Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Apr 14, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #1,756 of 6,432

Quote:
That's exactly the kind of elitist attitude I think this thread generates. Sound is SUBJECTIVE. going to best buy to have and 20 second demo of Monster beats and then concluding they are crap is NOT an audition. I would be completely unsurprised if someone thought Beats/bose had better sound compared to SRH-840. They do have a very likable sound signature (warm, pleasant, artificial) that sounds good to a lot of people. Having 150 dollar headphones does not give you bragging rights. It just means you have 150 dollar headphones. And I thought you disliked SRH-840s. 

look if you would have finished reading my post then you could have come to a better conclusion. i never said i bragged about how mine were better i mentioned right in my post "you be the judge" as i let them listen to my headphones and see what their opinion is. and you are partially correct on the disliking of my shures but i still prefer them to beats.

Apr 14, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #1,757 of 6,432
I think the point of this thread has everything to do with hearing about a non-audiophile's reaction to quality audio gear and nothing to do with an e-peen peep show. There are times when this will uncover hints of arrogance on behalf of the poster, but for the most part it is to share stories of people being exposed to "the light," so to speak. When someone knows you spend a lot of time, money and effort on audio equipment, it is nice to see their reaction and hear their thoughts when they get a small glimpse of the buzz. It seems all this pizzazz is ongoing because the moderation in this forum is very respectful and trusting of it's members and that is why you see random people stepping up to try and contain to issue. Please keep it clean folks! This is a good thread.
beerchug.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,759 of 6,432
I think the point of this thread has everything to do with hearing about a non-audiophile's reaction to quality audio gear and nothing to do with an e-peen peep show. There are times when this will uncover hints of arrogance on behalf of the poster, but for the most part it is to share stories of people being exposed to "the light," so to speak. When someone knows you spend a lot of time, money and effort on audio equipment, it is nice to see their reaction and hear their thoughts when they get a small glimpse of the buzz. It seems all this pizzazz is ongoing because the moderation in this forum is very respectful and trusting of it's members and that is why you see random people stepping up to try and contain to issue. Please keep it clean folks! This is a good thread.
beerchug.gif

Agreed... I think we all need to step back a bit and calm down a bit...
@ KuKuBuKu: Though I agree that the bragging may have been getting a little out of hand, I also think that your response was a little bit too harsh, and a little bit condescending. The way you talk about "$100-some dollar headphones" seems to imply that maybe your headphones are actually worth bragging about? Anyway, if others are genuinely interested in headphones, I don't think it's out of line to brag about them a little to others. All for the good of Head-Fi, right?

@ bcasey25raptor: On the other hand, I don't think you should be going up to every person you see wearing Beats/Bose and try to get them to try yours on to prove a point. Also, though I haven't heard them, I'm not so sure that SRH840's sound is that much better than Beats or Bose, which, as has been stated before, sound good, but are overpriced

Oh, and I agree that that computer interlude was really annoying

And now on-topic: I let a friend try out my M50's (he asked), and he was literally like "THESE ARE AMAZING!" probably because of the bass... On the other hand, another friend who has Grados was not impressed...

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #1,760 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
beerchug.gif

@ KuKuBuKu: Though I agree that the bragging may have been getting a little out of hand, I also think that your response was a little bit too harsh, and a little bit condescending. The way you talk about "$100-some dollar headphones" seems to imply that maybe your headphones are actually worth bragging about? Anyway, if others are genuinely interested in headphones, I don't think it's out of line to brag about them a little to others. All for the good of Head-Fi, right?

@ bcasey25raptor: On the other hand, I don't think you should be going up to every person you see wearing Beats/Bose and try to get them to try yours on to prove a point. Also, though I haven't heard them, I'm not so sure that SRH840's sound is that much better than Beats or Bose, which, as has been stated before, sound good, but are overpriced

Oh, and I agree that that computer interlude was really annoying

And now on-topic: I let a friend try out my M50's (he asked), and he was literally like "THESE ARE AMAZING!" probably because of the bass... On the other hand, another friend who has Grados was not impressed...

your saying the shure srh840 isn't better then the beats? then why are they so over hyped (the shure srh840 that is).

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,761 of 6,432
your saying the shure srh840 isn't better then the beats? then why are they so over hyped (the shure srh840 that is).

I meant that I doubt that the SRH840's are waaaaaaayyyy better than the beats or bose, not that they're worse. And "over hyped" would seem to imply that the Shures aren't as good as people make them out to be... Bose and Beats don't suck that much, but they're overpriced and overmarketed as "the best."

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #1,762 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

I meant that I doubt that the SRH840's are waaaaaaayyyy better than the beats or bose, not that they're worse. And "over hyped" would seem to imply that the Shures aren't as good as people make them out to be... Bose and Beats don't suck that much, but they're overpriced and overmarketed as "the best."

i rather liked the beats pros but i absolutely hated the beats studios. i did some comparisons between them at best buy and in my opinion the beats pros were better then my shure srh 840 but for a different use. though they were most certainly overpriced.

ps i do think the shure srh840 is over hyped. after following the reviews on here i feel that the shure srh is better then the beats and bose but they are still much worse then i would think from what i read. but i got them for $129.99 so i will not complain as they are good for now. but personally i am looking into some ultrasone because i hear they are excellent for rock and metal. (i would get grado but grado is overpriced in canada)

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,763 of 6,432
Quote:

That was for emphasis. It would be just as pretentious to boast about 1000 dollar headphones, but it seems most them don't really bother to impress others. I think that we should just enjoy our equipment and music rather than go around and show how holy and divine our headphones are. I mean, if someone is actually interested in my gear, I'll happily show him/her, inform them about Head-fi, but I don't seek attention to myself, or at least try as best as I can not to. And I'm not really angry or anything, just annoyed.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,764 of 6,432
i rather liked the beats pros but i absolutely hated the beats studios. i did some comparisons between them at best buy and in my opinion the beats pros were better then my shure srh 840 but for a different use. though they were most certainly overpriced.

ps i do think the shure srh840 is over hyped. after following the reviews on here i feel that the shure srh is better then the beats and bose but they are still much worse then i would think from what i read. but i got them for $129.99 so i will not complain as they are good for now. but personally i am looking into some ultrasone because i hear they are excellent for rock and metal. (i would get grado but grado is overpriced in canada)

Err... okay then

That was for emphasis. It would be just as pretentious to boast about 1000 dollar headphones, but it seems most them don't really bother to impress others. I think that we should just enjoy our equipment and music rather than go around and show how holy and divine our headphones are. I mean, if someone is actually interested in my gear, I'll happily show him/her, inform them about Head-fi, but I don't seek attention to myself, or at least try as best as I can not to. And I'm not really angry or anything, just annoyed.

Fair enough, I see your point. I sort of try to stick to that, too, but sometimes I can't resist putting in a word or two when someone starts bragging about their beats or something... :rolleyes:

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #1,765 of 6,432
I use my headphone setup at work. At home I can listen to music or watch movies in the theatre (in the basement) where I dont bother anybody. When Im designing at work, and dont want to be annoyed/bothered/distracted I just put my headphones on. I work with a bunch of electrical engineers, and by in large they are, shall we say, frugal, when it comes to any kind of electrical device, and they all think $60 is WAY to much for a set of headphones.

So I set up my new Woo WA22 at my workstation, with a set of balanced Beyer T1's, an Ayon CD-1 player and Acoustic Zen silver reference II XLR interconnects. Every one of them felt the need to look each piece up on the internet (I think mostly to see the cost, though a couple did read some reviews). Then some of them tried to 'educate' me that it was a complete and total waste of money. And then the fun part. I listened to their headphones hooked up to their PC's. None of which sounded all that good, and a couple that sounded downright crappy. And then I let each of them use my complete setup for a day, at their desk. Playing their music (CD's). And it would seem that in the end, I was the one who provided the 'education'. Nobody brings the subject up anymore.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,767 of 6,432
I think that there is actually less arrogance going around than it may seem. A lot of the 'bragging' stories are probably talkers talking a big game.

Me personally...the only time that I ever go after someone about headphones is if they call me out on it. I've had a few people ask to hear mine, and they've loved what they heard. I've also has a few people insult my headphones, or make fun of my portable rig...that's when I get snappy.

I will admit that I make those stories sound more frequent and dramatic than they actually are, and I think that's why more people seem arrogant around here. They talk the talk buy don't walk to walk (myself included). Most audiophiles I've met are pretty humble about it, and are really nice people IRL...but I've seen some of their posts around, and they sound like snobs a lot of the time.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:52 AM Post #1,768 of 6,432
I stay pretty humble in the face of skullcandy and beats fans, I let them listen to my rig, and let the rig speak for itself. If you insult their cans they will just get defensive and shut down.

Apr 15, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #1,769 of 6,432
I stay pretty humble in the face of skullcandy and beats fans, I let them listen to my rig, and let the rig speak for itself. If you insult their cans they will just get defensive and shut down.

Yeah. I used to start my defense by insulting theirs, and it lead to never getting straight answers from them about what they thought of your rig. I just kind of let them listen now.

Apr 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #1,770 of 6,432
I find it to be about a 50-50 mix between positive and negative reactions. I am pretty new to the scene and have a modest set up at best, (AKG k702 <- Fiio E7/9 combo) no where near the incredible rigs some of the folks on here have (one day maybe, i can dream at least ^_^) so that might have something to do with it. But a fair few people claim to prefer their low cost Sen buds over this sent up, for the record i personaly love the AKGs. I assume it has to do with tonal preferences, what they are used to (Sen and AKG sound VERY different) and what they see as important in music.
I also find most non audiophiles are as happy as a pig in mud if you give them a fist full of warm tinted bass, while detail seems to be less noticeable to them. Especially true for my metal head friends >_> That and the K702s seem to be very divisive headphones judging from this forum.

Still about half of people really appreciate the difference. Had a guy call up the day after trying them out for the first time to ask if he could come over with some of his CD collection to listen, he spent pretty much the whole day here and now he has the same set up as me ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back