Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 23, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #946 of 6,432

Quote:
trust me when you get Tinnitus in one or both your ears then you will know when you you volume was too loud. thats how I got it in my right ear.But I got it from a game when I set the sound fx volume loud and didnt notice it til afterwards.

i havn't gotten tinnitus from listening to over ear headphones at 100% but i get it easily with ear buds.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #947 of 6,432

For me, the loudest I will ever go on my iPod Touch is 50% volume. 50% is, to my ears, bordering on uncomfortably loud. Also, with my Westones, I rarely go louder than 2 or 3 "clicks" above being muted, but even with my M50 I leave it pretty low. I dunno about your laptop, but for the iPod I'd consider 75% to be extremely loud, unless the Classic is weaker than the Touch

My advice to you is this: every time you go to listen, turn your volume down by a tiny bit, and eventually you'll be listening at safer levels, and it'll be much easier to get used to than going straight from high to low. Hearing is a terrible thing to waste

Is that 2 or 3 clicks with sound check on or off? I usually have sound check on and need to go to 4 or 5 in order to hear the mids and bass become more alive on my W3s. (This is without using an external amp)

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #948 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
trust me when you get Tinnitus in one or both your ears then you will know when you you volume was too loud. thats how I got it in my right ear.But I got it from a game when I set the sound fx volume loud and didnt notice it til afterwards.

i havn't gotten tinnitus from listening to over ear headphones at 100% but i get it easily with ear buds.

Why the heck would you turn it up to 100% anyways? You'll end up with severe hearing loss by 20. My friend does that and he's on his way to it.

Basically, if you have to ask if you're listening too loudly, you're probably listening too loudly.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #949 of 6,432

Quote:
what about 75% on an ipod classic or laptop. i have it at 75% on my laptop right now.

Holy crap, dude. I have the same headphones, and on my iPod Touch, my volume rarely passes the 25% mark (no EQ and unamped). On my macbook, the volume rarely goes past three notches (which is less than 25%). More than 3 notches with sound from a good source, and it gets kind of uncomfortable. I'm amazed that you can bear to listen at those volumes.

More on-topic, my husband can't tell the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps (or more). I tried with the Klipsch S4's, Shure SRH750DJs, and the Senn HD428 to no avail. I tried a few different songs, too, all to no avail. 
frown.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #950 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why the heck would you turn it up to 100% anyways? You'll end up with severe hearing loss by 20. My friend does that and he's on his way to it.

Basically, if you have to ask if you're listening too loudly, you're probably listening too loudly.

Tho I lucky mine is just minor but yea he could be on his way to major Tinnitus that is roaring loud. enough to drive him crazy.

Quote:
Inquartata said:

Quote:

what about 75% on an ipod classic or laptop. i have it at 75% on my laptop right now.

Holy crap, dude. I have the same headphones, and on my iPod Touch, my volume rarely passes the 25% mark (no EQ and unamped). On my macbook, the volume rarely goes past three notches (which is less than 25%). More than 3 notches with sound from a good source, and it gets kind of uncomfortable. I'm amazed that you can bear to listen at those volumes.

More on-topic, my husband can't tell the difference between 128kbps and 320kbps (or more). I tried with the Klipsch S4's, Shure SRH750DJs, and the Senn HD428 to no avail. I tried a few different songs, too, all to no avail. 
frown.gif

Try encoding it into Flacs from the CD or 320kbp mp3s. or Try a different type of music like classical or something.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #951 of 6,432

Quote:

Quote:

frown.gif

well my computer and ipod isnt a very good source. and like i said earlier i will take this into consideration but i have no idea were to start. i read somewhere that certain decibal levels are ok for certain periods of time. but how do i know how much decibals i am listening at.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #952 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

frown.gif

well my computer and ipod isnt a very good source. and like i said earlier i will take this into consideration but i have no idea were to start. i read somewhere that certain decibal levels are ok for certain periods of time. but how do i know how much decibals i am listening at.

and i am already quite sure i have hearing loss but i dont know to what extent. i can still hear fine and understand just fine. but i fine below 50% on my ipod to be a little less entertaining then higher then 50%. what i am trying to say is i prefer 50% or higher.

Jan 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #953 of 6,432
For more reference, the M50's specs:
Sensitivity: 99dB/mW
Impedance: 38 ohms @ 1kHz

Higher impedance and lower sensitivity and I still consider 50% loud, I would really turn it down if I were you

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #955 of 6,432
I'm listening to my Pro 2500s at 8% right now, I consider 25% too loud for me.

Jan 23, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #956 of 6,432
I totally understand that this is a thread about people who have heard the truth and have taken the red pill, I myself was one of the misguided years ago.  I originally though Logitech's were the best PC speakers -- Klipsch's were too expensive -- and Bose were the best in Home Theatre.  I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's with a computer I built in 2005. When I finally heard them they sounded pristine, but not enough to give up my Logitech's.  They sat in a cupboard for 5 years when I replaced my Bose Acoustimass 5.1 set because I hated how the sub bass sounded.  I purchased an Onkyo HTIB then wanted to hear higher quality audio almost overnight.  It might of been the talk about DTS-HD MA, and Uncompressed LPCM, with the rise of Blu-Ray, who knows.  

I dug my HD-555's out of the cupboard and found that I absolutely loved the soundstage, I wasn't a fan of the bass, but they still sounded clear.  I went to Overclock.net which led me to head-fi.org, and someone said, "Welcome to Head-Fi.org, hide your wallet."  I now have an Auzentech Forte sound card, Beyerdynamic DT-990/600's, LD MK III w/ M8100's and 6H30Pi Gold Pin's and looking to get an external DAC next week.  Possibly the LD DAC_1.  Not broke yet, but getting there. :p

Anyways, I love these forums.  They've taught me alot so far, and one day I hope to hear the HD-800's, T1's or anything by Stax.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just happy to be here. :)

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #957 of 6,432

Quote:
I totally understand that this is a thread about people who have heard the truth and have taken the red pill, I myself was one of the misguided years ago.  I originally though Logitech's were the best PC speakers -- Klipsch's were too expensive -- and Bose were the best in Home Theatre.  I purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-555's with a computer I built in 2005. When I finally heard them they sounded pristine, but not enough to give up my Logitech's.  They sat in a cupboard for 5 years when I replaced my Bose Acoustimass 5.1 set because I hated how the sub bass sounded.  I purchased an Onkyo HTIB then wanted to hear higher quality audio almost overnight.  It might of been the talk about DTS-HD MA, and Uncompressed LPCM, with the rise of Blu-Ray, who knows.  

I dug my HD-555's out of the cupboard and found that I absolutely loved the soundstage, I wasn't a fan of the bass, but they still sounded clear.  I went to Overclock.net which led me to head-fi.org, and someone said, "Welcome to Head-Fi.org, hide your wallet."  I now have an Auzentech Forte sound card, Beyerdynamic DT-990/600's, LD MK III w/ M8100's and 6H30Pi Gold Pin's and looking to get an external DAC next week.  Possibly the LD DAC_1.  Not broke yet, but getting there. :p

Anyways, I love these forums.  They've taught me alot so far, and one day I hope to hear the HD-800's, T1's or anything by Stax.

Sorry for the long post. I'm just happy to be here. :)

whats wrong with logitech speakers. i thought they were really good for the price. im listening to some logitech speakers right now.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #958 of 6,432

Quote:
whats wrong with logitech speakers. i thought they were really good for the price. im listening to some logitech speakers right now.

Yeah, but we've already established that you're deaf :) They're fine for the price, just not really hi-fi by any means.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #959 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, but we've already established that you're deaf :) They're fine for the price, just not really hi-fi by any means.

im not exactly deaf. i might have lost a little hearing but i never find any problems in day to day activities. i can still easily tell if something sounds good or bad. i find teh bass is boomy on them but they don't tend to distort much. i find its easier for headphones to distort. but i think the reason this is is that the speakers plug into the wall and the computer giving them more power. they would distort if they were only plugged into the 3.5 mm audio port on my computer. just my thoughts. also i am used to higher volumes not neccasarily i am deaf.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #960 of 6,432
also i cannot compare the logitechs to anything as i am more of a headphone guy over speaker guy. so i havn't tried any other brands other then logitech. but when i listen more clearly these logitech speakers they have a very muddy sound to them and they tend to have a boomy bass that doesnt match the music at all. i will listen to music that has no bass and it has this really annoying boomy bass to it. my headphones sound much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back