Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 4, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #2,236 of 6,432

Quote:
How long was his demo?
biggrin.gif

he was never clear on that. i assumed he didn't demo much.

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #2,237 of 6,432
My dad has been listening to my headphones (modified Fostex T50RPs) as I mod them.
The funny thing is, his face expands every time he listens to them after I finish another mod. What I mean is, his smirk widens, causing his whole face to get bigger.
It may seem funny, but let me tell you... at times it gets tedious when I see him walk upstairs, because I know that he will proceed to head to my room just to listen to my headphones. He does this at random times during the day when he really wants to get into his music.
Lately, he said "these sound so life-like!" and I do agree; it puts his current setup to shame, even though he spent $300 for a nice portable Sennheiser headphone.
Me? I spent $74, and a few more for mod materials. Talk about cost efficiency. 
biggrin.gif

It seems now as if he wants to snatch my other stock pair from me and mod it himself. He jokes with me about it, but I can tell he's serious. Hahahaha.

Now, I do admit that these orthodynamic headphones beg for endless tweaks. If you don't already know about them, well, you should. 
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #2,239 of 6,432

Quote:
he then mentioned monster headphones he hasn't tried but from what he has heard they are good quality. i said they break a lot and he said well your paying for teh warranty. i should have told him the kind of warranty my headphones have. shure is substantially better then monster or bose. on the bright side he had klipsch image s4's.
cool.gif

So if I buy beats i'm actually overpaying early for all the replacment pairs i'll need during the short warranty? lol

Jun 4, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #2,240 of 6,432
Quote:
My dad has been listening to my headphones (modified Fostex T50RPs) as I mod them.
The funny thing is, his face expands every time he listens to them after I finish another mod. What I mean is, his smirk widens, causing his whole face to get bigger.
It may seem funny, but let me tell you... at times it gets tedious when I see him walk upstairs, because I know that he will proceed to head to my room just to listen to my headphones. He does this at random times during the day when he really wants to get into his music.
Lately, he said "these sound so life-like!" and I do agree; it puts his current setup to shame, even though he spent $300 for a nice portable Sennheiser headphone.
biggrin.gif

It seems now as if he wants to snatch my other stock pair from me and mod it himself. He jokes with me about it, but I can tell he's serious. Hahahaha.

Now, I do admit that these orthodynamic headphones beg for endless tweaks. If you don't already know about them, well, you should. 
wink.gif

Your so lucky, thats really cool. :D

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #2,241 of 6,432
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Tell him to buy the LCD-2 for himself, taht way you can be the one who goes to his room sampling his earphones.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2,242 of 6,432
i was sitting at an outside neighbourhood pool today listening to music while watching my little sister play when a guy walked up to me. he said "do you mind if i try out your headphones, i saw them at futureshop and i wanted to see if they are worth it" i gladly excepted and his response was these are great how much did you get them for" i looked at them and said "regularly they are $200 but i got them for $130. i said "either price is a steal". he told me he was a producer and needed some good studio headphones. he was talking about how he was going to buy the studio beats but had doubts. he told me my headphones sounded much better then the demo beats at futureshop. and he said he would snap them up for $200. i think i successfully lead someone in the right direction.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #2,243 of 6,432
I let my mother listen to one of Bach's cello Concerto's on my K701, she seemed to enjoy it more than I did. I felt jaded and cynical.

Jun 5, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #2,244 of 6,432

Quote:
i was sitting at an outside neighbourhood pool today listening to music while watching my little sister play when a guy walked up to me. he said "do you mind if i try out your headphones, i saw them at futureshop and i wanted to see if they are worth it" i gladly excepted and his response was these are great how much did you get them for" i looked at them and said "regularly they are $200 but i got them for $130. i said "either price is a steal". he told me he was a producer and needed some good studio headphones. he was talking about how he was going to buy the studio beats but had doubts. he told me my headphones sounded much better then the demo beats at futureshop. and he said he would snap them up for $200. i think i successfully lead someone in the right direction.

Just wondering, what cans did you have on you?

Jun 5, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #2,246 of 6,432
All of a week ago on the final days of school for me I asked to listen to a kid at my school's Monster Beats Studio, as I hadn't heard them for a long time and not since I got my Shure's. With a decent comparison I did, it seemed that the bass was looser and a bit muddier, which took a lot away from the mids and highs on the Beats. In the end, I concluded my headphones were more crisp in the upper frequencies, and the bass more accurate, but overall it didn't seem as horrible as everyone complains about them to be. Active noise cancelling was much better over mine, and the earpads seemed significantly softer. However, I got mine for $108 + shipping, and his were custom Colorware Beats, AKA: $500. So I think I got the better deal. :)

Jun 5, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #2,248 of 6,432
During Easter break a friend had came over from Perth to visit me and I showed him my hd202, successfully turning him into headphones. Recently saw his Fb saying he spent 200 on a pair of cans and they were... beats.

Sigh. Why didn't he ask me for advices.

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2,249 of 6,432
Hey, is the bass in headphones fake? Totally random, but my dad keeps bashing bass in headphones... but he *apparently* had subwoofers that were in a stack taller than him. I have yet to show him just how well my Shure's perform at their 5Hz min. frequency response with the proper EQ. Maybe he'll be less stubborn after his head gets boggled and still shaking after the experience. But really, how is the bass in headphones bad? Is it because you can't really "feel" it, which is mainly what the lower frequencies are about?

Jun 5, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2,250 of 6,432
Can't feel it? Hard bass in headphones will rattle your whole brain. D7000...LCD 2...

It's doesn't move your whole body, but I haven't heard speakers yet that have beaten the LCD-2 as far as enjoyable bass. I guess it's really person to person. More of a preference than one being better than the other, IMO.

Quote:
Hey, is the bass in headphones fake? Totally random, but my dad keeps bashing bass in headphones... but he *apparently* had subwoofers that were in a stack taller than him. I have yet to show him just how well my Shure's perform at their 5Hz min. frequency response with the proper EQ. Maybe he'll be less stubborn after his head gets boggled and still shaking after the experience. But really, how is the bass in headphones bad? Is it because you can't really "feel" it, which is mainly what the lower frequencies are about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back