Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Nov 10, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #2,821 of 6,432
I've only let my wife try on my headphones (I'm kind of a germaphobe) and while she was skeptical at first, her wide eyes told it all.  I suggested we both watch a movie once I get my another decent pair and she's all about it:)

I see that you have the HD 558 and you're planning on buying the HD 600. Are you both going to watch a movie in open headphones at the same time?

Nov 10, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,822 of 6,432
Quote:
Photo taken from Hong Kong AV show earlier this year - these words come right from Beats. This photo is not key-ed or otherwise modified in any way.

I believe that advertising slogan is for the Turbine series, not Beats by Dre. Did make me LOL though 
beerchug.gif
 Another quote :"The thrill of hearing tiny details you've never heard before. In songs you thought you knew inside out. With the sleek and rugged Beats™ by Dr. Dre™ over-ear headphones engineered by Monster, thrills rule."

It's for Beats by Dre.. Says it in the inside of the box.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #2,825 of 6,432
Hey all! *
The first & foremost reaction I get to my cans is "Why'd you get openbacks?" or "Hey, that's a lot of money..." because they don't understand our hobby. For me it's the quest for tolerable accuracy in a hifi system as a network. i.e, synergy's huge here.
Sometimes I feel like i'm the only one who isn't a 'sub-100Hz - head' :grin: :thmbsdn:

*having been away from Head-fi for quite some time, just wanted to say how fitting this thread is. So much is it in the spirit of head-fi that it single handedly made my chime in tonight :)
:smoke: x2

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:06 AM Post #2,828 of 6,432
We'll probably switch off between the open and closed ones.  I'd like to work my way up to higher end headphones while matching them with similar amps or sources.  I think I'm in it for the long haul and find myself reading more and more about them.  I guess I want to slowly train my ears and savor the refinement while building a collection of great equipment.

Nov 11, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #2,829 of 6,432
It is becoming pretty difficult to find people in Jcmbruce's category. Everyone wants to buy the flavor of the month (me included) rather than staying with what they bought and enjoying it fully and then moving up. I think all hobbies of late have become more of "I should own the best there is in the price range" rather than experiencing what they have and then possibly upgrading (after specifically saving up). Good luck to you Bruce... 

Quote:
We'll probably switch off between the open and closed ones.  I'd like to work my way up to higher end headphones while matching them with similar amps or sources.  I think I'm in it for the long haul and find myself reading more and more about them.  I guess I want to slowly train my ears and savor the refinement while building a collection of great equipment.

Nov 11, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #2,833 of 6,432

Quote:
Former fire fighter joins the music college. A teacher asks him- what is the difference between a violin and a double bass? Firefighter- the double bass burns longer.

That joke's better when it's about violas. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back