Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #4,576 of 6,432
It's a shame that you can't share IEMs the same way you can pass around full sized cans. I love the hobby, but it's unsanitary plus the seal needs to be correct or you're doing yourself a disservice 
etysmile.gif

Jul 10, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #4,577 of 6,432
Quote:
It's a shame that you can't share IEMs the same way you can pass around full sized cans. I love the hobby, but it's unsanitary plus the seal needs to be correct or you're doing yourself a disservice 
etysmile.gif

I've always thought it would be interesting to design a universal custom - e.g. you would have custom inserts made that accepted a standardized plug and then various iems (with the plug design) could be tried out. One company could offer Dynamic, 2, 3 and 4 BA phones - and other companies could design for the same system without having to spend money on additional tooling. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #4,578 of 6,432
Quote:

You can get HD650's for less than $500, but $500 is Sennheiser's MAP for most authorized dealers.  That's what I paid when I got them too.  Pair that with some SilverDragon V3 cable, and its a great set up to move up in.

EDIT: What kind of Amp and DAC was he using?

I think someone should do a video recording of a non-audiophile reaction.

Don't lure the new ones to consumerist habits, please.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #4,581 of 6,432
Quote:
Agreed. I'm a big fan on my Etys but you can't really pass them around.

Any recommendation for a great pair of full sized cans that can be driven unamped by an iphone/ipod?

Any of the 32 ohm Beyers, the Senn 598, AKG K240 and K550, Grados (any of them), Most of the AudioTechnicas... etc. Denon D1001/2000/5000, Shure 840, Ultrasone Ed8 (plus most any of their others)

Tons, really. Can you narrow down any more what your budget and other factors are? (Open/Closed, general musical preferences)

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #4,582 of 6,432
Quote:

Any of the 32 ohm Beyers, the Senn 598, AKG K240 and K550, Grados (any of them), Most of the AudioTechnicas... etc. Denon D1001/2000/5000, Shure 840, Ultrasone Ed8 (plus most any of their others)

Tons, really. Can you narrow down any more what your budget and other factors are? (Open/Closed, general musical preferences)

I like the sound of my etys so i want them to be neutral sounding. Closed. and my budget is $400.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #4,583 of 6,432
Quote:
I like the sound of my etys so i want them to be neutral sounding. Closed. and my budget is $400.

denon d2000 would fit your budget.  they are closed and can be driven unamped.  they are quite natural sounding with maybe a very slight emphasis on the bass. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4,585 of 6,432
Quote:
Thanks Jham! Now i need to find a place to audition them...

Good luck because they are discontinued so finding a place to audition them is like finding a needle in a haystack, except with no needle in.
The only way to get one is (if you live in the states) in headphone.com and buy directly from them. They had a surprising restock but in limited quantities so act fast.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #4,586 of 6,432
Quote:

Good luck because they are discontinued so finding a place to audition them is like finding a needle in a haystack, except with no needle in.
The only way to get one is (if you live in the states) in headphone.com and buy directly from them. They had a surprising restock but in limited quantities so act fast.

Crap!

Any other recommendations? 

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #4,587 of 6,432
Quote:

Crap!

Not full size, but the Beyer DT1350 is a very neutral closed back headphone, with better than average isolation.

Otherwise, there are not very many neutral closed headphones (lots of open ones)... the Sony V6 wasn't bad, likewise the DT48 E. The numbers on the AKG 550 don't look bad, but I have not hear them to say. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #4,588 of 6,432
Quote:

Crap!

Well your best bet is the K550. I've never heard the D2000 but I have the K550.
The problem with the K550 is that it needs a fairly dynamic amp to give the most out of it even though they are extremely efficient. They sound reasonably good with impactful bass and deep but the midrange is a bit distant. the vocals sounds a bit thin and the treble might be too zingy.
But it's party piece is the soundstage and seals very well and doesn't leak sound. They are also extremely comfortable,
The soundstage is the widest I've heard in a closed headphone, almost rivaling open headphones and the background is extremely black.
Or an altrenative, there's the V-Moda M80 which is an on-ear headphone which is raved by the Head-fi community and the up and coming V-Moda M100 which should be released in early August.
I would wait a little bit more and go with the V-Moda M100 if I were you.

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4,589 of 6,432
Quote:
Well your best bet is the K550. I've never heard the D2000 but I have the K550.
The problem with the K550 is that it needs a fairly dynamic amp to give the most out of it even though they are extremely efficient. They sound reasonably good with impactful bass and deep but the midrange is a bit distant. the vocals sounds a bit thin and the treble might be too zingy.
But it's party piece is the soundstage and seals very well and doesn't leak sound. They are also extremely comfortable,
The soundstage is the widest I've heard in a closed headphone, almost rivaling open headphones and the background is extremely black.
Or an altrenative, there's the V-Moda M80 which is an on-ear headphone which is raved by the Head-fi community and the up and coming V-Moda M100 which should be released in early August.
I would wait a little bit more and go with the V-Moda M100 if I were you.

They look pretty good. I'll see if I can find them at my local J&R to try out. 

How radical is the change from unamped to amped? Would they still be enjoyable driven by an iphone for extended listening?

Jul 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #4,590 of 6,432
Quote:
They look pretty good. I'll see if I can find them at my local J&R to try out. 

How radical is the change from unamped to amped? Would they still be enjoyable driven by an iphone for extended listening?

You will still enjoy it unamped. The changes are not radical enough but is beneficial to the K550. Without an amp, you'll miss the mids and the highs a bit and will sound a bit slow. With an amp (depending which one), it will make the K550 sound a bit more faster, cleaner, punchier, more dynamic and will lift the mids but then, the limiting factor is still the DAC of your iPhone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back