Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #5,746 of 6,432
Quote:
Well I'm definitely not an audiophile. I get how the community is, and I respect that. But I am pretty set on these two. We have one thing in common, however. I despise the beats by dre line. I listen to hip hop, dubsteb, and some rock. I use them casually just to enjoy music, and as much as I hate this part about me... Appearance does matter to me.

Jecklin Float QA.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #5,747 of 6,432
Speaking of Quincy Jones, I've never heard anything more high-end than my Q701, and I literally cannot physically imagine anything sounding more detailed and resolving (though I don't doubt that this is anything more than an illusion from my lack of experience). I think this sort of blissful ignorance helps me with upgrade-itis.
cough..he500...cough.. :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5,748 of 6,432
Anyone that says they don't care about looks is full of crap. It's the level that it matters to people that makes the difference.

To be honest.. i never saw a really bad looking quality headphone ever :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #5,749 of 6,432
Quote:
To be honest.. i never saw a really bad looking quality headphone ever
biggrin.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/298301/jecklin-float-owners-headcount-fuglyphones-owners-unite

Read that...even owners call them "fuglyphones"

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #5,750 of 6,432
Around this time last year, one of my friends purchased 50 $1 IEMs. Of course, throughout the year, each one broke and he replaced it with another one of the 50.

Over the course of the entire year, he ended up going through 47 or 48 of these $1 IEMs. Using basic math, that means each year, he is spending $47-48 on headphones. I convinced him that he would be better off buying a pair of headphones that will last him 4-5 years for $150 or so. After an exhaustive journey, he ended up buying the KRK KNS 8400. It came in about an hour ago and he immediately tried it out.

About five minutes later, I go to ask him whether they work. I tap him on the shoulder, and he spins around on his chair with incredibly wide eyes and his lips parted by a couple of inches. I think his look said it all.

He hasn't talked to me at all since they have arrived, but I guess they do work.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #5,751 of 6,432
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #5,752 of 6,432
Quote:
Well I'm definitely not an audiophile. I get how the community is, and I respect that. But I am pretty set on these two. We have one thing in common, however. I despise the beats by dre line. I listen to hip hop, dubsteb, and some rock. I use them casually just to enjoy music, and as much as I hate this part about me... Appearance does matter to me.

well i guess the monster diamond tears would be the one to pick (as stated earlier too)

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #5,753 of 6,432
Quote:
Bought my first soldering station just a week ago. :D

Have you picked up stuff to start etching your own pcb's yet? Oh and don't forget to plan the workshop for a fume hood for when you start to do paint jobs. 

edit: and a small anechoic chamber for acoustic testing and measurements

Quote:
Build your own CNC. I know people who build one by hand, used that one to build the second version out of tougher materials then finally built the final version with CNC v2 out of steel and aluminium.

As for me, I'm thinking of swapping to a Hakko FX888 solder station for my personal use. Thankfully I have access to the University workshops for heavy work.
regular_smile%20.gif

Now is it actually cheaper to build all three yourself or just buy the one straight away?

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #5,754 of 6,432
If you just buy one, I'm sure it will have a slightly higher WAF factor. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #5,757 of 6,432
Quote:
+1
saw one about a month ago

saw 2 a while ago in australlia during a holiday stay, looks fancy that's for sure (not that classy though)

Jan 3, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #5,758 of 6,432
My 12 year old son, musician (pianist), loves my HD650. We listen to music together very often. Unfortunately during those sessions I have to use my "spare pair" of headphones, HD555, because he refuses to use them
smile.gif
Smart kid with exquisite hearing

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #5,759 of 6,432
I find it odd that, just as I was about to come and post about the Monster DNA, somebody else mentioned them. A friend of mine just bought a pair, and I feel so bad for him. They sound like a muddier HD428, but cost $150 more. They may look nice, but they're truly pathetic headphones.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #5,760 of 6,432
Bass! If anyone is confused why it's so popular, maybe it's something in a persons genetic makeup that makes them think that more bass is better. I'm under the impression that they have studied the effects of bass and the results were bad. But like smoking, people do it anyway. When I went to school in the 80's-90's, everyone cool had woofers and amps in their car. They probably only had stock stereo speakers or cheap 6x9's for highs, which wasn't as important. It's really cool when you're rolling up to wherever and the earth shakes, so they also made things other than woofers that produced earth-shaking noise called bass shaker that took up less space than speakers They were doing insane stuff with woofers back then, even had some incidences in bass competitions where people had their heart stop while sitting in their car with bass blasting. I used to go to the car audio shop and check the prices, and they were pretty high for all ranges of speakers and amps. I got some Polk Audio tweeters with Rockford Fosgate 5.25 speakers and an EQ that pushed 50 watts of crap. It cost me over $600-, but I was out of the stock stereo game and it was good. I had a truck then, so I didn't think a woofer purchase was worth pushing me into the steering wheel to fit them behind my seat. Yeah, my 5.25's or 5 and a 1/4's, bumped a little, but the tweeters were as cool to me. A real competition audio car back then had all the different size speakers including tons of tweeters and mids, so you could hear all the frequencies; and, with most woofers you could feel the frequencies you couldn't hear. But bass was huge in those days, way bigger than it ever needed to be in a car unless you were going to have a block party. I even remember going to Raves in the mid 90's and we saw people who were dancing right up in the speakers, people we called speaker freakers (because it looked like they were freak dancing with the speaker) or speaker tweakers. They have a section at most record stores with bass music too, which I find amusingly funny to play in rush hour traffic on the highway. OK, I had woofers in a couple of my cars along the years. I also had about 6 bass specific type tapes and cds, even though they do play through most of the frequencies: names like Bass Mechanic are about all that come to mind atm. Anyways, I don't really feel like headphones are made for heavy bass and that's why I don't use them for it. To me it just overwhelms small speakers. Maybe orthos can handle it better, but most people with them would never care to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back