Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Nov 25, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #2,851 of 6,432
Yeah it's kind of annoying sometimes when people can't hear what is so important to audio-freaks like us. It's like being the only person out of everyone around you who can see high definition video, and everyone keeps telling you that your stupid expensive 1080p display was a total waste of money, versus their cheaper 240p monitor.

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,852 of 6,432

Quote:
I arrive home from a business trip with my new LCD-2, and my wife says: "Those headphones are UGLY"

After 1 week, I'm listening to my E10->Schiit Lyr->LCD-2.2, and my wife comes to the studio. I lent her LCD-2, put some of her favorite music (2 songs) and wait... she removes the LCD-2 and says: "They sound the same as the ones you gave me (Creative Aurvana Live), and I like those more than this".

I'm thinking of asking for a divorce, but is not fair for my 2 years old child and soon-to-be-born baby :p

She doesn't like analytical headphones. 
biggrin.gif

But imo, they're not one of the best looking headphones. I do not like vintage styles (classic cars, houses, etc).

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,853 of 6,432
-my gf listening to my Beyer T70's on my iBasso D6

"Oh that's really nice!"

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #2,854 of 6,432

Quote:
I arrive home from a business trip with my new LCD-2, and my wife says: "Those headphones are UGLY"

After 1 week, I'm listening to my E10->Schiit Lyr->LCD-2.2, and my wife comes to the studio. I lent her LCD-2, put some of her favorite music (2 songs) and wait... she removes the LCD-2 and says: "They sound the same as the ones you gave me (Creative Aurvana Live), and I like those more than this".

I'm thinking of asking for a divorce, but is not fair for my 2 years old child and soon-to-be-born baby :p

Keep the wife, change the source. Almost 3k in headgear and a 100$ DAC? No wonder she doesn't hear any difference.

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,855 of 6,432
I let my neighbor listen to my MS1is when he came by for a beer, then got a message from him about a week later that he'd just bought a pair of SR60is. He loves 'em.

My wife, thankfully, "gets it". I set her up while she was working to listen to Pink Floyd's "Burning Bridges" to provide a good example of this soundstage/imaging/clarity/instrument separation mumbo-jumbo.

"Cool, I'll bring it back after this song."

Meanwhile, I'm reading in the other room, and realize that about 35-40 minutes have gone by when she walks into the living room with the headphones and amp/pmp.

"Wow. I had to listen to the rest of the album. Sorry about that." :D

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #2,856 of 6,432

Quote:
My father helped me move a few things to my new place and tried my HD 598. I enjoyed his reaction.
'Wait.' He paused and took them off. 'Oh I thought you had the speakers on. **** these sound good. How much were they?' I paid 170. 'Jeez, your Denons weren't much better than these and they were 700.'
Gotta say I agree. This being the reason I now think the HD 598 at their price point are the best headphones ever. Dad's an old Hi-fi guy so he isn't as shocked by price as most. Thank god.

I got the exact same reaction out of a friend this weekend.. He put on my HD598's and a minute later asked me to turn them on, needless to say he was very surprised when I told him they were on

Nov 25, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #2,857 of 6,432
I posted about this reaction from my father awhile back...Also with the 598. 

Quote:
I got the exact same reaction out of a friend this weekend.. He put on my HD598's and a minute later asked me to turn them on, needless to say he was very surprised when I told him they were on

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #2,858 of 6,432

Quote:

Keep the wife, change the source. Almost 3k in headgear and a 100$ DAC? No wonder she doesn't hear any difference.

Hahaha :)

I'm out of money after Edition 8 LE and LCD-2.2. I hope next year I can get a nice DAC :p

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #2,860 of 6,432

Quote:
What's a $1000 DAC gonna do anyway? Lol. 

If you polish a turd, it is still a turd.
tongue.gif

Seriously, my 'phones sound far better when I plug my $2000 CD player into either of my headphone amps.
My iBasso D12 just doesn't sound as good...................I've tried using it as a DAC only into my headphone amps.........it's just not the same. Some clarity and articulation and finesse is lost. But then the D12 is only 275 bucks.

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #2,861 of 6,432

Quote:
If you polish a turd, it is still a turd.
tongue.gif

Not to mention if you amplify one...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on the E10, heck I even might get one for my laptop. It's just that the amplifier won't do any good if there isn't any information coming from the DAC. A fine amp won't add anything, but it won't lose anything either. A better DAC will get you more details and a more neutral frequency response, a good amp will just make them audible and those 1000$ headphones will make sure that all that hard work ends up hitting your eardrums. If anything the school of audio I subscribe to would be source-centric. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2,862 of 6,432
Exactly! Crap in, crap out. I don't understand why people have told me that the trandsucer (headphone/speaker) makes the most difference in addition to what you said. I never gave the transducer idea more than a few minutes of thought but still...

Quote:
Not to mention if you amplify one...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing on the E10, heck I even might get one for my laptop. It's just that the amplifier won't do any good if there isn't any information coming from the DAC. A fine amp won't add anything, but it won't lose anything either. A better DAC will get you more details and a more neutral frequency response, a good amp will just make them audible and those 1000$ headphones will make sure that all that hard work ends up hitting your eardrums. If anything the school of audio I subscribe to would be source-centric. 

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #2,863 of 6,432

Quote:
Exactly! Crap in, crap out. I don't understand why people have told me that the trandsucer (headphone/speaker) makes the most difference in addition to what you said. I never gave the transducer idea more than a few minutes of thought but still...

My Q701s have shown me how bad an iPod headphone jack sounds, how bad my HP notebook headphone jack sounds.........etc

Which leads into the question:

What non-audiophile reactions do you get from your high-end DAC and headphone amp?

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #2,864 of 6,432

Quote:

To quote Depeche Mode- "Everything counts, in large amounts."

My opinion is that most of the times in an average Joe system the transducer will be the weakest link. I remember hooking my SR80i for the first time to my laptop and there was a tremendous increase in details that I had no idea about. I am pretty sure that I would get the same reaction from plugging in a RS1i, but the difference between the two would not be that great. I think that the same thing happened to our comrade who tried to impress his wife. Now hook those headphones to a Benchmark or a Lavry and now the Aurvana may or may not sound different but I'm sure that the LCD-2 will scale up.

And to end with another quote...

"And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out. Keep going.
Spiral out. Keep going..."

Nov 26, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,865 of 6,432
In a thread where I was given this transducer idea, I said "OK, so will Senn HD650s hooked up to a Little Dot amp and a Yulong D100 sound bettr, or will Beyer T1s out of a FiiO E7 sound better?" And they said "I don't know about T1s out of an E7 but I know that T1s out of budget gear will sound better than 650s out of better/good gear." I was amazed at how one could think this. Maybe he's right an dI'll test this out someday when I get the chance, but until then I don't believe it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back