially drums) sound a bit like a hollow can. 

I agree to this post to some extent. The vocals do sound distant, far away. I can somewhat control this with the J3 eq settings, but I like my Queen and Beatles session with my grados better.  I'm not sure if I can relate to hollow sounding instruments though...maybe different music preference thing.

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #19 of 20

Quote:
I agree to this post to some extent. The vocals do sound distant, far away. I can somewhat control this with the J3 eq settings, but I like my Queen and Beatles session with my grados better.  I'm not sure if I can relate to hollow sounding instruments though...maybe different music preference thing.

For example if you listen to Audioslave - Cochise, notice the drum during the first 30 seconds of the song. Try A/Bing with your SR-60 and M50, you will know what I mean. 

May 5, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 20

Quote:

Hey OP, the M50s are going to sound as bad as children crying while a school yard is burning in a fire. Get ready for some sonic bliss man...

Uhhhhh... Awesome?  lol 

FearSC549 - I can definitely see where you're coming from; hip-hop and electronica do sound a bit fuller on the M50s, but for rock music, I'm just astounded at the separation of the instruments that you can hear.  I'm enjoying the hell out of that phenomenon, since as a bass player I always listen to what that instrument is doing first when I hear a new piece of music.  Now I can REALLY hear what it's doing, and I love it! 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back