Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2,221 of 6,432
*she. I have no idea what 300 w-whatever it is is. :frowning2:
I just guessed...

Jun 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #2,222 of 6,432
     Quote:
I actually had the hardest time hearing the difference between FLAC and 320 kbps CBR so I just went with the 320kbps. Recently with much better headphones I decided to go full lossless. The difference is in the midrange and bass impact.

Isn't there a very slight difference in the soundstage width and depth as well that is noticeable with transparent headphones? Out of my Omnia i910 + E5 I swear I could consistently hear a slightly smaller soundstage and lesser depth with my K271 and HD560 with 320kb mp3 vs the original FLAC version. Wouldn't this make sense though? Isn't it the ambient data in a recording that gets discarded as unimportant in mp3 conversion?

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #2,223 of 6,432
Depends on the specific encoder used - as it turns out, MP3 encoders don't have one standardized encoding algorithm.

(On the flipside, MP3 decoding is very detailed and well-defined in the MP3 standard.)

-- Griffinhart

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #2,224 of 6,432
When I got my SR80i Grados I was quite eager to give my dad a listen. Because he's a person who buys one digit price earbuds all the time because "Hey! You can hear the music right?" My response to this has always been that I want hear how the music is played not to hear that the music is playing. So I gave him my Grados and he listened to a few CDs while vigorously swapping them with 9$ Philips SHP1900. In the end he admitted that mine are better and that the Philips sound like a barrel was worn atop in his head. Though the verdict was more like- "Are they really ten times better huh? HUH?"

Though some time later he came to ask some advice for buying better IEMs for his cell phone.

Jun 3, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #2,225 of 6,432

Quote:
     Quote:

Isn't there a very slight difference in the soundstage width and depth as well that is noticeable with transparent headphones? Out of my Omnia i910 + E5 I swear I could consistently hear a slightly smaller soundstage and lesser depth with my K271 and HD560 with 320kb mp3 vs the original FLAC version. Wouldn't this make sense though? Isn't it the ambient data in a recording that gets discarded as unimportant in mp3 conversion?

Possibly. The things I immediately noticed with high end cans were the bass was punchier and midrange less garbled.

Jun 3, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #2,227 of 6,432
Well I just got my first pair of audiophile headphones. Well okay, they are only M50s, but it's still a step-up from senn201s!

The sound is blowing me away right now, especially with freesurround+dolby headphone in foobar :)

Jun 3, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #2,228 of 6,432
i spoke to a firend of mien who owns klipsch image s4's and i asked him what he thinks of monster and bose headphones. he said bose has good bass. i said they were overpriced and he said yes but the price is justified when you take into account the materials used to make it. i showed him my shure srh840 and he said it didn't have enough bass. he then went on to say with bose you are paying for build quality and mine looks cheaply built. i think he is nuts. he went on to say that there is different sets of headphones for different genre's of music and that bose was made for metal or electronic. he said if you were to use a flat frequency response pair most use for classical it would break the headphones. well my headphones aren't broken. he then mentioned monster headphones he hasn't tried but from what he has heard they are good quality. i said they break a lot and he said well your paying for teh warranty. i should have told him the kind of warranty my headphones have. shure is substantially better then monster or bose. on the bright side he had klipsch image s4's.
cool.gif

he mentioned the beats pros and said they are worth their price for the build quality alone.

Jun 3, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2,229 of 6,432

Quote:
i spoke to a firend of mien who owns klipsch image s4's and i asked him what he thinks of monster and bose headphones. he said bose has good bass. i said they were overpriced and he said yes but the price is justified when you take into account the materials used to make it. i showed him my shure srh840 and he said it didn't have enough bass. he then went on to say with bose you are paying for build quality and mine looks cheaply built. i think he is nuts. he went on to say that there is different sets of headphones for different genre's of music and that bose was made for metal or electronic. he said if you were to use a flat frequency response pair most use for classical it would break the headphones. well my headphones aren't broken. he then mentioned monster headphones he hasn't tried but from what he has heard they are good quality. i said they break a lot and he said well your paying for teh warranty. i should have told him the kind of warranty my headphones have. shure is substantially better then monster or bose. on the bright side he had klipsch image s4's.
cool.gif

he mentioned the beats pros and said they are worth their price for the build quality alone.

LOL

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #2,232 of 6,432
     Quote:
cool.gif

Among bose headphones I tried the QC15's at best buy; they were decent enough -perhaps even "musical"- but they had no instrument separation or soundstage what so ever. The image S4 is better in this regard. Which bose did he own? I'm confused... =/

Jun 4, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #2,233 of 6,432
My first high-end phones were the old Koss EP6a electrostatic, very good in their day and still pretty impressive on some material.  My lady friend of the day was a bit of a music lover having once been a ballerina.  Her reaction to them was " with this you don't need sex!"  Fortunately she did not have her own phones.

Jun 4, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #2,234 of 6,432

Quote:
     Quote:

Among bose headphones I tried the QC15's at best buy; they were decent enough -perhaps even "musical"- but they had no instrument separation or soundstage what so ever. The image S4 is better in this regard. Which bose did he own? I'm confused... =/

he didn't own bose he just tried them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back