Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Nov 19, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #2,836 of 6,432

Quote:
It is becoming pretty difficult to find people in Jcmbruce's category. Everyone wants to buy the flavor of the month (me included) rather than staying with what they bought and enjoying it fully and then moving up. I think all hobbies of late have become more of "I should own the best there is in the price range" rather than experiencing what they have and then possibly upgrading (after specifically saving up). Good luck to you Bruce... 

Yeah, it took me a year to go from Portapro to AD700, a year to get an Amp/DAC, and another to get my M50s. I'm definitely in for the long haul and my next step is probably a truly mid-fi can or a hi-fi one. The time span has mostly been due to money but I still would of taken it slowly and built from the bottom up. I love headphones and the hobby not to stay true to my goals. I think it's just the best way to experience these things. Not to say I don't want to at least TRY and Audeze LCD-2 or a Stax SR009 one day
gs1000.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #2,837 of 6,432
Played Jon Gomm's "Passionflower" http://jongomm.com/music (the recording/mastering could use a little work) through my a700's to my roomate. He just sat still for 6 minutes and 25 seconds with his eyes closed. He took them off slowly and said "is this what you do in your spare time?" I simply replied "yes" with a smile.

Nov 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #2,838 of 6,432

Quote:

Dude, you may really need to check what stuttering is! It's a serious disability, which equals being blind or deaf. Take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-epHaW8nTJQ
My close friend is a stutterer and believe me I do have an idea how it can affect one's life. Try to be more understandable, you won't tell a guy without legs to run!

On topic: to be honest nobody who's visiting my house gives a damn about my headphones, and I'm fine with it. I have no portable gear, so there no reactions like "hey your cans are crap, they look cheap my beats are 69x better!" as well. Polish people are, in my opinion, even less interested in making research about things they buy than Americans. The good thing is, I'm yet to encounter a "you wasted your money" reaction when it comes to headphones, rather "you knew what you were doing, I'm sure you needed them" - at least nobody around me is playing a smartass when he knows nothing about something.

Offtopic-Yea I have Serious Stuttering my self and it is hard to live with as it effects your chances at getting a job, I even got turned down by target I applied to many years ago just because of it. I knew I could do the job they was hiring for as I worked at a franks nursey and craft but got that job with the help of a job placement that was working in together with the high school I attended. 

On topic-  Yea the only people who care what i spend on audio is my parents, thats it. Yea most people that do vist see them and dont even care about asking why I have them.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #2,839 of 6,432
Sometimes, if i sit in canteens (yes, i eat in canteens, because it is cheap), people come up to me and ask what i am having there, on my table. I don't listen to music while eating. 
If i tell them it is a amplifier, they are astonished and ask whether it is supposed to make the music louder (accompanied by a head movement, similar to the one, people on the street do when listening to Beats.
I only reply that my iems (RE262) need more "juice" (easier to understand) to run properly.
Why?
"Because i like listening to little details in music, such as strings on a guitar or a violin in the background."
People walk away chuckling to themselves....

Happens quite often. And is imo very enjoyable, even if people don't listen to them. IEMs need a good fit anyway, so i think it is unwise to let people try on iems as a first try.

Nov 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #2,840 of 6,432

Quote:
Sometimes, if i sit in canteens (yes, i eat in canteens, because it is cheap), people come up to me and ask what i am having there, on my table. I don't listen to music while eating. 
If i tell them it is a amplifier, they are astonished and ask whether it is supposed to make the music louder (accompanied by a head movement, similar to the one, people on the street do when listening to Beats.
I only reply that my iems (RE262) need more "juice" (easier to understand) to run properly.
Why?
"Because i like listening to little details in music, such as strings on a guitar or a violin in the background."
People walk away chuckling to themselves....

Happens quite often. And is imo very enjoyable, even if people don't listen to them. IEMs need a good fit anyway, so i think it is unwise to let people try on iems as a first try.

And the not so off hand chance of picking up a nice gob of earwax. Heck, I'd be real cautious to try them, never know if something nasty has built up there.

Nov 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #2,842 of 6,432
I've had a few reactions like that. Similar to...'Is this how you listen to music all the time?'

It's weird when people finally consider how much I listen and enjoy music they start to see why I put so much money into it. rather than 'HOLY CRAP $1000 HEADPHONES.'

Quote:
Played Jon Gomm's "Passionflower" http://jongomm.com/music (the recording/mastering could use a little work) through my a700's to my roomate. He just sat still for 6 minutes and 25 seconds with his eyes closed. He took them off slowly and said "is this what you do in your spare time?" I simply replied "yes" with a smile.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2,843 of 6,432
 I played Shine Acoustic (by Muse) for one of my friends through my Grados (with wood slip-ons..... Very yummy). The friend happened to be an Apple Fanatic who owns some beats solos. After a minute of listening, he flat-out said : "I'm selling these beats."

And quite surprised I was :)

He hasn't ended up selling them yet, but I'm helping him pick out a good pair of headphones :)

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #2,844 of 6,432

Quote:
 I played Shine Acoustic (by Muse) for one of my friends through my Grados (with wood slip-ons..... Very yummy). The friend happened to be an Apple Fanatic who owns some beats solos. After a minute of listening, he flat-out said : "I'm selling these beats."

And quite surprised I was :)

He hasn't ended up selling them yet, but I'm helping him pick out a good pair of headphones :)

I heard some Beats a few weeks ago. they sounded disgusting...............yuck!
People listen to those?

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #2,845 of 6,432

Quote:
People listen to those?

Unfortunately, they're the only "high end" (I laugh at that) headphones you'll see in Dubai :frowning2:

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,846 of 6,432
I let my 16 year old daughter listen to my GS1000i / MAD Ear+ HD / Musical Fidelity A5. She listened for about 30 seconds then pulled them off and said "they sound the same only louder" referring to her Ipod with stock ear buds. I would like to think she's not "my" daughter
wink_face.gif
Maybe a mix up at the hospital when she was born? Unfortunately the family resemblance is unmistakable. Very disappointing.

Nov 24, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #2,848 of 6,432

Quote:
People listen to those?

Same here....those give me severe headache.

At airports, i always see people grab the 500$ beats instead of some 535. 
I could never do that to myself (even before i actually was an audiophile).

Nov 25, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #2,849 of 6,432

Funny, had a similiar situation. A good friend with Beats seen that I was listening to ''unusual earbuds'' referring to my Westone 4's paired with my Cowon J3. He asked if he could have a listen. And he like it alot, then he asked how much it costed... I did not want to say the actual price of it at first, sayed it costs €150, he laughed saying his Beats was better then my W4's because they cost more -_-. I did not say anything . Later he asked me the type and he looked it up and saw it was $449 (€399) and all of a sudden he was quiet and walked away. I was about to say I was thinking of buying the Audeze LCD3 if he did not walk away
tongue.gif

I don't mind people saying that their headphones sounds better then mine, but if the only reason is because they cost more then I just don't take them seriously anymore.
Quote:
Same here....those give me severe headache.

At airports, i always see people grab the 500$ beats instead of some 535. 

Nov 25, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #2,850 of 6,432
I arrive home from a business trip with my new LCD-2, and my wife says: "Those headphones are UGLY"

After 1 week, I'm listening to my E10->Schiit Lyr->LCD-2.2, and my wife comes to the studio. I lent her LCD-2, put some of her favorite music (2 songs) and wait... she removes the LCD-2 and says: "They sound the same as the ones you gave me (Creative Aurvana Live), and I like those more than this".

I'm thinking of asking for a divorce, but is not fair for my 2 years old child and soon-to-be-born baby :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back