Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jul 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #4,516 of 6,432
Quote:
Uh-oh...I see a new contest brewing: Youngest Head-Fi'er. (Parental Guidance Suggested.)

Of course, if this helps the young'uns differentiate between good and merely loud, I say: bring it!

- Barrett

I'm 12 and what is this?

Jul 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #4,517 of 6,432
I posted that JLE remix in that thread a loooooooooong time ago. :D

Quote:

Yeah there is a thread for good music for personal benchmarking of headphones (I actually have it open in another tab right now) (http://www.head-fi.org/t/142023/songs-that-make-your-headphone-wooooow/1800)

And in trying to keep it on topic as well, people always stare at me funny for having my ATH-A700s, due to the sheer size of the cans. Then they put them on, and forget they are there.

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #4,519 of 6,432
Quote:
In July 2010 I went to college with nothing more than a Philips headset. After a month or so, when studying was at a full swing, I started relaxing with some Jazz.. Previously I had a huge experience with audio and music in general. Lots of hi-fi, high-endish stuff in my house, mostly my uncle's who is the director of the most successful annual jazz festival in the region "Skopje Jazz Festival". Weve had all of the jazz greats except Miles and Coltrane.. and when I say all... i mean ALL including some Blues legends. So I am pretty much used to some great gear and music..

As I was relaxing with my jazz.. I realized that I would benefit a lot if I had a nice pair of speakers OR headphones (which seemed much more reasonable since I have to move every 6 months)..

When my first internship started I accidentally bought a pair of Beats Studios which I got reimbursed for in a week (left/right not quite sure, driver went up in flames) and then I bought my AKG K242s

So I returned to my second year with a pair of "audiophile" cans... 
Literally on my way back home after semester 3, I had already decided to buy the K701s... (can you guess whos fault?? Correct.. its your fault... Head-Fi!!)

Now, Im returning to semester 5 with the K701s and a pretty serious rig... Schiit Lyr (Mullards), Schiit Bifrost. This just got me thinking... what happens on my way back from semester 5??? Am I already into Stax by then or maybe even MBL Radialstahler 101 extreme... ?? 

Anyways, I went a bit off topic.. I was gonna talk bout how my friends take my hobby and how they react to my cans... Well Im still curious how they gonna react to my K701s. My best friend who plays the bass (kinda) wasnt too impressed with my K242s driven from the laptop (well neither was I, thats why I bought the whole rig). But usually, people who already heard my rig at my place, are very impressed. 

The K701 gets quite a lot of bashing on these forums.. totally unjustified simply because it performs considerably better for its price and because people dont bother looking for the right amp for it.. Also, i think its pretty stupid to compare it to high end cans that cost $1500, just as it is stupid to compare it to cans that cost $150-$200 usd...

If you pay that much for the esoteric bit (700$ isn't it?), then there is no justification for the "performance/price" relation as it's probably bias on your side

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #4,521 of 6,432
No indeed. If anything, they are an ugly AKG K240 knock off. 

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #4,525 of 6,432
Quote:
I have the Superlux HD681s, and they are a lot more attractive in person. Still can't see how someone can confuse them for the Beats!

maybe because they are so gigantic. buy i dont remember the studios being that big. o-o

the 681's look like they are about as big as a Sony XB700. maybe a little smaller 

Also. It's funny. The 681's are far from high end but still manage to leave a higher priced headphone bruised and battered 

Jul 2, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4,526 of 6,432
Quote:
maybe because they are so gigantic. buy i dont remember the studios being that big. o-o

the 681's look like they are about as big as a Sony XB700. maybe a little smaller 

Also. It's funny. The 681's are far from high end but still manage to leave a higher priced headphone bruised and battered 

Agreed. To segue this back to on-topic, I actually showed my cousin my Fiio E5 and Superlux HD681s. He *LOVED* them and actually asked his wife to buy him a pair for Christmas. Mission accomplished!

Edit: And yes, his wife obliged.

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #4,528 of 6,432
Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to reply.  I don't check this thread very often.  I don't know which model they are, but apparently they are the ones that use batteries for active noise cancelling.

Studios, which are the second most expensive ones (the Pros have the not-so-honourable distinction of having the biggest price tag), and have the worst price-to-performance ratio that I've heard. Well, that last observation could just be my passive dislike of active noise-cancelling headphones, and the fact that you can't use the cans without batteries jacked in. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #4,529 of 6,432
the studios...... their active noise canceling feature gave me headaches 5 minutes into testing at the shop, my non audiophile friend who tagged along said the same thing too, my other friend who is audiophile-like only tried them for a few seconds for the lols

the solos are the ones with the worse performance price ratio. they are 35% cheaper but they sound 60% worse than the already bad beats studios.
sounds similar if not worse than the senn hd202 

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #4,530 of 6,432
^No kidding. I had the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 at one point. After letting people try them out in highschool (I was a Junior) they were amazed at how light and comfortable they were. Most of them were like "Wow! It sounds like the sound it coming from all directions like in a movie theater!"

I think movie theaters sound okay... but I guess it's the best some people ever really listen to. Says a lot for the incredible soundstage of the 'phone though. If only there were a normal amount of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back