Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Feb 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #6,031 of 6,432
Quote:
Quote:
I could write a book on what's wrong with Apple.
regular_smile%20.gif

It is a product that looks great, is engineered great and has an intiutive user interface and everything just works.

Whats wrong with that? Ask my father to setup a pc or install drivers or software...

Overpriced for the hardware specs, yes. But otherwise great for the market intended.

If it gets the job done for you and you feel the price is fair then that's all that matters. But there's definitely a lot to dislike about Apple and not just that they're overpriced. For one thing, the walled garden approach sucks for advanced users. But what really gets me is the way Apple claims to use the equivalent of Gorilla Glass on their mobile devices and yet the smallest drop shatters the glass and guess what, the screen isn't covered by the warranty at all. Its a concerted effort to force users to buy a new device every year which is, well, just plain evil and greedy. I can drop, step on, throw, etc my Nexus 7 and Galaxy S2 and the screen never cracks let alone shatters. Hmm, seems Android device makers are more concerned about making me happy than getting every last dollar that they can out of me. What a novel concept...

Feb 1, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #6,033 of 6,432
Quote:
It is a product that looks great, is engineered great and has an intiutive user interface and everything just works.

Whats wrong with that? Ask my father to setup a pc or install drivers or software...

Overpriced for the hardware specs, yes. But otherwise great for the market intended.

Not just overpriced, their higher end stuff isn't even in the same ballpark as it should be. 

And now they've given people the impression that it's actually difficult to use Windows, and that there are things about it that just don't work. The only drivers I've had to install are for my sound card, and that's just because I got a new one since I got my computer. Windows automatically installs the vast majority of drivers by now, and when you buy a PC everything is already set up. I'll admit there are some advantages to a Unix based architecture(like the fact you don't need to defrag, and not a lot of viruses), but they don't outweigh the compatibility problems and the ludicrous price they charge for it. Not to mention Linux bears those same advantages and has very user friendly distros nowadays believe it or not, and check out how much that costs.

I really hate their business model too. They managed to survive in the market by pushing against proprietary hardware, and now they're trying to lock their customers into their market with proprietary hardware. They like to sue the crap out of everyone and claim they invented everything when they've never actually came up with an original idea. 

I'll admit that they're great marketers and make good quality products. But they're a greasy company and their stuff is nowhere near worth the money.

Feb 1, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #6,034 of 6,432
Not just overpriced, their higher end stuff isn't even in the same ballpark as it should be. 

And now they've given people the impression that it's actually difficult to use Windows, and that there are things about it that just don't work. The only drivers I've had to install are for my sound card, and that's just because I got a new one since I got my computer. Windows automatically installs the vast majority of drivers by now, and when you buy a PC everything is already set up. I'll admit there are some advantages to a Unix based architecture(like the fact you don't need to defrag, and not a lot of viruses), but they don't outweigh the compatibility problems and the ludicrous price they charge for it. Not to mention Linux bears those same advantages and has very user friendly distros nowadays believe it or not, and check out how much that costs.

I really hate their business model too. They managed to survive in the market by pushing against proprietary hardware, and now they're trying to lock their customers into their market with proprietary hardware. They like to sue the crap out of everyone and claim they invented everything when they've never actually came up with an original idea. 

I'll admit that they're great marketers and make good quality products. But they're a greasy company and their stuff is nowhere near worth the money.

All this bears repeating. Apple products work if you don't want to have any control over your devices. But I would rather be able to do what I want with what I paid for. If that means I break it, that's my fault. But its my device, not Apple's. That's why I don't have a Facebook, run Linux, buy Chinese market android devices, and rip my own media rather than buying it online. If you want to be forced into doing things the way a company tells you buy apple. I'd rather not

Edit: also, I have had an archos 5it, an icoo d70w, a Google nexus7, and a PiPO s2 tablet. My girlfriend has an iPod touch, and her niece an iPhone 3 and both of them are far more unstable, slower, and less user friendly than ever the android 1.6 archos 5it

Feb 1, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #6,035 of 6,432
Quote:
All this bears repeating. Apple products work if you don't want to have any control over your devices. But I would rather be able to do what I want with what I paid for. If that means I break it, that's my fault. But its my device, not Apple's. That's why I don't have a Facebook, run Linux, buy Chinese market android devices, and rip my own media rather than buying it online. If you want to be forced into doing things the way a company tells you buy apple. I'd rather not

Edit: also, I have had an archos 5it, an icoo d70w, a Google nexus7, and a PiPO s2 tablet. My girlfriend has an iPod touch, and her niece an iPhone 3 and both of them are far more unstable, slower, and less user friendly than ever the android 1.6 archos 5it

There are certainly purposes for getting more customizable devices since Apple doesn't promote the user messing with their devices much, but you make it sound like if you don't want to micromanage every aspect of your device then you don't want any control. smh Do you realize how elitist that makes you sound? lol Ease of use is actually valuable to many people, believe it or not, and perhaps many of the people using such products would rather their devices not get in the way so they can actually be productive elsewhere. So Apple users don't want "any" control over their devices? Get over yourself.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #6,036 of 6,432
This thread has just turned into an Apple hate thread, and I wish the negative comments that have no personal experience to back it would stop. Apple makes excellent products and just because you think you can do better for yourself is no reason to bash products that other people have had great experiences with. You guys need to grow up.

Feb 1, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #6,037 of 6,432
There are certainly purposes for getting more customizable devices since Apple doesn't promote the user messing with their devices much, but you make it sound like if you don't want to micromanage every aspect of your device then you don't want any control. smh Do you realize how elitist that makes you sound? lol Ease of use is actually valuable to many people, believe it or not, and perhaps many of the people using such products would rather their devices not get in the way so they can actually be productive elsewhere. So Apple users don't want "any" control over their devices? Get over yourself.

I'm sorry, did I make some personal attack on you? I'd appreciate it if you'd show me the same respect. You like apple, that's cool. Launching a verbal assault on someone who disagrees with you is not. Reflect on your own advice

Feb 2, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #6,038 of 6,432
I personally haven't been much of a fan of anything computer related without a cd drive. Also i find tablets and smartphones to be pretty bland and boring. I wait until i get home and do internet stuff mostly, but can stop at mcdonalds or library for quick search on phone wifi sometimes; however, that is usually slow and diluted to the point that I hardly saw a point. Maybe the future has a place for small devices and going cross-eyed in the process, but I 'm not going to pay big money till I can get it all. Apps are just not enough for my kind of searches.
Honestly, when I see a couple walking down the street and one is on a cell/smart phone, I think: What is happening. It's like when I go visit my parents and they just sit and stare at the tv for 5+ hours a night. What ever happened to having a conversation while listening to some soft music?

I agree that people want easy and whatever, but everybody has accepted a phone that is around 400 with a 100+ a month bill. And for what, to fertilize their crops on farmville? Maybe if I had a business I'd want a data plan. But I'd get something other than apple os if i had to get a plan.
other than that, my used 16g iphone 3, whatever, that i got at game stop for 140 isn't bad for playback and talking. I use the apps and it sets up easily. I would like it to come with more, for free, like a freaking video player. The camera works great and I downloaded a video app, but they don't work together and i cant get my vids to my computer for some reason. Pics and video is awesome looking though :)

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #6,040 of 6,432
Quote:
This thread has just turned into an Apple hate thread, and I wish the negative comments that have no personal experience to back it would stop. Apple makes excellent products and just because you think you can do better for yourself is no reason to bash products that other people have had great experiences with. You guys need to grow up.

So if I do have personal experience with them I can continue, right?

I don't just think I can do better for myself, I think everyone can. Their pricing is ridiculous. You know they charge $975 to upgrade your RAM to 32GB in a Mac pro? $1000 for a 512GB SSD? How can people be taking that seriously?

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #6,041 of 6,432
Guys, the Apple debate has gotten many a thread shut down before. Let's not spoil this one.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #6,042 of 6,432
Quote:
I would wait till you can afford some and purchase some HE400's, then use you're older hps to show off at school.

I vowed not to buy any new headphones until they break. But considering the durablity of these that would be never.

I will not fall under Head-Fi's wallet burning spell.  EVER. I NEVR WILL.  Oh wow the DT880's look pretty cool actually.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #6,043 of 6,432
Quote:
I vowed not to buy any new headphones until they break. But considering the durablity of these that would be never.

I will not fall under Head-Fi's wallet burning spell.  EVER. I NEVR WILL.  Oh wow the DT880's look pretty cool actually.

Decided my first cans would be DT770 Pro 250Ohm with Fiio E17.  Came a day after the oder (impressed).  Returned 'cause they sent me the 80Ohm one (unimpressed).  Weekend with no headphone and Monday came, had to call back to threaten them to send my cans immediately.  Monday afternoon, couldn't wait, bought ATH-M50 LE off of Craigslist.  Monday evening, happy.  Wednesday afternoon, DT770 Pro 250Ohm arrived.  Happy.
Oh, yes!  The only thing I didn't audition was K550 and Tiesto.  And I remember listening to Q701 and loved it.  I think I need an open back phone for my gaming.  Oooh but I never had a chance to listen to orthos.  Hmmm...  Maybe I should save up for a T5p?  Oh wow!  I just realized these freaking headphones need better amps.  Could I get away with a Fiio E09k?  Or maybe I should have a PC build for music/movies rather than Photoshop?  Hmm...  What's that?  HD800 at a 10% discount?  Teeempting!  Ooooh!  Why don't I have woody cups?  I want woody cups!

It's not just wallet-burning spell.  It's the whole pants and bank account.  One thing is for sure, though.  My 2 cans made me love working overtime to save up for more cans... and my co-workers just couldn't understand the relationship of both, despite having them listen to my headphones with their choice of music.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #6,044 of 6,432
Quote:
So if I do have personal experience with them I can continue, right?

I don't just think I can do better for myself, I think everyone can. Their pricing is ridiculous. You know they charge $975 to upgrade your RAM to 32GB in a Mac pro? $1000 for a 512GB SSD? How can people be taking that seriously?

You're not quite comparing the same thing. Though expensive that's ECC DDR3 SDRAM, a premium business grade component designed to ensure maximum reliability and system uptime. It's a commercial product that can be bought by consumers. If you compare pricing on consumer equipment sold to end users versus the price for original equipment for industrial and commercial entities you would be a lot less surprised about the price of things.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #6,045 of 6,432
Quote:

Very classy special effects, lol. You'd do that if someone damaged your nice hps too....
There's nothing bad about dreaming, but don't get crazy about it. That's why i say HE400, which to me is about your best bang for your buck. Orthos are so much more realistic sounding than anything I've ever heard. I don't know DTs very well, but I think many people will agree with me. Don't worry about how cool headphones look, sound is #1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back