Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM Post #302 of 6,432

Quote:
Nobody understands us audiophiles...
Thank goodness for these forums.
I don't know what we did before the web was here.

Hung out in stereo shops!

Read magazines that were actually worth reading!

Listened to music!

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #303 of 6,432
I think of audiophilia as just another form of art appreciation. The people most open to the hobby tend also to be more picky or discriminating about other things. The thing about this hobby I think most people wouldn't understand is the purist audiophile's goal, the desire for faithful reproduction, to get as close as possible to the recording and musicians' original intent even if uneuphonic. Most easy to sympathize with, and likely the most common goal of audiophiles, is a pleasant and musical sound, and if larger than life even better.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #304 of 6,432

Quote:
I think of audiophilia as just another form of art appreciation. The people most open to the hobby tend also to be more picky or discriminating about other things. The thing about this hobby I think most people wouldn't understand is the purist audiophile's goal, the desire for faithful reproduction, to get as close as possible to the recording and musicians' original intent even if uneuphonic. Most easy to sympathize with, and likely the most common goal of audiophiles, is a pleasant and musical sound, and if larger than life even better.

You stated that beautifully, nice words

Dec 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #305 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

You stated that beautifully, nice words

beyersmile.png
x2

Dec 15, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #306 of 6,432
I let my mom listen to Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock & Roll" after I had discovered that there were guitar tracks going on there which I had never noticed. She listened politely for about a minute, took them off, smiled, and said, "Oh, those sound really nice."

Meh.

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #307 of 6,432

Great stories here.
Mine  :
When i introduced my FX700 to my bid sister saying these cost a lot ..$400,  She quickly put them on , i played her one of the favourite songs , she took the Sflo2 and FX700 comb around the room and Loudly said (as she was listening them at a good volume, she lost the sense to keep tab on her volume ) " hay, these are costly , but , you have bought a really fantastic thing !!"  she kept them on for an hour ..then eagerly introduced them to her husband saying "look at these these are Awesome, hear them !!"   I loved the whole incident , made me smile !

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #308 of 6,432

Quote:

Great stories here.
Mine  :
When i introduced my FX700 to my bid sister saying these cost a lot ..$400,  She quickly put them on , i played her one of the favourite songs , she took the Sflo2 and FX700 comb around the room and Loudly said (as she was listening them at a good volume, she lost the sense to keep tab on her volume ) " hay, these are costly , but , you have bought a really fantastic thing !!"  she kept them on for an hour ..then eagerly introduced them to her husband saying "look at these these are Awesome, hear them !!"   I loved the whole incident , made me smile !

My friend after listening to mine:

"They sound kinda awesome. Their bass is better than mine. Mine are louder though"

Later in the day I asked him if he knew what treble was. Absolutely clueless. I find that ironic, because other than MJ, all he listens to is rock. *sigh*

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #309 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

Great stories here.
Mine  :

My friend after listening to mine:

"They sound kinda awesome. Their bass is better than mine. Mine are louder though"

Later in the day I asked him if he knew what treble was. Absolutely clueless. I find that ironic, because other than MJ, all he listens to is rock. *sigh*

lol... "louder"...  "treble"...

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #310 of 6,432

Quote:
Nobody understands us audiophiles...
Thank goodness for these forums.
I don't know what we did before the web was here.

Man I hear you, all I get is weird stares from friends when they see me with a new headphone like every other week.
etysmile.gif

They think it's money wasting - well they all drink and smoke a lot so that to me is just money wasting.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #311 of 6,432
Yeah totally. My girlfriend tells me I waste money on headphones. My response every single time is, "So how many times have you worn that pair of shoes, considering you have roughly 200 pairs." 

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #312 of 6,432
Using a set of old AKG K66s, his reaction after pairing them from a laptop Creative Soundblaster sound card to my setup instead, which is in the sig (Music Fidelity V-DAC > Matrix M-Stage)... his reaction:

"I've never heard them sound like this!"
 To the Alessandro's: "It's like they're blasting sound right at me!!"
beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #313 of 6,432
We found my older son's iPod Nano.  My younger son did NOT flush it down the toilet.

This has nothing to do with non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones, but I'm sure there were those of you that were hanging on the edge of your seat wondering what had happened to to the iPod.

Dec 15, 2010 at 8:49 PM Post #315 of 6,432

Quote:
We found my older son's iPod Nano.  My younger son did NOT flush it down the toilet.

This has nothing to do with non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones, but I'm sure there were those of you that were hanging on the edge of your seat wondering what had happened to to the iPod.

I for one was ready to rage if I didn't get news of the situation fast. However, I'm curious as to what your children think of your headphone collection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back