Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 30, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #4,486 of 6,432
Quote:
i saw some jvc iem and they were boasting about dual dynamic driver technology, is having 2 dynamic drivers in am iem really nessasary??

It's not a necessity, but in principle, two speakers that split the frequency response should be able to handle their individual tasks better than one driver trying to cover the same spectrum. I've only heard the Radius DDM, and my own Koss KDE/250, and they both sound very nice although I haven't heard too many high-end dynamic IEMs. Also, if a speaker is completely occupied with bass, the vocals and treble may fade in and out with every beat, which doesn't happen when two or more drivers are used. 

I think that electrostats and such are superior with one driver because of how light and precise the drivers are. They are able to handle more speaker 'play' without catering to one set of sounds and blocking others.

On Topic: My brother is home from Fort Drum NY! I'll have to see how he likes my Klipsch Image X10 and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10!

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #4,487 of 6,432
Maybe it's just me who are interested in good SQ, or people in my home country are little... stupid about SQ

I'm in the middle of a war with my parents in order to buy a pair of V-moda Crossfade LP, which they and other people i know called "looks ugly". The only name they said when i said about good quality headphones are "Beats", "Beats Pro", "Beats Studio".  I felt like I'm the only audiophile in my country right now. I don't know why they don't care about how the SQ is and only focus on how cool does it looks

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #4,488 of 6,432
Biggest problem for me, is convincing friends who use decent budget earphones (which I got them to buy in the first place) that it's worth it to buy pricier setups. One of them has a NuForce silver bullet and when he listened to my K550 or D5000, he's like, can't hear much of a difference to justify the price difference.

Jul 1, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #4,489 of 6,432
Takes me way back to high school when I first got interested in what we called "hi fi". I remember asking my parents for a pair of Sennheiser HD 414 headphones for Xmas to pair with my Technics receiver and direct drive turntable. Everyone who looked at them thought they looked like a cheap piece of plastic junk but were blown away by the sound. 
L3000.gif

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #4,490 of 6,432
Always "wow! These sound really good" until I lay down the price (my Senn 598s), "I paid $180 for them at the time, but the price is back up to $250." Then their tune changes to "wow! I'm never going to spend that much money on headphones."

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #4,491 of 6,432
Quote:
Maybe it's just me who are interested in good SQ, or people in my home country are little... stupid about SQ

I'm in the middle of a war with my parents in order to buy a pair of V-moda Crossfade LP, which they and other people i know called "looks ugly". The only name they said when i said about good quality headphones are "Beats", "Beats Pro", "Beats Studio".  I felt like I'm the only audiophile in my country right now. I don't know why they don't care about how the SQ is and only focus on how cool does it looks

That's...everywhere, sadly. The best headphones I've ever seen anybody wear is the Audio Technica ATH-M50, and that's because I told the guy to buy them. Plenty of Beats here in the United States, though. :frowning2:

I just let my dad listen to my ATH-M50 and PreSonus Audiobox USB. He said that it "spoiled him". Wait until he goes to our regional Head-Fi meet with me this August (I'm 15, so I can't drive myself). I feel really sorry for his wallet.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #4,492 of 6,432
Quote:

that's a first

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #4,493 of 6,432
My father recently heard my HD800s for the first time. He really enjoyed them. Likes them better than my LCD 2.2. My girlfriend feels the same way as well. She was dancing around when she put them on the first time and now admits that she's starting to care about better sound (I'm so proud. It's only taken 5 years together but it's starting to happen).

Price always does blow minds though...

Jul 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #4,494 of 6,432
I find that the only people who really appreciate my equipment are people who have training. Mom's a pianist, Grandmother's a vocalist and pianist, Dad's a guitarist, friends play harp, sing, piano, and drums...

As for class mates, and roommates, the only person who really appreciated my equipment is a guitarist. Everyone else is like HURRDURR WHERES THE BASS.

I'm an analytical fan.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #4,495 of 6,432
Yea, People these days seem to think that if the bass isnt one note and boomy that it isnt good. Every day at a random time, Some guy drives up to the apt complex and sits there with his boombox car subs. Blasting his rap music, and all you can hear is Boom Boom Boom. No words or any other parts of the song.Just the same boom and random pauses in the song. Follow by the rattle.

The Worst part is, He comes back early in the morning around 2Am blasting that same thing and sitting there.

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #4,496 of 6,432
Quote:
Yea, People these days seem to think that if the bass isnt one note and boomy that it isnt good. Every day at a random time, Some guy drives up to the apt complex and sits there with his boombox car subs. Blasting his rap music, and all you can hear is Boom Boom Boom. No words or any other parts of the song.Just the same boom and random pauses in the song. Follow by the rattle.

The Worst part is, He comes back early in the morning around 2Am blasting that same thing and sitting there.

use a gun, shoot out his woofers

Jul 1, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #4,498 of 6,432
Uh-oh...I see a new contest brewing: Youngest Head-Fi'er. (Parental Guidance Suggested.)

Of course, if this helps the young'uns differentiate between good and merely loud, I say: bring it!

- Barrett

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #4,499 of 6,432
In July 2010 I went to college with nothing more than a Philips headset. After a month or so, when studying was at a full swing, I started relaxing with some Jazz.. Previously I had a huge experience with audio and music in general. Lots of hi-fi, high-endish stuff in my house, mostly my uncle's who is the director of the most successful annual jazz festival in the region "Skopje Jazz Festival". Weve had all of the jazz greats except Miles and Coltrane.. and when I say all... i mean ALL including some Blues legends. So I am pretty much used to some great gear and music..

As I was relaxing with my jazz.. I realized that I would benefit a lot if I had a nice pair of speakers OR headphones (which seemed much more reasonable since I have to move every 6 months)..

When my first internship started I accidentally bought a pair of Beats Studios which I got reimbursed for in a week (left/right not quite sure, driver went up in flames) and then I bought my AKG K242s

So I returned to my second year with a pair of "audiophile" cans... 
Literally on my way back home after semester 3, I had already decided to buy the K701s... (can you guess whos fault?? Correct.. its your fault... Head-Fi!!)

Now, Im returning to semester 5 with the K701s and a pretty serious rig... Schiit Lyr (Mullards), Schiit Bifrost. This just got me thinking... what happens on my way back from semester 5??? Am I already into Stax by then or maybe even MBL Radialstahler 101 extreme... ?? 

Anyways, I went a bit off topic.. I was gonna talk bout how my friends take my hobby and how they react to my cans... Well Im still curious how they gonna react to my K701s. My best friend who plays the bass (kinda) wasnt too impressed with my K242s driven from the laptop (well neither was I, thats why I bought the whole rig). But usually, people who already heard my rig at my place, are very impressed. 

The K701 gets quite a lot of bashing on these forums.. totally unjustified simply because it performs considerably better for its price and because people dont bother looking for the right amp for it.. Also, i think its pretty stupid to compare it to high end cans that cost $1500, just as it is stupid to compare it to cans that cost $150-$200 usd...

Jul 1, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #4,500 of 6,432
Quote:
Can you please then tell me how those tunes I posted don't have subbass then?

Quote:

You're thinking of the mainstream dubstep that everybody and their dog knows about. "True" dubstep is all about the (sub)bassweight. Examples: 

(Please note that Youtube really screws up the quality of these tracks.) 

Oldschool dubstep! :D i thought i was the only one that knows what dubstep is lol but yes, modern mainstream dubstep doesnt not freakin have the amount of sub bass it used to have, modern dubstep is weak and cheesy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back