Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #2,806 of 6,432

Quote:
I remember about 2 weeks ago 2 guys in my algerba class were talking about headphones because 1 of them had gotten a new pair of skullcandy hesh so i decided to walk over and talk headphones with them. Right when i was about to say hey the the guy was like "the top 3 best headphones in the world skullcandy beats and bose. I turned right back around and walked away.

"The top 3 best headphones in the world"? More like "the top 3 most heavily marketed headphone brands in the world". All three companies offer products that are pretty good, but more of their products underperform than those that actually perform up to par for their asking prices.

By the way, in my suburban/urban area the actual number of people wearing such heavily marketed headphones is very few (at least those that I encountered). The overwhelming majority are still using stock earbuds and the $3 Walmart earbuds... :frowning2:

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #2,807 of 6,432

Quote:
I remember about 2 weeks ago 2 guys in my algerba class were talking about headphones because 1 of them had gotten a new pair of skullcandy hesh so i decided to walk over and talk headphones with them. Right when i was about to say hey the the guy was like "the top 3 best headphones in the world skullcandy beats and bose. I turned right back around and walked away.

If people say something like that, normally become very irritated.
I don't know....

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #2,808 of 6,432
I think this hobby/passion/life calling is something that isn't for everyone.. I have done no research on this, but what if hearing was something like vision? We're each born with varying degrees of sensitivity in sight.. (people need glasses, contacts, etc.)

Is sound the same way? I mean, besides the obvious hearing impaired people.. Do normal people have varying degrees of sensitivity to sound? Maybe some people really can't hear any difference, but 'feel' the bass which is why bass impresses them?

Anyway, just some more food for thought on a really long epic thread. Just finished reading it in its entirety..

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2,809 of 6,432
This, or beats. Seriously. Theres very few between. At campus those are the majoritys worn around. A few skullcandys. 

Quote:

By the way, in my suburban/urban area the actual number of people wearing such heavily marketed headphones is very few (at least those that I encountered). The overwhelming majority are still using stock earbuds and the $3 Walmart earbuds... :frowning2:

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #2,810 of 6,432

Quote:

skullcandy,bose and beats= overpriced rubbish ( besides for the aviators they are okay but overpriced)

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #2,811 of 6,432
Photo taken from Hong Kong AV show earlier this year - these words come right from Beats. This photo is not key-ed or otherwise modified in any way.

Nov 7, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #2,812 of 6,432

Quote:
Photo taken from Hong Kong AV show earlier this year - these words come right from Beats. This photo is not key-ed or otherwise modified in any way.

I believe that advertising slogan is for the Turbine series, not Beats by Dre. Did make me LOL though 
beerchug.gif
 Another quote :"The thrill of hearing tiny details you've never heard before. In songs you thought you knew inside out. With the sleek and rugged Beats™ by Dr. Dre™ over-ear headphones engineered by Monster, thrills rule."

Nov 7, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #2,815 of 6,432
Let my flatmate (female) listen to my rig. PC>FLAC>USB>Burson HA-160D>Woo Audio WA2>Beyerdynamic T1.

After listening for a few moments her main point was: There seems to be much more music in there than I usually hear, details I have never heard :wink:

She does to some extent know how much the gear is worth, never comments on that though.

Nov 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #2,816 of 6,432
Hey guys, just wanted to bring this up. I think when giving someone a headphone to try out and shock them or whatever. I think you have to give them time to take the sound in for SOME people. I know when I switch from headphone to headphone, unless the drop in quality or change in signature is vastly different, it takes a few listens for me to get used to it and to truly judge, I need to be in a controlled environment of sorts. Like I know if I'm not really listening closely, it doesn't really matter what headphone I use at my friends house. He doesn't have great selection but it isn't like they all don't have their own sound. I'm just not paying attention because my focus is elsewhere. Give some of the new guys you wanna shock a night with the headphone(if possible) to see if they notice stuff if they just couldn't hear anything initially or just weren't impressed.

Nov 9, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #2,817 of 6,432
And feed them with their favourite song.

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #2,818 of 6,432
I've only let my wife try on my headphones (I'm kind of a germaphobe) and while she was skeptical at first, her wide eyes told it all.  I suggested we both watch a movie once I get my another decent pair and she's all about it:)

Nov 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #2,819 of 6,432
When I got my DT880 Pro 250 from ups, my mom went"she doesn't understand why I just use any headphone, and said only DJs should be worrying about sound" I went >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back