Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jun 2, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #2,207 of 6,432
What are you looking to pair it with?

Also, did you explain the DAC section? That whole 'away from the PCs internal noise' thing?

Quote:
Well my dad says he'll only buy me a FiiO E7 if I can prove to him that it actually makes a (graphical) difference to my headphones *sigh*. Doesn't he know that true audiophiles pay for a $100 portable amp to increase their MP3 player's fashion statement?

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #2,208 of 6,432
My dad keeps going on and on about "low bit quality music," and "how bad digital sounds because theres a loss of quality yadda yadda yadda." I know theres stuff out there like I believe the E11 which support higher bit music, but I don't even have the resources to go above my standard 256/320kbps sampling MP3 rate :frowning2:

I'm pairing with the Shure 750's, which from my research sounds like it only slightly benefits, but in the future I want the E7 + E9 combo so I can get a ~$300 headphone (AKG701, BeyerDT880, something I haven't considered yet)

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #2,209 of 6,432
Well, he's right to an extent about bad quality, but 320 kpbs is fine for most people. Blow his mind when you tell him that some digital music is available in better than CD quality (see: HD Tracks). You have to have the right DAC to USE it to full potential, but it can be better. 

That being said, yeah, with the 750 it may be a hard sell if he doesn't take the 'superior DAC' argument.
Quote:
My dad keeps going on and on about "low bit quality music," and "how bad digital sounds because theres a loss of quality yadda yadda yadda." I know theres stuff out there like I believe the E11 which support higher bit music, but I don't even have the resources to go above my standard 256/320kbps sampling MP3 rate :frowning2:

I'm pairing with the Shure 750's, which from my research sounds like it only slightly benefits, but in the future I want the E7 + E9 combo so I can get a ~$300 headphone (AKG701, BeyerDT880, something I haven't considered yet)

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2,210 of 6,432
I don't think he'd buy it too much, knowing I wouldn't go out of my way for "HD Audio." But 320kbps is CD quality, correct?

Anyways, he always claimed he was never a music guy, but apparently owned a $10,000 Apple tube amp. Still buying it?
deadhorse.gif

He refuses to allow me to have his 90's Denon AM/FM Stereo Receiver... because its powering the house's speaker system at the moment. *sigh* Also I notice that I can't turn that thing past #3 out of 100 because of how dang loud it is. And at that volume it will only put noise in one speaker. *second sigh* I have a little thread going to deal with this, titled something like "Engineer challenge" in the Sound Science section, if you could try and help me out further.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2,211 of 6,432
320 is not CD quality. You need a lossless format for that. Many people have a hard time hearing the difference between 320 and Lossless, but there is in fact a difference.

Well, that sounds like a good reason that you can't have it...lol

Also, that's probably because it's pumping all (I'm guessing ~300 wpc) into your headphones, which don't need that much power.

EDIT: Lossless being FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc.
Quote:
I don't think he'd buy it too much, knowing I wouldn't go out of my way for "HD Audio." But 320kbps is CD quality, correct?

Anyways, he always claimed he was never a music guy, but apparently owned a $10,000 Apple tube amp. Still buying it?
deadhorse.gif

He refuses to allow me to have his 90's Denon AM/FM Stereo Receiver... because its powering the house's speaker system at the moment. *sigh* Also I notice that I can't turn that thing past #3 out of 100 because of how dang loud it is. And at that volume it will only put noise in one speaker. *second sigh* I have a little thread going to deal with this, titled something like "Engineer challenge" in the Sound Science section, if you could try and help me out further.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #2,212 of 6,432
Ok, that's going to be helpful then. :D Not like I have much of a clue about what I'm reading.

P.S. He never owned a quality pair of headphones. He said that they lacked "good bass reproduction." I have the Shure 750dj's, bassy headphones. Now I'm a little offended that he probably doesn't believe their frequency response is from 5Hz-30kHz. Which, P.S. I just now took a hearing test (for fun), and I can't hear above 17kHz anyways. That seems really bad to me.
triportsad.gif

EDIT:

Quote:
(I'm guessing ~300 wpc)

Lol, well I'm surprised it didn't blow my headphones up just plugging them in. Then again, my fancy headphones are designed for those "high power DJ mixers," so I guess it could handle anything.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #2,213 of 6,432

Quote:
320 is not CD quality. You need a lossless format for that. Many people have a hard time hearing the difference between 320 and Lossless, but there is in fact a difference.

Well, that sounds like a good reason that you can't have it...lol

Also, that's probably because it's pumping all (I'm guessing ~300 wpc) into your headphones, which don't need that much power.

EDIT: Lossless being FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc.

I actually had the hardest time hearing the difference between FLAC and 320 kbps CBR so I just went with the 320kbps. Recently with much better headphones I decided to go full lossless. The difference is in the midrange and bass impact.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2,214 of 6,432
They should be fine as long as you don't do something stupid like plug them in without making sure it's zeroed out first. 

Also...He needs LCD-2s. Talk about bass...Holy crap. Beautiful bass reproduction.

Quote:
Ok, that's going to be helpful then. :D Not like I have much of a clue about what I'm reading.

P.S. He never owned a quality pair of headphones. He said that they lacked "good bass reproduction." I have the Shure 750dj's, bassy headphones. Now I'm a little offended that he probably doesn't believe their frequency response is from 5Hz-30kHz. Which, P.S. I just now took a hearing test (for fun), and I can't hear above 17kHz anyways. That seems really bad to me.
triportsad.gif

Lol, well I'm surprised it didn't blow my headphones up just plugging them in. Then again, my fancy headphones are designed for those "high power DJ mixers," so I guess it could handle anything.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,215 of 6,432
Well, my headphones aren't really super high-end, so I doubt I'd notice a huge difference (~$150 range). Also they're colored, and not so much analytical or revealing I'd think.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #2,216 of 6,432
Even if you can't necessarily hear it...I like having stuff in a lossless format for archival purposes. 

Quote:
I actually had the hardest time hearing the difference between FLAC and 320 kbps CBR so I just went with the 320kbps. Recently with much better headphones I decided to go full lossless. The difference is in the midrange and bass impact.

Jun 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,217 of 6,432

Quote:
They should be fine as long as you don't do something stupid like plug them in without making sure it's zeroed out first. 

Also...He needs LCD-2s. Talk about bass...Holy crap. Beautiful bass reproduction.

Hah, yeah unless I'm comfortable with an audio device I always put it at the lowest notch. I've had my ears blasted a few times, makes me jump practically 3 feet in the air. What's even more hilarious is that sometimes its when a fellow student of mine was just listening to it on his/her MP3 and simply puts in on play again. As in, they had been listening at that follow just a second ago.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2,218 of 6,432

Quote:

triportsad.gif

EDIT:

WHOA WHOA WHOA, slow down now. You were not getting 300 W/channel into your headphones so long as you were using the headphone out. Let's just get that misconception out of your head.

Now, your father is mostly likely dissing the bass reproduction of headphones because yes, they don't produce accurate bass in the sense that speakers do. The bass in a speakers is a physical experience, resonating in your body. Obviously, that is impossible with headphones, and to make up for that that lack of bass perception, all headphones have that bump in the bass frequencies that you can see in freq. response graphs. Long story short, yes, the bass is not real.

Also, on the subject of bitrates, I always use my CDP to listen critically, but I dl and rip in 320kb/s or 256kb/s to my computer to manage space. The difference is extremely subtle.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,219 of 6,432
Yeah. I was kind of joking 
wink.gif

Quote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA, slow down now. You were not getting 300 W/channel into your headphones so long as you were using the headphone out. Let's just get that misconception out of your head.

Now, your father is mostly likely dissing the bass reproduction of headphones because yes, they don't produce accurate bass in the sense that speakers do. The bass in a speakers is a physical experience, resonating in your body. Obviously, that is impossible with headphones, and to make up for that that lack of bass perception, all headphones have that bump in the bass frequencies that you can see in freq. response graphs. Long story short, yes, the bass is not real.

Also, on the subject of bitrates, I always use my CDP to listen critically, but I dl and rip in 320kb/s or 256kb/s to my computer to manage space. The difference is extremely subtle.

Jun 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #2,220 of 6,432

Users who are viewing this thread

Back