Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #5,716 of 6,432
Quote:
Maybe your Dad's hearing isn't as good as it used to be. He may be compensating for some hearing loss.

yes, seems like it

what does he listen to his music through usually
beats? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #5,717 of 6,432
Quote:
Audiophile quality headphones really shouldn't shock and awe the listener. A good headphone will let the music do the shocking and awing. 

Therefor non-audiophiles will not appreciate the difference. For example, I find my Q701 to be pretty much perfect along with a very mild 2db bass boost. I brought them to my fathers house along with my E17 for him to try and he said they sounded fine, but he liked them with about 8db bass added. He also liked them way louder too. I listen at about 25-30 out of 60 with my amp, he was cranking them well into the 40's out of 60. He didn't appreciate the detail or the big soundstage, he just wanted more bass and he wanted them loud. 

Your dad sounds like he likes to rock, lol. You could try taking him down to the local quality audio/video shop and let him hear some nice hi-end home speakers, like the B&W loudspeaker is one that really impressed me when I first started being curious about audio quality. Show him that little speakers can put out big, tight and quality bass. I remember the first time I heard B&W speakers in a showroom, sitting on a plush leather couch. Afterwards I couldn't stop thinking about them, even had dreams about them. And not because they're the best, but because they sound great and look great while still being kinda affordable. Sit him down in front of something like that and he'll start dreaming like I did. Then wait a month without saying anything and bring him a B&W catalog, just to keep it fresh in his mind. He should come around eventually
devil_face.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #5,718 of 6,432
Not sure if anyone of you guys get this from your fellow friends but when i bring my rig to school and tell them its an amp, the first thing that is always asked is "Does that amp boost the bass?" It seems people in my school have the misconception that AMP= more bass. But then again cant blame them 75% of the personal listening equipment used are beats. Though there are a handful of people with westones, shures and my other friend who i convinced him to get customs :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #5,719 of 6,432
Not sure if anyone of you guys get this from your fellow friends but when i bring my rig to school and tell them its an amp, the first thing that is always asked is "Does that amp boost the bass?" It seems people in my school have the misconception that AMP= more bass. But then again cant blame them 75% of the personal listening equipment used are beats. Though there are a handful of people with westones, shures and my other friend who i convinced him to get customs :D

Yeah i agree..most people iknow also think that an amp is only for more bass and have only one other reason..to make u deaf.. :D how wrong they are! :wink:

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #5,720 of 6,432
well the thing is unlike other stuff that becomes more extraodinary as they go higher up the budget tree, headphones are just becoming more 'original' when going up the budget tree. so it is not so easy to notice something so ordinary vs something extraodinary and out of this world.
just my say
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #5,722 of 6,432
I have to concur. Nearly every time a friend auditions my headphones, their experience is underwhelming. They're not used to listening to the details in the music; they expect the headphone to throw it at them in the form of bass blurts and shaking impact. They hear no detail or dimension.

Jan 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #5,723 of 6,432
Quote:
I have to concur. Nearly every time a friend auditions my headphones, their experience is underwhelming. They're not used to listening to the details in the music; they expect the headphone to throw it at them in the form of bass blurts and shaking impact. They hear no detail or dimension.

sometimes its all in their heads..they expect to have bass and so on..and when they dont..they dont look further...only when u show them music they actually heard live and then let them listen to ur quality rig with same music then their mind agree with that they always missed on those BASS beeep!!! (oops) headphones/rigs...they will hear beautiful music...imho ofcourse! but i am weird anyway..lolz

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #5,724 of 6,432
Quote:
sometimes its all in their heads..they expect to have bass and so on..and when they dont..they dont look further...only when u show them music they actually heard live and then let them listen to ur quality rig with same music then their mind agree with that they always missed on those BASS beeep!!! (oops) headphones/rigs...they will hear beautiful music...imho ofcourse! but i am weird anyway..lolz

i believe its for this reason that it can be hard to audition headphones properly in a 30 second or 5 minute audition, since it's the immersion pleasure we look for and not the slap you in face excitement kind of thing. but with training we should be able to recognize the good and the bad more quickly and accurately

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #5,725 of 6,432
Quote:
i believe its for this reason that it can be hard to audition headphones properly in a 30 second or 5 minute audition, since it's the immersion pleasure we look for and not the slap you in face excitement kind of thing. but with training we should be able to recognize the good and the bad more quickly and accurately

+ i agree with this....u do need lots of time to appreciate (or better said) to learn how to like a more higher end phone...most of the 'normal' people dont take the time or just dont have the time or dont have the opportunity to listen. imho..but i agree...u can train urself...allthough ur mind always plays with u.even if ur a pro..
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #5,726 of 6,432
Quote:
+ i agree with this....u do need lots of time to appreciate (or better said) to learn how to like a more higher end phone...most of the 'normal' people dont take the time or just dont have the time or dont have the opportunity to listen. imho..but i agree...u can train urself...allthough ur mind always plays with u.even if ur a pro..
very_evil_smiley.gif

lol yes i fall victim to bias from time to time, especially if the before mentioned price is mentioned
redface.gif
 (or at least have a rough idea of pricing due to brand, model number and appearance) though i try my best to keep the bias out and judge based on memory from headphones of all price ranges that i have had the luxury to audition/own
(edit: typo)

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #5,727 of 6,432
Quote:
lol yes i fall victim to bias from time to time, especially if the before mentioned price is mentioned
redface.gif
 (or at least have a rough idea of pricing due to brand, model number and appearance) though i try my best to keep the bias out and judge based on memory from headphones of all price ranges that i have had the luxory to audition/own

lolz...i know what u mean
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5,728 of 6,432
Quote:
I know..2 years ago i was the same..until a point i got infected by a very addictive and contageous virus...called headphonitis.... Or was it audiofitis.. When u get it..there is no turning back..ever..u will cary that to ur grave..
biggrin.gif

Umm... I think I have this. I do not think I was ever exposed to anyone infectious though. How do we know we have it? and is it really terminal?
My symptoms: 2 years ago I was listening to my $10 Sony ear buds. A co-worker lent me his hd280 headphones (perhaps he was the typhoid-Mary?). I bought my own pair of hd280 headphones a month later, once funds were obtained for that (what I considered at the time to be a pricey) purchase.
Now I find myself watching the for sale forums here and amazon for hd600. And considering my "need" for an amp! Now those both seems like pricey purchases. BUT, I have even caught myself thinking about what a nice lcd2 would sound like. Am I sick? Is there anything to be done? Can I slow the progress of the disease?
I am starting to get scared cause I do not think my insurance is going to cover this! 

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #5,729 of 6,432
Umm... I think I have this. I do not think I was ever exposed to anyone infectious though. How do we know we have it? and is it really terminal?
My symptoms: 2 years ago I was listening to my $10 Sony ear buds. A co-worker lent me his hd280 headphones (perhaps he was the typhoid-Mary?). I bought my own pair of hd280 headphones a month later, once funds were obtained for that (what I considered at the time to be a pricey) purchase.
Now I find myself watching the for sale forums here and amazon for hd600. And considering my "need" for an amp! Now those both seems like pricey purchases. BUT, I have even caught myself thinking about what a nice lcd2 would sound like. Am I sick? Is there anything to be done? Can I slow the progress of the disease?
I am starting to get scared cause I do not think my insurance is going to cover this! 

I am afraid ur infected...the symptoms start small and not to costly :p but then..KABOOM! Before u know it u have a hd800/lcd2/he500 or the sorts or worse! and WITH the right amp/cables to match ofcourse! :D . And.there is no cure found until now am afraid..or it has to be ur loving girlfriend/wife/friend/parents who safes u in time...otherwise just try to cope with it..i do... See u on the other side my friend :wink:

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #5,730 of 6,432
Quote:

Sorry but as time goes by, the infection will grow further until it becomes incurable. Only way to slow it down is to not think too far ahead like "how does an LCD-3 sounds like?" or even "I want to try some STAX SR-009" in which the latter is the most dangerous one if you do try them. It will hunt you forever, a sign that tells you no matter how far you'll go, you'll never reach it. I've tried it and it haunted me. Only way to cure it is to buy a pair of Hifiman HE-500. 
tongue.gif

*sigh* Such an expensive hobby. Sorry wallet and yours too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back