Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Jan 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #5,731 of 6,432
Sorry but as time goes by, the infection will grow further until it because incurable. Only way to slow it down is to not think too far ahead like "how does an LCD-3 sounds like?" or even "I want to try some STAX SR-009" in which the latter is the most dangerous one if you do try them. It will hunt you forever, a sign that tells you no matter how far you'll go, you'll never reach it. I've tried it and it haunted me. Only way to cure it is to buy a pair of Hifiman HE-500. :p
*sigh* Such an expensive hobby. Sorry wallet and yours too.

Yeah maybe the he500 is the only cure..for a while i think..until now my he500 keeps it all under control...but for how long? :xf_eek: my wallet got beaten so much already until now :p
But never forget..u dont walk alone..we on headfi are with u..maybe we can start sort of a AAA help thread for the headfi'ers in need? :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #5,732 of 6,432
Quote:
Yeah maybe the he500 is the only cure..for a while i think..until now my he500 keeps it all under control...but for how long?
redface.gif
my wallet got beaten so much already until now
tongue.gif

But never forget..u dont walk alone..we on headfi are with u..maybe we can start sort of a AAA help thread for the headfi'ers in need?
biggrin.gif

My HE-500 will last a long time but really, having tried the SR-009 you just know that it's the very top of the mountain and that you're not made for it. The only relief I can see is that the HE-500 has the best price to performance ratio of any headphone. I still need an amp that can drive them with justice though...

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #5,733 of 6,432
I took a chance and bought my girlfriend a pair of ER-4ps (at the time one of the best aside from maybe the Shures).  It maybe one of her favorite gifts ever.  best of all -- she says she can't listen to low quality phones anymore.  She even sent the Ety's in to be repaired after they had a bit of a defect in one of the drivers.

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #5,735 of 6,432
My HE-500 will last a long time but really, having tried the SR-009 you just know that it's the very top of the mountain and that you're not made for it. The only relief I can see is that the HE-500 has the best price to performance ratio of any headphone. I still need an amp that can drive them with justice though...

Can i give u a tip? Try the 337 :D perfect pairing with the he500 and ur wallet wont bleed to much :D then find a pair of tung sols 5998's power tubes and a pair of rca's 5693 reds driver tubes and ur in heaven. To my humble ears anyway :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 12:40 PM Post #5,736 of 6,432
Hate to break it you guys but even an 009 won't stop your upgrade-itis. I'm now looking at a speaker rig as well as more expensive sources. D:

Nooooooooooooooo arrrrrrrgggggghhhhhh. Cant....breath...need...air...more...money... :D

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #5,737 of 6,432
Quote:
Hate to break it you guys but even an 009 won't stop your upgrade-itis. I'm now looking at a speaker rig as well as more expensive sources. D:

And then you'll start going into DIY thinking it'd be a good way to save money, except then you spend more money on tools, then buy "spare parts" all the time because "you never know when they'll be handy", then you convert a room into a workshop, then you figure as long as you've got the workshop you might as well pick up that table saw, lathe, and drill press so you can start making casework, then around that point a CNC starts to look like a good investment... 

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #5,738 of 6,432
Bought my first soldering station just a week ago. :D

Quote:

And then you'll start going into DIY thinking it'd be a good way to save money, except then you spend more money on tools, then buy "spare parts" all the time because "you never know when they'll be handy", then you convert a room into a workshop, then you figure as long as you've got the workshop you might as well pick up that table saw, lathe, and drill press so you can start making casework, then around that point a CNC starts to look like a good investment... 

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #5,740 of 6,432
Unless the people we are trying to persuade to consider upgrading their gear really listen to their music, then we can't expect them to hear anything different when listening to better stuff. Every time I try to make my old stuff work for me, I'm listening for flaws like a FLAW HAWK. Then I listen to the same music with a better setup and hear something new in the music that I never noticed before. But this takes time and a love for a specific music/song/album. This type of listening has taken some of us many years. Most people don't understand that $10 headphones probably cost less than $5 to produce, which is either due to good mass production or junk materials. To think people spend the same cost on headphones as a meal at Mc Donalds is crazy to me. I dare all of you to question every purchase as if from an experts position, it's impossible. But in a world where everyone from DRDre to Quincy Jones has their hands in the headphone profits, everyone should naturally assume that they aren't getting what they pay for from their head gear.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #5,741 of 6,432
Quote:

Build your own CNC. I know people who build one by hand, used that one to build the second version out of tougher materials then finally built the final version with CNC v2 out of steel and aluminium.

As for me, I'm thinking of swapping to a Hakko FX888 solder station for my personal use. Thankfully I have access to the University workshops for heavy work.
regular_smile .gif

Should I get the Monster DNA headphones or the Monster Diamond tears headphones?
I consider the Tears to be better than the DNA.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #5,742 of 6,432
But in a world where everyone from DRDre to Quincy Jones has their hands in the headphone profits, everyone should naturally assume that they aren't getting what they pay for from their head gear.

Speaking of Quincy Jones, I've never heard anything more high-end than my Q701, and I literally cannot physically imagine anything sounding more detailed and resolving (though I don't doubt that this is anything more than an illusion from my lack of experience). I think this sort of blissful ignorance helps me with upgrade-itis.

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #5,743 of 6,432
Quote:
Should I get the Monster DNA headphones or the Monster Diamond tears headphones?

it depends, personally i don't think these would be the preferred options for me (and the head-fi community)
so i guess the answer is neither. if you state more details
1.genre(s) of music you listen to
2.type of usage (home use, outdoor use, bus,plane,school etc)
3.how much importance do you place on appearance

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #5,744 of 6,432
Well I'm definitely not an audiophile. I get how the community is, and I respect that. But I am pretty set on these two. We have one thing in common, however. I despise the beats by dre line. I listen to hip hop, dubsteb, and some rock. I use them casually just to enjoy music, and as much as I hate this part about me... Appearance does matter to me.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #5,745 of 6,432
Well I'm definitely not an audiophile. I get how the community is, and I respect that. But I am pretty set on these two. We have one thing in common, however. I despise the beats by dre line. I listen to hip hop, dubsteb, and some rock. I use them casually just to enjoy music, and as much as I hate this part about me... Appearance does matter to me.

Anyone that says they don't care about looks is full of crap. It's the level that it matters to people that makes the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back