Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 27, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,801 of 6,432
Got lots of compliments on my modded Grado SR325 :)

People either love or hate my SM3 but my Sony MDR-EX800ST are well liked from my audiophile friend and non-audiophiles mostly because of their fairly neutral presentation.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #1,802 of 6,432
I let my dad listen to my SM3 one time. After about 30 seconds, he took them out and said, "They're not very bassy...."

I was about to poke my eyes out.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #1,803 of 6,432
Maybe he wan't getting a good seal?  Benefit of the doubt and all...

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #1,804 of 6,432
Just let 4 friends try out the SM3 over at work.

3 of them want it now pretty much, and the last one likes it but he prefers more bass out of it.

We're probably gonna all go down to either Jaben or Stereo Electronics down here in Singapore to get them to try out a different assortment of earphones (and this is when helping them push their Lenovo lappies with the HP Beats booth right beside ours during the School PC Fair) =)

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #1,805 of 6,432
Brother came in when I was listening to my LCD-2.  "Dude, what are...those?  Are they like headphones, or did you have brain surgery?"  Let him listen to them..."Yeah, I mean I guess they sound alright, they're ok.  But you look like a music producer or something with them on."

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #1,806 of 6,432
First time I got my IE8's, my best friend asked me about them. But rather than say anything, I asked him to go to his favorite track on his MP3 player and try them. No surprise, he immediately had the "DAMN GURL!" expression. After the song, he pulled them out, and said "I don't see why anyone would pay so much for headphones... so where can I get them?"
etysmile.gif

That same week, he showed up with brand new SE535's. And that was the beginning of our hi-fi friendship!
beerchug.gif

Apr 30, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,807 of 6,432
i showed my shure srh840 headphones to some friends today, there first response
man these sound like i'm there, i can hear where everything is coming from
and
it sounds like the music is coming from in front of me.
i told them the price and they looked shocked that i would pay that much.

there was also a person at a gaming place who wanted to try my headphones, but i didn't know him so i didn't let him try them. i tend to be obsessive over who i let try my cans.

May 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,808 of 6,432
Let a friend try out the DT990 600Ω hooked up to Little Dot amp.  

First reaction from a song that didn't have deep bass at all:

"there's not enough bass."

I listen to it:

"well yeah, this song doesn't have bass to begin with."

he responds:

"there's plenty of bass in it from my car"

I comment:

"your car's going to create bass no matter what's in the song because you set it like that"

He decides to pull up a song he knows has 'good' bass, and says:

"ah, there's the bass!"

He then said skullcandy and beats by dre would make the song have good bass regardless.  I comment by saying that it's a bad quality and not staying true to the song.  He then proceeds to go off on a rant about why skullcandy and beats are the best selling headphones on the market.

Moral of the story, some people can't look past their boomy one-note bass.

May 1, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #1,809 of 6,432
I just let my mom try out my new ATH-ESW9 yesterday and played Kenny G on it. After about 15 secs into the song she took them out and stared at them in awe. Saying that theyre really good and small in size. Yay.

May 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #1,810 of 6,432
I just let my mom try out my new ATH-ESW9 yesterday and played Kenny G on it. After about 15 secs into the song she took them out and stared at them in awe. Saying that theyre really good and small in size. Yay.

My mother actually was around a few days ago and asked me to play some Kenny G on my D7000. I had to kick her out of my chair after about 20 minutes of him, and James Taylor.

May 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM Post #1,811 of 6,432
My good friends here always tease me about my hobby. They always ask me how much I spend and stuff, so I just lie about it since I don't want them to know I've spent a lot of money on my setup. Other than that, I really keep it down low. Even my parents don't know I spend money on audio stuff, lol. Good thing I control my financing, or else, I wouldn't be here.

May 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #1,812 of 6,432
My good friends here always tease me about my hobby. They always ask me how much I spend and stuff, so I just lie about it since I don't want them to know I've spent a lot of money on my setup. Other than that, I really keep it down low. Even my parents don't know I spend money on audio stuff, lol. Good thing I control my financing, or else, I wouldn't be here.

Screw that. Don't be ashamed. Inflate your prices when they ask.

'lololol How much were those?' "5 grand." 'wat'

May 1, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #1,813 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Screw that. Don't be ashamed. Inflate your prices when they ask.

'lololol How much were those?' "5 grand." 'wat'

This. They make fun of you for spending money on audio? Show them just how much money you can afford to spend on audio. (Or lie; it's basically the same thing, minus the cost.)

At some point, the ridiculousness of blowing 5 or 10 or however many thousands of dollars will just melt their faces (or will overflow and they'll have infinite respect for you. Or something).

-- Griffinhart

May 1, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #1,814 of 6,432
A vintage vacuum tube is about "$5" since they're old. Hahahaha, even though I've spent $100 on a single tube. I've probably spent $250 total on tubes probably...

May 1, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,815 of 6,432
A vintage vacuum tube is about "$5" since they're old. Hahahaha, even though I've spent $100 on a single tube. I've probably spent $250 total on tubes probably...

I'm consideing a WA 6 with full tube upgrades soon. I've got the tube bug since I put my first tubes in the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back