Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #6,046 of 6,432
I am not an audiophile but I do have denon ahd7100's and they will not leave my room Ever. The sound quality is something I can't describe in words, you have to experience by buying your own pair hahahah!

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:37 AM Post #6,047 of 6,432
Quote:
This thread has just turned into an Apple hate thread, and I wish the negative comments that have no personal experience to back it would stop. Apple makes excellent products and just because you think you can do better for yourself is no reason to bash products that other people have had great experiences with. You guys need to grow up.

I have worked with a mac during a one year internship. No one is bashing apple here. If someone needs to grow up, then its you. Some members here (including me) think Apple suck, and that's our opinion. You try to make our opinions look like some hateposts, which is absolutly wrong.

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #6,048 of 6,432
Hello guys,

I have received the best reactions from my wife and from my parents.

Until I got the LCD2 my wife wasn't so impressed by my HD650 with burson ha-160ds. I tried to get her a little more into this passion but... after one song she left the headphones every time.

When I got the lcd2 and let her listen for the first time, I couldn't get them off her head and she started singing along. It was dark in the room so she didn't notice when I filmed her reactions (at first)
biggrin.gif

My dad was so impressed by a classical piece that tears came down from his eyes. My mother never cared too much for any tech hobby and she doesn't have any expertise or experience in audio either. When she started listening she started to understand what this hobby is about...and that is huge 
biggrin.gif
 :

You can read all about this story here  or all my stories on headfi or on my blog .

Feb 2, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #6,049 of 6,432
Nice video ;D

Recently I convinced my gf to try my HD 800 with her music. (she listens mostly to recent chart/pop music)
She said it's very clean and clear sounding.

Than I wanted her to try some of my music which she also seems to like.
She switched back and forth between her songs and my songs.
and realized that her music doesn't sound good on those cans.

Feb 2, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #6,050 of 6,432
Quote:
This thread has just turned into an Apple hate thread, and I wish the negative comments that have no personal experience to back it would stop. Apple makes excellent products and just because you think you can do better for yourself is no reason to bash products that other people have had great experiences with. You guys need to grow up.

I actually have a ipad 3 16gb, a ipod touch 16gb, my wife has a iphone 4s and i had a original first batch ipad shuffle once ( that was best sounding ipod i ever had and it was undustructable..it even went into wahingmachine by accident in my pants and i let it dry and it wirked again..miracle!).. So yeah i have personal experience with apple products..and i dont like them at all..its to much controlled by apple.. My ipad for instance sometimes freezes all of a sudden while on wifi..and then after a while starts working again..i have an android tablet also and it never has this problem..i u derstand its a ipad hickop..i agree apple makes beautiful products..but they are getting behind with android..just like blackberry did..they thought they were boss.and didnt need to innovate.and look whats happening..they are doing bad now..and samsung with android is undefeatable now... I have a htc hd2.. its almost vintage..but it fell a million times, got used in streamin rainstorms and in snow storms and until now worked always without any hickop..oh yeah..i once stand on it and it fell out of my jacket couple of times..that were the days..making customer proof phones.. Dont even think letting an apple product fall on the floor..as it wont survive it..i know.my wife had the iphone3.. Kaboom it went..but their laptops are beautiful and i understand sound better then windows laptops..but they are soooo expensive..and my ipad 3 has best screen i ever saw on a tablet.(but i read samsung is working on a better one) . I understand apple is going into survival/innovation mode against samsung for the first time..ios 7 comes with a completely new redesigned appearance..not just an upgrade of the same...and lower priced products...l really want to like apple..lets see what 2013 will give us..let the games begin..
beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #6,051 of 6,432
Quote:
I actually have a ipad 3 16gb, a ipod touch 16gb, my wife has a iphone 4s and i had a original first batch ipad shuffle once ( that was best sounding ipod i ever had and it was undustructable..it even went into wahingmachine by accident in my pants and i let it dry and it wirked again..miracle!).. So yeah i have personal experience with apple products..and i dont like them at all..its to much controlled by apple.. My ipad for instance sometimes freezes all of a sudden while on wifi..and then after a while starts working again..i have an android tablet also and it never has this problem..i u derstand its a ipad hickop..i agree apple makes beautiful products..but they are getting behind with android..just like blackberry did..they thought they were boss.and didnt need to innovate.and look whats happening..they are doing bad now..and samsung with android is undefeatable now... I have a htc hd2.. its almost vintage..but it fell a million times, got used in streamin rainstorms and in snow storms and until now worked always without any hickop..oh yeah..i once stand on it and it fell out of my jacket couple of times..that were the days..making customer proof phones.. Dont even think letting an apple product fall on the floor..as it wont survive it..i know.my wife had the iphone3.. Kaboom it went..but their laptops are beautiful and i understand sound better then windows laptops..but they are soooo expensive..and my ipad 3 has best screen i ever saw on a tablet.(but i read samsung is working on a better one) . I understand apple is going into survival/innovation mode against samsung for the first time..ios 7 comes with a completely new redesigned appearance..not just an upgrade of the same...and lower priced products...l really want to like apple..lets see what 2013 will give us..let the games begin..
beerchug.gif

I don't think you can get much better than retina :D ,
Mind you, I prefer my ipod for music playback compared to my htc evo 3d. The ipod has better sound quality and other than the screen, it's indestructible. My HTC has way too much noise and top end isn't as clear however my ipod is a different story but I prefer android because of file support, customization and features. A little buggy compared to ios but still better as a phone OS
Their computers are overpriced IMO but fast and almost flawless for stability

Feb 2, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #6,052 of 6,432
Quote:
I don't think you can get much better than retina :D ,
Mind you, I prefer my ipod for music playback compared to my htc evo 3d. The ipod has better sound quality and other than the screen, it's indestructible. My HTC has way too much noise and top end isn't as clear however my ipod is a different story but I prefer android because of file support, customization and features. A little buggy compared to ios but still better as a phone OS
Their computers are overpriced IMO but fast and almost flawless for stability

Lets hope they will use the strong points of android and use it in their own phones/tablets in the near future..ps..i dont like using phones for music..music sounds ****ty on them..imho ofcourse 
biggrin.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #6,053 of 6,432
Quote:
You're not quite comparing the same thing. Though expensive that's ECC DDR3 SDRAM, a premium business grade component designed to ensure maximum reliability and system uptime. It's a commercial product that can be bought by consumers. If you compare pricing on consumer equipment sold to end users versus the price for original equipment for industrial and commercial entities you would be a lot less surprised about the price of things.

What makes you think ECC RAM costs nearly that much? Not that I'd actually want ECC RAM, but you can easily get 32GB for less than $250. Nothing comes close to a grand...

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #6,054 of 6,432
Quote:
-snip-

It's not just wallet-burning spell.  It's the whole pants and bank account.  

-snip-

That's something even me, that had just started to swim in this ocean, couldn't agree more.

Maybe that's because when sound lovers go out for shopping, they don't go out for shopping - they go on a quest.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #6,055 of 6,432
I have worked with a mac during a one year internship. No one is bashing apple here. If someone needs to grow up, then its you. Some members here (including me) think Apple suck, and that's our opinion. You try to make our opinions look like some hateposts, which is absolutly wrong.

Saying something sucks, without giving reasons or examples is very much a hatepost... Correct me if I'm wrong.

OSX lets a user that knows how to do it control everything. Saying otherwise is PC fanboy propaganda.

I like my simple, closed in, easy, controlled, one click buy a song world. Let me?

This argument about Apple is runner up to discussing God on the internet. After those two come cable sound discussions.

Apple must be doing somthing people like, else people would not buy it, or buy a new device again.

There are more important things in life, like:

Superbowl WHO WILL WIN IT?

That said, my gf's nephew got a new ipod touch and talked about the great sound quality. I gifted him my Sennheiser PX 100 II. He liked it and said: "They sound different, but I like it I can hear more."

He is 11. He liked the sound of my Beyerdynamic 880 but said they are way to big to take to school, but also said slyly: "Can you give me those too? Like for when I'm at home?"

Hehe.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #6,056 of 6,432
Quote:
Saying something sucks, without giving reasons or examples is very much a hatepost... Correct me if I'm wrong.

OSX lets a user that knows how to do it control everything. Saying otherwise is PC fanboy propaganda.

I like my simple, closed in, easy, controlled, one click buy a song world. Let me?

This argument about Apple is runner up to discussing God on the internet. After those two come cable sound discussions.

Apple must be doing somthing people like, else people would not buy it, or buy a new device again.

There are more important things in life, like:

Superbowl WHO WILL WIN IT?

That said, my gf's nephew got a new ipod touch and talked about the great sound quality. I gifted him my Sennheiser PX 100 II. He liked it and said: "They sound different, but I like it I can hear more."

He is 11. He liked the sound of my Beyerdynamic 880 but said they are way to big to take to school, but also said slyly: "Can you give me those too? Like for when I'm at home?"

Hehe.

Smart kid.. 
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #6,057 of 6,432
Quote:
Very classy special effects, lol. You'd do that if someone damaged your nice hps too....
There's nothing bad about dreaming, but don't get crazy about it. That's why i say HE400, which to me is about your best bang for your buck. Orthos are so much more realistic sounding than anything I've ever heard. I don't know DTs very well, but I think many people will agree with me. Don't worry about how cool headphones look, sound is #1.

I actually can't stand modern looking headphones at are all shiny and smooth. I like some rugged trucker headphones ergo the DT770 Pro which could possibly survive being ran over by a truck. Not that you would want to be distracted while driving a 10,000 pound truck which is a true death machine.

Anyway, yeah the Hifiman looks really nice and probably have a way different sound from the DT770's which are bass monsters so I will definitely consider them in the future.

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:32 PM Post #6,058 of 6,432
Quote:
It is a product that looks great, is engineered great and has an intiutive user interface and everything just works.

Total crap. I admin over 1500 of them. They don't 'just work'. Trust me. It takes a lot of dedication and tweaking, YEARS... of fiddling and scripting to make them all work.  But as a home user, bah.. just call AppleCare to get it fixed and oh.. wait, you gotta pay more for that. :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #6,059 of 6,432
Quote:

Total crap. I admin over 1500 of them. They don't 'just work'. Trust me. It takes a lot of dedication and tweaking, YEARS... of fiddling and scripting to make them all work.  But as a home user, bah.. just call AppleCare to get it fixed and oh.. wait, you gotta pay more for that. :)

popcorn.gif

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6,060 of 6,432
You have to pay more for support/hardware coverage on a PC, too. At least with AppleCare you can walk into an Apple store and get it fixed rather than sitting on the phone with India for 2 hours, waiting for a shipping box, mailing it off, and waiting...

Any remotely skilled tech can service either one though, so it doesn't matter for some.

EDIT: You can also add AppleCare anytime within the first year of purchase where as most retailer plans / extended warranties directly through the companies have fairly limited windows for extension.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back