Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Mar 5, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #1,456 of 6,432

This made me rage a bit.
Quote:
Quote:
I am Dutch, let me help you out.

"Jimmy Iovine, the owner of the almighty Interscope Record label and living legend and sound perfectionist Dr. Dre were annoyed by the fact that all the musical efforts by the producers and artists in the studio just were not audible by the use of inferior headphones and ear buds. That while many people do pay for high quality downloads and invest in high quality MP3/iPod electronics. People do not watch High Definition on a black and white television but when in comes to music they accept poor quality. The problem lies not in the source but the headphone passing the audio signal to the head!"

You should get mad but even Bill Hicks found a solution. He asked if the marketing people who liked to create 'unnecessary' markets would please commit suicide. Just enjoy the music, we share this hobby for a reason and that is the music itself.

P.S. Ynoskire, was a bit faster.

Mar 5, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #1,457 of 6,432
If that was actually their concern I think a pimped out customized OEM from Ultrasone would have done the trick.  Or at least they could of had the same people who worked on the Turbines and MDs design the Beats if they wanted to do it in-house.

Instead, all signs point to cashing in on gullibility with a marketing blitz and celebrity endorsement.  I mean seriously, "noise canceling" and "studio" in the same sentence?  "Dr. Dre wants you to hear the music the way it sounds in his studio"!??  That's a piss poor studio...

Mar 5, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,458 of 6,432

Quote:
If that was actually their concern I think a pimped out customized OEM from Ultrasone would have done the trick.  Or at least they could of had the same people who worked on the Turbines and MDs design the Beats if they wanted to do it in-house.

Instead, all signs point to cashing in on gullibility with a marketing blitz and celebrity endorsement.  I mean seriously, "noise canceling" and "studio" in the same sentence?  "Dr. Dre wants you to hear the music the way it sounds in his studio"!??  That's a piss poor studio...

he means windowless van.

Mar 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #1,460 of 6,432

Quote:

blink.gif
.............wow.

Mar 5, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,461 of 6,432
no, it's all flashy and stuff, has Dr.Dre Beats plasterd allover it.

Mar 5, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #1,463 of 6,432
From what I've noticed:

1. Headphones with a lot of bass are considered great headphones. No matter how bad they actually are. (Bose, Beats, etc)
2. American spending system is kind of weird. We're willing to throw money away but when it comes down to things people actually use, there is such a lack of understanding and care. For example, so many people spend their times around computers, music, movies, etc, but they don't understand any of it. This kind of lack of knowledge is why places like Best Buy can charge 300 bucks for removing a virus, or Beats being able to sell as well as they do. We are a consumer culture, but also an ignorant one. 
3. Its true that headphones are pretty much overpriced. Not that the high end headphone business nessecarily makes huge money, but for the average consumer, once they hit a certain price point, they start losing a lot of money to get improvements. Its the same for us here, but for them they could care less. They want something stylish that their friends will go WOW too and it has to have bass.... thats it. However, I do think that people who care about their music and quality of sound should be willing to at least do some research. The only way to expand the Head-Fi market is more knowledgable consumers. 

Anyways. just putting a thought out there :p 

Yup!

Have you seen the Geek Squad ads lately? They literally charge $99 to dust your fans and run msconfig.exe. It's quite sad. But people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The problem is, as you said, WE LOVE OUR NEW STUFF. New TVs, New iPods, New computers. BUT, we have no idea how they work, and if they break (or we use them improperly), we of course will have no idea how to fix them and either throw them out, or pay $5,000,000 to get them fixed.

Maybe some of you like Apple computers....I don't. As a "well educated consumer", you should know that they are way overpriced and that you are paying for an Apple logo on the product. But our society somehow associates more money to better quality, or just better! If they charged $500 for Beats by DRE, people would probably just assume they are the best things in the world and still buy them. 99% of our population has no idea what good headphones actually sound like, so when they hear a pair of Beats, it's completely revolutionary!

I guess that's why are economy (usually) works.

Mar 6, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #1,465 of 6,432
I do wonder how 'well educated' a consumer you are. For your information, most pros who use Apple computers actually bought them because the system will cost them less than a PC equivalent. The Coen brothers edited most of their movies with Final Cut Pro on an Apple Mac, that includes an Oscar Best Movie win. To be able to do that on a PC, just the software alone would cost more than the whole Mac system with Final Cut Pro. As with Pro Tools on a PC, a Mac system running Logic Pro cost less than a few RTAS plug-ins.

Quote:
Yup!

Have you seen the Geek Squad ads lately? They literally charge $99 to dust your fans and run msconfig.exe. It's quite sad. But people think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The problem is, as you said, WE LOVE OUR NEW STUFF. New TVs, New iPods, New computers. BUT, we have no idea how they work, and if they break (or we use them improperly), we of course will have no idea how to fix them and either throw them out, or pay $5,000,000 to get them fixed.

Maybe some of you like Apple computers....I don't. As a "well educated consumer", you should know that they are way overpriced and that you are paying for an Apple logo on the product. But our society somehow associates more money to better quality, or just better! If they charged $500 for Beats by DRE, people would probably just assume they are the best things in the world and still buy them. 99% of our population has no idea what good headphones actually sound like, so when they hear a pair of Beats, it's completely revolutionary!

I guess that's why are economy (usually) works.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #1,467 of 6,432
Yea we dont need this thread getting shut down because of that. I had a friend which got some HD280pro sens, his first real headphones. He was shocked because he didnt know what he was missing. before He was using some bose I think.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #1,469 of 6,432

Quote:
Alright alright lets not turn this into an apple vs pc fight. Let's stay on topic >_>

X2

I think there are alot of engineers on here because the types of ppl who want to be engineers want to optimize everything, I remember getting into a philosophical dilemma over the fact that my skullcandy inkd earbuds had different types of detail than my laptop speakers. I was trying to make music (Reason3) and I could not hear "all" (or even much) of the detail. I felt like I was only touching the surface of what was actually in the music. It was a while before I was introduced to audiophilia, but that was my "eureka" moment.

One of the things that draws me in deeper is learning about how analog signals are turned into the vibration of air, 

edit: unfortunately I have both the upgrade and the mod bug, I really need to be saving this money, I will need it later. jeeez.
The unfortunate thing about the fostexs is that even though they are so cheap, you have to have a $200 amp in order to drive them properly. hence my recent purchase of the udac2 being returned and a purchase of the Audio-gd nfb 12 put in.

Mar 6, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #1,470 of 6,432
I was wearing my HD-600's at church today and some kid asked me "dude, are those dr. Dre's?"

It was a quick walking by question so I just said no. I wanted to shed some light, oh well. Probably would have been futile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back