Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #273 of 6,432
Oh yeah, I definitely got that with my AD900s. Compared with the earbuds that came with my cowon D2 (my only other sound-producing device at the time), there was really no comparison.

When I go out, I normally wear a pair of MeElectronics M6 IEMs, but if I had a good case for my Grado SR-225i headphones I would certainly wear them around. I don't care what other people think they look like. I much prefer the grado looks to beats/skullcandy any day.

There is this one guy who has a Sennheiser HD202, and I nod politely to him every time I walk past. I'm hoping he'll notice and ask why, so I can compliment him. One guy in my Engineering group has some EM7's which I got to listen to.

Sometimes I wish there were more people (anyone, really) in my area I could meet with and talk to. My room-mate was pretty good (UE SuperFi4, but he'd have better if he could afford it)) but he's dropping out.

As far as "why" when I buy a product that I'll be using a lot, I tend to go quality (especially if it's a good quality at a low price). Since I do lots of grocery shopping: I have excellent canvas bags to help (mom has some as old as I am that she still uses). I researched products for about a year before I got my .MP3 player, the same with my computer (which is still awesome, cheap and amazing). Since I listen to music a lot, I have good headphones. (and, soon, a good amp, and source, because I really enjoy DIY). I have studio CRT monitors, because they're free and excellent for my purposes (1920*1200@85 Hz ohyes). Things like this, that I'll be using every day I spend a lot of thought, time (and money) into.

I feel like lots of other people I know would rather drop in on their local walmart for some new cans to last them another 6 months until the cable wears out. Or they'll go to a local store, and ask what the best they have is. Sometimes they'll ask friends, or buy what they see in commercials, etc. What I do is look for an enthusiast group, and read their opinions on it. I'll spend absolute ages looking around for the best for my purposes, even if it means importing it from some random country. I'll meticulously sort through pages of information, until I know what I want, and why I want it. I match up my findings with the budget I had in mind when I started and then I buy.

While I like my method of buying "important stuff", just popping in at the local store has a great appeal. You'll get a product that works pretty well (and if you don't know what's better, it's certainly good enough) at a good price, with a minimal time investment. Other people have other priorities, and I will not fault them for that.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #274 of 6,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkvader /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I go out, I normally wear a pair of MeElectronics M6 IEMs, but if I had a good case for my Grado SR-225i headphones I would certainly wear them around. I don't care what other people think they look like. I much prefer the grado looks to beats/skullcandy any day.

I think Grados look great too - actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of college students (males, anyway) would think they look pretty cool.  Retro and everything, you know.

Quote:

As far as "why" when I buy a product that I'll be using a lot, I tend to go quality (especially if it's a good quality at a low price). Since I do lots of grocery shopping: I have excellent canvas bags to help (mom has some as old as I am that she still uses). I researched products for about a year before I got my .MP3 player, the same with my computer (which is still awesome, cheap and amazing). Since I listen to music a lot, I have good headphones. (and, soon, a good amp, and source, because I really enjoy DIY). I have studio CRT monitors, because they're free and excellent for my purposes (1920*1200@85 Hz ohyes). Things like this, that I'll be using every day I spend a lot of thought, time (and money) into.

I smell an FW900!  Sad I got rid of mine, but I sold it to someone who appreciates it - and I later helped a friend procure another.

I kept my T221 instead - I just didn't have room on my desk for the FW 900 (yeah, I know, I should get a new desk) or any more video card outputs for it (using two DVI cables to the T221).  Funny thing is, in my old apartment everyone who would come in would say how huge my roommate's monitor is - one of those 28" I-Inc ones - which looks like crap with its golf-ball sized pixels and horrible colors.  Little did they know that my mere 22" monitor cost 30 times more new and had four times the resolution...

I'm not bragging or anything...
atsmile.gif

I used to think it was cool to talk about how awesome the T221 is to everyone who came in... Then I realized that no one cared - and not to mention, the I-Inc was so much cooler to the casual observer.  Now I try to force myself to keep my mouth shut about anything that a visitor doesn't ask about.  Makes you look like much less of a douche.

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #275 of 6,432

Quote:
People think I am rich. I am not. No where near many of you guys. Oh ignorance. (And condescension to follow.)

^^^This. My M50's might make me look like a spoiled rich kid, but over $100 on fast food in a couple weeks is normal. smh

Dec 14, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #276 of 6,432
I'm just getting into nice headphones. I tried on the Beats today and they were so comfortable :) Not talking about the sound or anything. It was just so soft. I can't wait to get my ATH-ES7 on Wednesday. I hope they're super soft too.

Dec 14, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #277 of 6,432

Quote:
I'm just getting into nice headphones. I tried on the Beats today and they were so comfortable :) Not talking about the sound or anything. It was just so soft. I can't wait to get my ATH-ES7 on Wednesday. I hope they're super soft too.

you want to know the truth?
wink_face.gif

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #278 of 6,432
The only people who I have allowed to listen to my headphones are my wife, and my two boys (3-yr old only got to use the DT770/80 Pro and some cruddy Sonys).

My wife's favorite is the DT770/80 Pro.  She likes bass.  She listened to my Sony MDV300 fart cannons and liked them.  She tried the DT770/80 Pro, and thought they were a lot better than the Sonys.  She tried the DT880 and the K601.  "Those are nice, but I like these (DT770/80 Pro) a little bit more."

My oldest son plays piano and violin.  He can tune the violin by ear.  He liked all the headphones he tried, but spent more time with the K601 - only because he thought they looked like something a spaceman would wear.  He likes the Denons that I own - especially when he listens to Gorillaz.  He thinks the Sonys suck.  He wouldn't say so, but he never wants to use them. 

Youngest son used the DT770/80 Pro.  He also tried the MDV300 fart cannons.  I tried to make him use the MDV300 instead of the DT770/80 Pro.  He got mad.  He tore the fart cannons off his head and threw them across the room.  He demaned the DT770/80 Pro.  He got his wish.

I have an interesting family...

Dec 14, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #279 of 6,432

Quote:

Just got a pair of ES7's yesterday, they are neither soft or comfy.  Although the sound is great

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #282 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

I think Grados look great too - actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of college students (males, anyway) would think they look pretty cool.  Retro and everything, you know.

Quote:

I smell an FW900!  Sad I got rid of mine, but I sold it to someone who appreciates it - and I later helped a friend procure another.

I kept my T221 instead - I just didn't have room on my desk for the FW 900 (yeah, I know, I should get a new desk) or any more video card outputs for it (using two DVI cables to the T221).  Funny thing is, in my old apartment everyone who would come in would say how huge my roommate's monitor is - one of those 28" I-Inc ones - which looks like crap with its golf-ball sized pixels and horrible colors.  Little did they know that my mere 22" monitor cost 30 times more new and had four times the resolution...

atsmile.gif

I used to think it was cool to talk about how awesome the T221 is to everyone who came in... Then I realized that no one cared - and not to mention, the I-Inc was so much cooler to the casual observer.  Now I try to force myself to keep my mouth shut about anything that a visitor doesn't ask about.  Makes you look like much less of a douche.

Yep, rebadged under an HP logo, however (and an ugly beige). At the moment I'm running it with a pair of Apple studio 21" CRT's, and I have my nightsnand holding it up, although right now it's on loan ("give") to my room-mate who needs it more than I do (He does CAD for fun). It's true that a quality CRT (those apples retailed for $1500 each, once upon a time, and I hear the FW-900 was  $2,500) is better than all but the best LCD's and even many plasmas, especially in terms of longevity and in terms of useful components you can salvage from the inside) but no-one wants to hear it nowadays. I don't bring them up, unless someone specifically makes fun of my setup, in which case, I'll tell them that I prefer picture quality to physical size. I don't press the issue anymore: It's just not worth alienating a potential friend over it. Lots of people would rather be ignorant of such things, and it makes sense. But that lifestyle is not for me.

Right now I'm looking for a good pair of socks to sock-mod my grados with. I'll proudly wear them around. I don't wear my headphones for other people, just like I don't dress to please others, I wear practical clothing that I like, just like I have good-sounding headphone that I like. Since I recognize that my lifestyle isn't for others, I'll let them do their thing, without prejudice.

I don't have a lot of contact with people I see, though. I've never been a huge social person.

Dec 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #284 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

atsmile.gif

Yep, rebadged under an HP logo, however (and an ugly beige). At the moment I'm running it with a pair of Apple studio 21" CRT's, and I have my nightsnand holding it up, although right now it's on loan ("give") to my room-mate who needs it more than I do (He does CAD for fun). It's true that a quality CRT (those apples retailed for $1500 each, once upon a time, and I hear the FW-900 was  $2,500) is better than all but the best LCD's and even many plasmas, especially in terms of longevity and in terms of useful components you can salvage from the inside) but no-one wants to hear it nowadays. I don't bring them up, unless someone specifically makes fun of my setup, in which case, I'll tell them that I prefer picture quality to physical size. I don't press the issue anymore: It's just not worth alienating a potential friend over it. Lots of people would rather be ignorant of such things, and it makes sense. But that lifestyle is not for me.

Right now I'm looking for a good pair of socks to sock-mod my grados with. I'll proudly wear them around. I don't wear my headphones for other people, just like I don't dress to please others, I wear practical clothing that I like, just like I have good-sounding headphone that I like. Since I recognize that my lifestyle isn't for others, I'll let them do their thing, without prejudice.

I don't have a lot of contact with people I see, though. I've never been a huge social person.

If they do make fun of it - pop in the Bluray/DVD of 300 and play the beginning for them... Then show it to them on an LCD.  They'll never want to use an LCD again if you do that in a dark room!

Alternatively, let 'em play their video game of choice at 85-120 Hz.  That thing is amazing for gaming, too.  LCDs just can't compare...

Dec 14, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #285 of 6,432
I think I converted another. 

My friend came over, and he spotted all my headphones, so he asked, "Why do you spend so much on those? There's like no difference."

I told him to lie down, pick some songs and make a 15 minute playlist while I went out to get gas.... 

When I got back, he was totally unaware, but was just lying on the couch beaming with his eyes closed.

He proceeded to ask me what he could get for various prices, what's a good starting point, etc.

*Cackles maniacally at what he has done to his friends wallet*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back