Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Nov 8, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #5,236 of 6,432
Quote:

Vinyl records tend to have better dynamic range, but that's due to the track's dynamic range NOT anything to do with the format. With everything being the same, digital is by far better than vinyl in terms of format.

Under no legitimate circumstances will the dynamic range of vinyl ever exceed the dynamic range of CD, under any frequency.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

"Digital" isn't better than vinyl. Red Book audio can be (and 99% of the time is), depending on the mastering.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #5,238 of 6,432
The mastering quality is essential, and higher end digital formats are indeed superior to vinyl.

Nov 8, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #5,240 of 6,432
Quote:
 Under no legitimate circumstances will the dynamic range of vinyl ever exceed the dynamic range of CD, under any frequency.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)

"Digital" isn't better than vinyl. Red Book audio can be (and 99% of the time is), depending on the mastering.

Thus why I said the track's (audible) dynamic range, not the format.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #5,241 of 6,432
Aaaand we're back to Vinyl v. Digital :/

Anyway, I've never tried vinyl personally, but as far as I can tell, hi-fi digital music sounds exceptionally good, even more so than the few 96/24 vinyl rips I've collected so far. Yes, I realize that it's not quite the same as listening to real vinyl, but considering the fact that a good vinyl setup is somewhat cost-prohibitive, it's the best I can hope for for now. 

Anyway, the vinyl rips sound a bit "grainier" than pure digital, though that could simply be due to an error in the ripping process. I'll be the first to admit that there's a certain texture or flavor to vinyl rips that digital music can't quite get right, a texture that goes well with certain genres of music. That's nowhere near good enough for claiming that vinyl is a universally good format, however. 

Now that I've chimed in, I'm going to go look for a bomb shelter now to avoid all the rebuttals and criticisms that I'm fairly sure are going to come flying my way now. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #5,243 of 6,432
Owning both a good vynal rig;

Nottingham Space Deck with an Ortofon kontrapunkt cartridge using a bat phono pre and Bob's devices step-up transformer

and a good digital rig;

PS audio Perfect wave transport and DAC

Driven through BAT VK 51se pre and biamped with a BAT 500 solid state on the lower freqs and a TAD 1000 mono block tube amps for mids and uppers power to thiel CS 3.6 speakers

vynal wins hands down on all recordings.

same can be said when running either vynal or cd through a Cavalli audio Liquid Fire to LCD-2's

For dedicated listening i almost always listen to the vynal recording, if I'm just listening as background cd's are easier to deal with.

No comparison if the recording AND rig is up to the task.

Nov 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,244 of 6,432
Great choice on the Notts table. I'll just chime in to say that I haven't found the Perfect Wave gear that impressive. I'd put something else against your vinyl rig and do another write up. Though it is good.

Quote:
Owning both a good vynal rig;

Nottingham Space Deck with an Ortofon kontrapunkt cartridge using a bat phono pre and Bob's devices step-up transformer

and a good digital rig;

PS audio Perfect wave transport and DAC

Driven through BAT VK 51se pre and biamped with a BAT 500 solid state on the lower freqs and a TAD 1000 mono block tube amps for mids and uppers power to thiel CS 3.6 speakers

vynal wins hands down on all recordings.

same can be said when running either vynal or cd through a Cavalli audio Liquid Fire to LCD-2's

For dedicated listening i almost always listen to the vynal recording, if I'm just listening as background cd's are easier to deal with.

No comparison if the recording AND rig is up to the task.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #5,245 of 6,432
I also have the Cambridge audio 740C and 840C, Rega Apollo (used in a basement rig), and had a Bat VK-5dse,

The perfect wave beat all of them, is marginally better than a Rega DAC which I own, and use in a second bedroom system and sold an Anedio D1 dac which I really didn't prefer.

I prefer what I hear with the perfect wave set up over the others in my main rig, they have all been there at one time or the other.

A friend has the BAT cd player now, he uses in a system with a BAT VK3xi pre, Bat VK 55 powering a set of Thiel CS 2.4  but we both prefer his VPI super scout with a Shelter 501.

In the end I just prefer analogue sound to digital, but I use live music as the arbitrator as to what I want a stereo to sound like.

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #5,246 of 6,432
Oh no I agree that the PWD is better than those, but something like a good tube source might be more to your liking. I've heard some of Ayon Audio's offerings recently and am very impressed. 

My 3 choices I'm looking at right now for digital source upgrade are an Ayon CD-1SC, Resolution Audio Cantana, and Simaudio 380D. I just haven't been too impressed with the PWD mkII. If I could find one cheap, I'd get it...but it just doesn't hold up at 4k, IMO.

Quote:
I also have the Cambridge audio 740C and 840C, Rega Apollo (used in a basement rig), and had a Bat VK-5dse,

The perfect wave beat all of them, is marginally better than a Rega DAC which I own, and use in a second bedroom system and sold an Anedio D1 dac which I really didn't prefer.

I prefer what I hear with the perfect wave set up over the others in my main rig, they have all been there at one time or the other.

A friend has the BAT cd player now, he uses in a system with a BAT VK3xi pre, Bat VK 55 powering a set of Thiel CS 2.4  but we both prefer his VPI super scout with a Shelter 501.

In the end I just prefer analogue sound to digital, but I use live music as the arbitrator as to what I want a stereo to sound like.

Nov 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #5,249 of 6,432
Was at a headphone store with my B**ts friend yesterday he said the Q701 had better Isolation than the B**ts......I was really damn embarrassed T.T

Despite the crappy beginning, this visit to the headphone store ended up as a really pleasant experience. He got the M-80s and said it sounded so much better than the B**ts. Had to drag him out of the store.  Gotta say... I feel REALLY proud of myself.

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5,250 of 6,432
Quote:
Aaaand we're back to Vinyl v. Digital :/

Anyway, I've never tried vinyl personally, but as far as I can tell, hi-fi digital music sounds exceptionally good, even more so than the few 96/24 vinyl rips I've collected so far. Yes, I realize that it's not quite the same as listening to real vinyl, but considering the fact that a good vinyl setup is somewhat cost-prohibitive, it's the best I can hope for for now. 

Anyway, the vinyl rips sound a bit "grainier" than pure digital, though that could simply be due to an error in the ripping process. I'll be the first to admit that there's a certain texture or flavor to vinyl rips that digital music can't quite get right, a texture that goes well with certain genres of music. That's nowhere near good enough for claiming that vinyl is a universally good format, however. 

Now that I've chimed in, I'm going to go look for a bomb shelter now to avoid all the rebuttals and criticisms that I'm fairly sure are going to come flying my way now. 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!

called distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back