Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 14, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #286 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The only way to expand the Head-Fi market is more knowledgable consumers.

Also, I usually get the NEEDZ MOAR BASSSSS!!! response. Then the person who said that listens to The Beats' bass, which makes the song sound like the artist recorded it while a Magnitude 8.0 earthquake was happening, and they say, "OMG these are the best!!!!" 
blink.gif

According to several Chinese audiophiles,

A new audiophile craves bass;
An established audiophile craves treble;
A really serious audiophile craves mid-range.

So basically everybody is a potential audiophile. The key is to get them past the "massive bass" stage. I got myself past that by buying a pair of Koss UR-20. That's right.

Bollocks. I appreciate all the frequencies. It may of helped that I've listened to so many different sound signatures, from high-treble / high-mids (Grados) to sub bass monsters (in a good way) (the JVC FX500 in-ears).

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:03 AM Post #287 of 6,432
My girlfriend finally figured out I'm an audiophile. She said to me one day, "how many pairs of headphones do you have?" My response was a, "I thought you would never ask!" So I showed her my equipment, and let her listen to some stuff. She was like, "wow, these sound way better than my brother's Beats by Dre, how much were they?" Haha, that's when things went south. "Let's just say you could pay your rent twice with how much I've spent." And then she flipped.

Dec 15, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #288 of 6,432
This thread is well on the way to becoming as long as the Orthodynamic Roundup one.

Let me add my latest experience to the mix. My friend I mentioned six billion posts ago was looking for a good, cheap pair of headphones. I steered him onto the Koss ones everybody seems to love, the PortaPros and the KSC75. He went with the latter. Just yesterday I saw him and his order had come in. He was over the moon about them. The fit was giving him trouble (I had trouble with this, too, if it comes to it) and he said the cord was too short, but overall he was psyched.

I got to try them, of course. They're actually not half bad. They were somewhat grainy, and since they didn't fit right I couldn't really evaluate the bass, but overall they were pleasant to listen to.

I think this reinforces my point earlier that you don't necessarily have to be an audiophile to appreciate good sound. He knew they were better than any of the crappy things he had ever had before, and he also knew that they didn't stack up to either of the headphones I had had at the various times he showed up and auditioned them. It also shows that the "non-audiophile" reaction isn't always one of negativity or lack of understanding.

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #289 of 6,432
One of my university unit-mates who is a musician listened to my M50s, and thereafter would periodically ask to borrow them to help master his music, as his only other head/ear-phones are the Metro.Fi 220's. Another unit-mate listened to them and said "...whoa..........he is singing INSIDE MY HEAD. 
atsmile.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #291 of 6,432

Quote:
The only people who I have allowed to listen to my headphones are my wife, and my two boys (3-yr old only got to use the DT770/80 Pro and some cruddy Sonys).

My wife's favorite is the DT770/80 Pro.  She likes bass.  She listened to my Sony MDV300 fart cannons and liked them.  She tried the DT770/80 Pro, and thought they were a lot better than the Sonys.  She tried the DT880 and the K601.  "Those are nice, but I like these (DT770/80 Pro) a little bit more."

My oldest son plays piano and violin.  He can tune the violin by ear.  He liked all the headphones he tried, but spent more time with the K601 - only because he thought they looked like something a spaceman would wear.  He likes the Denons that I own - especially when he listens to Gorillaz.  He thinks the Sonys suck.  He wouldn't say so, but he never wants to use them. 

Youngest son used the DT770/80 Pro.  He also tried the MDV300 fart cannons.  I tried to make him use the MDV300 instead of the DT770/80 Pro.  He got mad.  He tore the fart cannons off his head and threw them across the room.  He demaned the DT770/80 Pro.  He got his wish.

I have an interesting family...

I lol'd at that. I can just see a small kid showing attitude and chucking the headphones across the room. Lol. When I get my DT 770/Pro this week I'll see about letting some of my friends hear them. None of my friends care or even know about good headphones. I wanna see what some of them think when they hear them. What do you use to power your DT770s?

Dec 15, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #292 of 6,432

Quote:

I agree with this.  It didn't really happen to me with headphones because I started off with Sennheisers and very very well balanced mackie speakers that let the mids shine, so I've always taken a mids first approach to headphones as well.  But I've noticed a lot of head-fiers go through this progression.  First it's big bass because that's what's lacking in computer speakers or ibuds.  Then they start hearing all the details and get obsessed with that, getting bass-light treble heavy phones, but then eventually stop listening so analytically and realize this is unbalanced and overpowers the mids, where the gut reaction comes from. 

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #294 of 6,432
Dec 15, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #295 of 6,432
Had a friend see my TF10s, he said they looked hardcore. He had a listen and was very impressed - although he was shocked that somebody would spend $200 on headphones.

Oh well, he would happily drop over a grand on a car sub
etysmile.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #298 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:

I agree with this.  It didn't really happen to me with headphones because I started off with Sennheisers and very very well balanced mackie speakers that let the mids shine, so I've always taken a mids first approach to headphones as well.  But I've noticed a lot of head-fiers go through this progression.  First it's big bass because that's what's lacking in computer speakers or ibuds.  Then they start hearing all the details and get obsessed with that, getting bass-light treble heavy phones, but then eventually stop listening so analytically and realize this is unbalanced and overpowers the mids, where the gut reaction comes from. 

I see that progression too.
But isn't it about pairing the qualities of certain headphones, with the kinds of music you like to put on at that moment, as well?

I don't have experience with such high end cans that they could maybe do it all, but when I listen to light jazz or classical, I crave for the K501's qualities. When listening to rock, I crave for Grado's treble...

Dec 15, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #299 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I see that progression too.
But isn't it about pairing the qualities of certain headphones, with the kinds of music you like to put on at that moment, as well?

I don't have experience with such high end cans that they could maybe do it all, but when I listen to light jazz or classical, I crave for the K501's qualities. When listening to rock, I crave for Grado's treble...

I think it has to do with the production as well. I used to believe that once I matched up my sonic preference to the right set of headphones, I'd be set. Um...no, it didn't work. It turns out that a lot of mainstream recordings are really hyped in the treble, so a bright headphone like the DT880--which I love for well-recorded music--sometimes makes me cringe on the trebly stuff. It's not just the genre, as I have rock recordings which sound fine on the DT880. It's also the manner of production, which may be congruent across most of a given genre. Jazz and classical are usually well-recorded (excepting historical recordings, especially before AC bias was discovered). The Benchmark recordings linked to in my signature are also well-made and sound fantastic on the Beyers, as they were recorded "properly."

Dec 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #300 of 6,432

Quote:
Quote:
The only people who I have allowed to listen to my headphones are my wife, and my two boys (3-yr old only got to use the DT770/80 Pro and some cruddy Sonys).

My wife's favorite is the DT770/80 Pro.  She likes bass.  She listened to my Sony MDV300 fart cannons and liked them.  She tried the DT770/80 Pro, and thought they were a lot better than the Sonys.  She tried the DT880 and the K601.  "Those are nice, but I like these (DT770/80 Pro) a little bit more."

My oldest son plays piano and violin.  He can tune the violin by ear.  He liked all the headphones he tried, but spent more time with the K601 - only because he thought they looked like something a spaceman would wear.  He likes the Denons that I own - especially when he listens to Gorillaz.  He thinks the Sonys suck.  He wouldn't say so, but he never wants to use them. 

Youngest son used the DT770/80 Pro.  He also tried the MDV300 fart cannons.  I tried to make him use the MDV300 instead of the DT770/80 Pro.  He got mad.  He tore the fart cannons off his head and threw them across the room.  He demaned the DT770/80 Pro.  He got his wish.

I have an interesting family...

I lol'd at that. I can just see a small kid showing attitude and chucking the headphones across the room. Lol. When I get my DT 770/Pro this week I'll see about letting some of my friends hear them. None of my friends care or even know about good headphones. I wanna see what some of them think when they hear them. What do you use to power your DT770s?

He was about 3-years old at the time of the fart cannon tossing episode.  Now, he is under investigation for allegedly flushing his brother's iPod Nano down the toilet.  I'd really like to see which one he likes out of my other full-sized cans, but I'd hate to see my HD650s being thrown across the room if he didn't like them.  Actually, he has matured quite a bit, but the terrible twos and threes were REALLY terrible!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back