Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #932 of 6,432
Jan 22, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #933 of 6,432

Quote:
yes i know but i hate putting things in my ears. that's why i wear over ear headphones. i also tend to listen to music pretty loud and i find over the ear headphones dont hurt my ears as easily as iems. they cap out at a certain level. while iems are in your ears so full blast is just ear suicide.

Yeah, what logwed said - turn your music down.  IEMs provide better isolation so you don't need to crank it up.  Not trying to sound like your mom, but you're only 18 years and if you enjoy your music that much, you might want to continue to enjoy your music when you're old too.  Keep listening to music loud and everything will lose like Bose or Beats (all bass no detail) by the time you're old.  BTW, I'm only 20 and I like to treat my ears well.

One more thing, if you don't like things in your ears, triple-flanged tips feel even weirder!  *cringe*

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #934 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
yes i know but i hate putting things in my ears. that's why i wear over ear headphones. i also tend to listen to music pretty loud and i find over the ear headphones dont hurt my ears as easily as iems. they cap out at a certain level. while iems are in your ears so full blast is just ear suicide.

Yeah, what logwed said - turn your music down.  IEMs provide better isolation so you don't need to crank it up.  Not trying to sound like your mom, but you're only 18 years and if you enjoy your music that much, you might want to continue to enjoy your music when you're old too.  Keep listening to music loud and everything will lose like Bose or Beats (all bass no detail) by the time you're old.  BTW, I'm only 20 and I like to treat my ears well.

One more thing, if you don't like things in your ears, triple-flanged tips feel even weirder!  *cringe*

that's why i use over ear headphones. its not my fault i like loud music.(well it is) but it just sounds so much better loud. and ear buds i don't like for more then just those reasons. they make my ears itchy. they fallout easily. and they usually break easier. i havn't had a single pair of over ear headphones break on me cord wise. but ear buds. the cords are always so thin and flimsy. i prefer thicker cords.
and i will take what you said into consideration but i have no idea whats to loud or not. whats the best way to tell.

Jan 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #936 of 6,432

Quote:
that's why i use over ear headphones. its not my fault i like loud music.(well it is) but it just sounds so much better loud. and ear buds i don't like for more then just those reasons. they make my ears itchy. they fallout easily. and they usually break easier. i havn't had a single pair of over ear headphones break on me cord wise. but ear buds. the cords are always so thin and flimsy. i prefer thicker cords.
and i will take what you said into consideration but i have no idea whats to loud or not. whats the best way to tell.

Consult your friends, or use a SPL meter. For reference, 'very loud' for me is 2/3 volume on an iPod through my Portapros, 1/2 volume on my TF10s.

Jan 23, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #937 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Consult your friends, or use a SPL meter. For reference, 'very loud' for me is 2/3 volume on an iPod through my Portapros, 1/2 volume on my TF10s.

what about 75% on an ipod classic or laptop. i have it at 75% on my laptop right now.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #938 of 6,432
At home where it is quiet, I'll listen at 40% to 55% on my iPod nano, and at school, between 50% to 65%. When my K518s come in, the isolation should be great, and because they seem to have the same impedance and db/mw as my iGrados, I should listen to it at 30%-40% at home and 45%-55% at school. I've been paranoid about keeping my hearing great for a while, especially since early hearing loss seems to be hereditary on my fathers side (Except for my dad... all four of his siblings have nearsightedness (Mine is pretty bad), and two of his sisters have earing aids and they are only in their forties...)

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #939 of 6,432

Quote:
what about 75% on an ipod classic or laptop. i have it at 75% on my laptop right now.

It depends on the headphone, dude, I've never heard your pair.

Jan 23, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #940 of 6,432
Just hung out with some friends and some friends of his/her that were younger, and they absolutely loved my PortaPros over their iPod headphones!  I told them some prior earbuds I used, but recommended the PortaPros to them.  Even a couple of the "kids"(16 yr olds) liked the way the PortaPros looked, and loved the way they sounded.  Main thing I heard was, "damn, these sound way nicer".

Jan 23, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #941 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For me, the loudest I will ever go on my iPod Touch is 50% volume. 50% is, to my ears, bordering on uncomfortably loud. Also, with my Westones, I rarely go louder than 2 or 3 "clicks" above being muted, but even with my M50 I leave it pretty low. I dunno about your laptop, but for the iPod I'd consider 75% to be extremely loud, unless the Classic is weaker than the Touch

My advice to you is this: every time you go to listen, turn your volume down by a tiny bit, and eventually you'll be listening at safer levels, and it'll be much easier to get used to than going straight from high to low. Hearing is a terrible thing to waste

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:49 AM Post #942 of 6,432

Quote:

Yes.
biggrin.gif
I mean if they sound close to Sigmas at way less than the price I can get one, I totally want a Jecklin.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Shure SRH750
Sensitivity (1kHz)
106 dB/mW 
Impedance (1kHz)
32 Ω

AKG K271
Sensitivity 91 dB/mW, 104 dB/V

Rated impedance 55 ohms

Alright, specs don't mean too much, because of so many deviations, but this is the closest you'll get to help.

So I can listen to my K271's at comfortable listening volumes at 50% from a computer...so...yes, you're probably listening too loud because I consider 50% loud.

Jan 23, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #943 of 6,432
trust me when you get Tinnitus in one or both your ears then you will know when you you volume was too loud. thats how I got it in my right ear.But I got it from a game when I set the sound fx volume loud and didnt notice it til afterwards.

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #945 of 6,432
Thx,Yea I Fiqure the avatar will make some one laugh sooner or later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back