Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Sep 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #4,922 of 6,432
I remember my first decent audio purchase - Shure e2c. I was gaga over them. I was in highschool at the time and I remember being at lunch and telling my friends about the IEMs. As we've all seen time and time again, some couldn't comprehend why I'd spend the money on expensive earphones. After passing the ipod and IEM's around, it was clear to them why I had spent money on good IEM's. No one came away unimpressed.

e: reading comprehension . I notice that this topic is for high end, full-sized headphones not mid tier IEMs. I'll leave the post unchanged as it still serves.

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #4,924 of 6,432
Quote:
I know right? He actually managed to refrain himself from upgrading for 5 years O_O

I wish I was capable of this... 5 years with no upgrades = no money spent! lol

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #4,926 of 6,432
Upgrade /= Sidegrade

rolleyes.gif
 just saying

Sep 27, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #4,929 of 6,432
saw a guy jogging earlier with a pair of iem's.  Not sure which ones but he had a Whiplash TWag cable.  Pretty decent cable to be jogging around with.

Sep 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #4,930 of 6,432
I get a lot of "Is that a bomb?" reactions to my portable setup (Ipod touch, Fiio E6, and a big bulky DIY acoustic simulator) 
Someone yelled really loud right in my ear while I was wearing my Q701s "CAN YOU HEAR ME???" to which I turned to him and plainly said yes, and that they were open, so of course I could hear him. He just said that if I can hear him, then they aren't good quality, and walked away. No one I've talked to at my school has ever heard of open backed headphones. I guess they're uncommon to the Ibuds/Skullcandy/Beats crowd.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #4,932 of 6,432
Quote:

Oh lord.

Btw kudos for wearing your Q701's outdoors. How do you manage the cable?

Generally just loop it up close to the jack, and tuck the ends through so it doesn't unroll, and put it in my pocket. I've tried a braid before, but it ended up being about a foot too short to be practical. About 10 people in one of my classes swarmed my modded HD428s yesterday, passing them around and fighting over them. Gave me a good laugh when I said they only cost 20$. One quick cable fix and they were as good as new.

Sep 28, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #4,933 of 6,432
ever since i got my brothers iem, i remind them everyday they would have been already deaf if they kept stock apple/ samsung earbuds
i just got the fiio e17 at the beginning of summer, and i just bought the digizoid for a portable setup- and my brothers are like  "what another amp?"

i explain my setup as this: the DAC is the chip that processes the sound, the amp provides the "juice" to power it (they now get it)

but i hide my purchases from them as im going be spending some big moola in the coming year and hopefully stopping... at least with portable

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #4,934 of 6,432
slightly off topic, but oh well here goes
at jaben (headphone shop) i was with my friend to collect his repaired SRH940, and we saw this old man come to try out some headphones in about the $80 range (converted and import tax compensated)  the old man stated he had a SR80 and a DR150 and wants a replacement as his Golding broke. later me and my friend we're telling him about the different headphones he was trying (M50,A500,) while explaining the ones we had (my HD558 and friend's SRH940) and one part in particular confused the old man. 
he said: what's soundstage?
we were a little speachless and surprised.
later we joked that because he only had cans like Grados and Goldrings he has no clue what soundstage sounds like
tongue.gif
 (no offence grado and goldring fans they sound quite good but i just feel that those headphones have very narrow soundstages)

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #4,935 of 6,432
Quote:

If you're referring to those new earbuds (?) Apple's shipping with their new gadgets (e.g. iPhone 5, upcoming iPod Touch, etc.), then I seriously doubt it's going to affect the audio industry very much. Sure, a lot of people will probably take note of the improved SQ over the previous model, but chances are pretty good that they'll just think that these are "the new best earphones in the market, second only to Beats" (ugh).

Sorry about that. I'm not necessarily a hater, but I get this humongous urge to act sarcastic whenever people bring up iBuds (sorry— EarPods) or Beats cans in a conversation; the fanaticism they inspire is a bit irritating, not to mention disheartening. 

That is understandable, think of it another time: Many say, "the most significant upgrade is ditching your iBuds", but what happens when ditching them is not so significant anymore?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back