Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Sep 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #4,936 of 6,432
Quote:
ever since i got my brothers iem, i remind them everyday they would have been already deaf if they kept stock apple/ samsung earbuds
i just got the fiio e17 at the beginning of summer, and i just bought the digizoid for a portable setup- and my brothers are like  "what another amp?"

i explain my setup as this: the DAC is the chip that processes the sound, the amp provides the "juice" to power it (they now get it)

but i hide my purchases from them as im going be spending some big moola in the coming year and hopefully stopping... at least with portable

Uhh… Last time I checked you don't need DAC's or amp's for IEM's, unless you're listening to a garbage phone or computer (note: Most modern phones (mostly every worthily smartphone post-iPhone 3g is audibly transparent)

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #4,937 of 6,432
Quote:
That is understandable, think of it another time: Many say, "the most significant upgrade is ditching your iBuds", but what happens when ditching them is not so significant anymore?

Apple has a tendancy to try to monopolize markets. They run out Android, and Amazon's app store. They make their products use special chargers so that if yours broke or got lost, you have to buy from them. They basically own the idea of a smartphone now, and will sue anyone who dares step in their way. This is no acception. If the upgrade from the stock buds isn't all that great, many people will not bother to spend money on something new. Plus, they will all get used to that certain sound signature, and anything different will sound wierd. They are trying to edge out the audiophile community's small claim in "thier territory". If they want better sound, the first place they will turn is Apple's iems. If their buds break, the first place the will go is back to the stock buds. After all, those "audiophile" buds aren't even all that great. It is kind of a genius marketing step for them. Besides that, like beats, they are ruining the name of audiophilia. Now, the masses think about high end audio, they will think of Apple and Monster instead of AKG or Audio Technica. They are gaining another market.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #4,939 of 6,432
Quote:
...they just said "Wow" and their jaws both dropped ;P

...then the girls and your HD800 were never seen again...
cool.gif

Oct 2, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #4,942 of 6,432
I remember when I heard hi-fi gear for the first time, my friends 770's.

I take my Shure 940's to college and have yet to get a negative reaction, even from beats by dre users. They all want to trade, no thanks xD
I did, however, get Offered a pair of K701's and an e7

Turned it down

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #4,943 of 6,432
Oct 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4,944 of 6,432
haha.. right on Annirak! Spread the word and share the knowledge for the good cans. The DJ750's are one of my favorate under $200 headphones and I also find them very underrated. I actually prefer them more than the M50's because the 750's have a better midrange and more controlled, tighter bass. 

It's always awesome letting a Beats owner A/B with one of your headphones.

Best response I got from a friend who was a Beats fan after listening to my750djs, HD25's or m80's was, "Man.. now my Beats sound like i'm listening to their voice under water."

Oct 2, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #4,945 of 6,432
Quote:
haha.. right on Annirak! Spread the word and share the knowledge for the good cans. The DJ750's are one of my favorate under $200 headphones and I also find them very underrated. I actually prefer them more than the M50's because the 750's have a better midrange and more controlled, tighter bass. 

It's always awesome letting a Beats owner A/B with one of your headphones.

Best response I got from a friend who was a Beats fan after listening to my750djs, HD25's or m80's was, "Man.. now my Beats sound like i'm listening to their voice under water."

Is it sad that I did the same thing with a pair of xb500's xD They got mad at me because that's all they heard was the muffled upper-mid range. (Not that the xb500's don't have the same problem but yeah)

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #4,946 of 6,432
I have this friend, who sort of knew I was into headphones, I tried to recommend him some good headphones once, but that didn't work out.

He came up to me today and asked if I knew about the EarPods. He tried to convince me that they were some of the best ones available.

We got into a discussion about earbuds and IEMs for a moment, he admitted that IEMs were probably better sounding, but he could never get a good fit with them.

I offered to let him try out the W4s I had on me. Yes I had just cleaned the tips.

He put them under the ear style (Yes, the Westones), pushed them in (They were Shure Olives, he had assumed that all he needed was to push, he had never seen foam tips before), and they fell off after a second or two.

He went on to put his buds back on and grinned, "See, those in-ear things always fall off for me. Not like earbuds."

Should have brought my Etys, put some triple flanges on and jammed them into his ear. See how they would fall off them. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Someone else who had joined in after tried them out as well. Said they were too quiet. Typical.

Oct 3, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #4,947 of 6,432
haha.. yeah.. i actually even let a friend who had Beats solo try out my $50 Kickers and he was upset at how horrible his Beats sounded even when compared to these cheap headphones... lol... 

And as for IEM's... proper fit is so important... otherwise they'll sound quiet or lack all the dynamics. I normally pull the upper part of my ear up and back before I insert the eartip so i get a proper seal. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM Post #4,949 of 6,432
Using the Shure SRH940 for the first time at work. A guy in his 40's was staring so hard as he passed and was still staring about 15yards away...OK THEY'RE HUGE. I KNOW! :<

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #4,950 of 6,432
Quote:
 I wish I could tell the difference between sound coming from $40 headphones and the sound coming from headphones that cost nearly two month's rent.

Quote:
 Wow what a waste of money. Buy some $20 ear buds and spend the rest on an actual stereo system for your home. People wearing massive headphones in public look stupid.

Quote:
 Wow. I think I'll stick with the HD555 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back