Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 29, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #4,606 of 6,432
Quote:
Today my friend's parents bought him beats studios for his birthday. As I realize the mediocrity of the beats, I choked out a "yup" when his parents asked me if I liked the booming bass on the headphones. I felt bad lying to them, but I didn't want to rain on their $300 purchase :/

...and they never heard another word from mr.newyear ever again.  

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #4,607 of 6,432
he didn't have his solos or hd800 with him, so i couldn't do that, i let him hear my one of a few rock songs i have, 'Behind These Hazel Eyes' at 237 kbps cause i couldn't get a highter version (i have 90+% electronic music which most people here where i am do not like) using my pair, and he was quite amazed, he took my pair and tried to listen to his 128 variant, and he said yes there is a difference and ask me to blutooth it over, in my mind all the way i was thinking about the $3000+ his parents wasted on the setup if he were to run only 128 and 196 files through it...

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #4,608 of 6,432
Quote:
he didn't have his solos or hd800 with him, so i couldn't do that, i let him hear my one of a few rock songs i have, 'Behind These Hazel Eyes' at 237 kbps cause i couldn't get a highter version (i have 90+% electronic music which most people here where i am do not like) using my pair, and he was quite amazed, he took my pair and tried to listen to his 128 variant, and he said yes there is a difference and ask me to blutooth it over, in my mind all the way i was thinking about the $3000+ his parents wasted on the setup if he were to run only 128 and 196 files through it...

You could always being over a few CDs or send him over some FLAC files and get him to figure out for himself that the HD800s are way better than his Solos. Actually, I question the fact that anyone could own both headphones on the level of the HD800s and ones on the level of... well, yeah. Beats 
confused.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #4,609 of 6,432
Quote:
Uh-oh...I see a new contest brewing: Youngest Head-Fi'er. (Parental Guidance Suggested.)

Of course, if this helps the young'uns differentiate between good and merely loud, I say: bring it!

- Barrett

I'm 13
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2012 at 3:37 AM Post #4,611 of 6,432
Quote:

Haha. Well I have not had any weird reactions thus far as I do not let other people try on my TripleFi 10's. I am however getting Grado SR80i's soon. I will let people try them on
beyersmile.png

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #4,613 of 6,432
lol

Nobody likes my PortaPros. People think I'm crazy. Especially when I'm 15 and I'm a girl. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #4,614 of 6,432
Quote:
lol

Nobody likes my PortaPros. People think I'm crazy. Especially when I'm 15 and I'm a girl. 

People at my school ripped on me pretty bad when I got my PortaPros lol. I think the style is pretty sweet though. Just tell them how good the bass is (not really a lie). Worked for this 17 y/o guy. 

Best reaction was when my sister came home from university to find my new HD598s and asked me what happened to my over-ear skullcandies. When I said they broke, she said that it's too bad I had to settle for the Senn's instead. I almost died laughing. I never did tell her the price. 
Also, one friend asked me for help picking headphones after listening to my srh440s. I pointed him to some sr60s and some cheaper Koss products. The next week he tells me how I have to hear his killer new cans. We get to his house and I see a pair of Apple iHome headphones. I restrained myself from punching him in the teeth when he started explaining how they were almost as good as Beats and only $40.

Jul 29, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #4,616 of 6,432
Quote:
People at my school ripped on me pretty bad when I got my PortaPros lol. I think the style is pretty sweet though. Just tell them how good the bass is (not really a lie). Worked for this 17 y/o guy. 

Best reaction was when my sister came home from university to find my new HD598s and asked me what happened to my over-ear skullcandies. When I said they broke, she said that it's too bad I had to settle for the Senn's instead. I almost died laughing. I never did tell her the price. 
Also, one friend asked me for help picking headphones after listening to my srh440s. I pointed him to some sr60s and some cheaper Koss products. The next week he tells me how I have to hear his killer new cans. We get to his house and I see a pair of Apple iHome headphones. I restrained myself from punching him in the teeth when he started explaining how they were almost as good as Beats and only $40.

... There are no words to express my sincere condolences, not to mention how irritated I am right now. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #4,617 of 6,432
Quote:

Ha! This girl asked if I got them at a garage sale.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #4,618 of 6,432
Here's a good reaction I got from a friend yesterday.

He's a beats user. Owns the Solos. Not an audiophile, you're average consumer. I gave a few songs to listen to a few days ago and when we were hanging I asked he looked them up. He said no, so he did that now, and since I've been raving about my new headphones (Superlux HD668B) he asked if he could try them as he was curious to see why I was raving about them. Puts em on and listens to both songs, then even more from his personal library. After he's done I ask him what he thinks, he says they're amazing and he really liked them. He said he didn't want to take them off, and was in fact about to ask if he could use it again but then but then my other friends got here and so we then we started doing other stuff.

Actual good sounding headphones: 1, beats 0

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #4,619 of 6,432
lol

this older guy in my bus used to have portapros. I thought it looked retro and pretty cool...although a bit unusual. Obviously now that I know what they are I no longer seem him around anymore.

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #4,620 of 6,432
I had a good friend of mine try out mine try out my Turbine Golds. He plugged them into his phone played a song and goes "holly ****! I can hear ALL the guitar strums separately"! He listened for a while before giving them to his wife to try and she goes "Yep, I can still hear the music". I almost fell over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back