Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #5,536 of 6,432
so in school, here we're following what is called the BYOD policy, which is using your very own devices to school for educational reasons.

but anyways i had my simple unamped Bass Rig on me (iPod 4th Gen, Sony Xb500)

but there is this freshman girl who wanted to use my Sony XB500's since she said she didnt have her iBuds.

Her reaction was:
Wooah, These woah.
They are good, no soo good
the bass is like.. yooo
dude guys these are like, better than Beats man.

so then she asked me how much i got them, and i said they were a belated birthday gift, and was only around 70$
she was amazed that they costed so low, she said she thought they'd be like 100 or 200$ or something.

although, i feel happy. I at least finally got someone to have a listen with my equipment, and appreciate it

Can u imagine how she would react if u let her listen to a he500 or something, she would want to be ur girlfriend immediately :D

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #5,538 of 6,432
Just about an hour ago, a group of my colleagues was talking about all of their style IEMs and how great they sounded, and in addition about the Beats Studios worn by one. One has a pair of Skullcandys, one has a $50ish V-Moda, and the other owns the Beats. A fourth party to the conversation knew of my obsession, and could see me mentally cringing in a corner of the room. I had her give a listen to my S4i for about a minute (Barenaked Ladies) after she'd listened to everyone else's cans and she simply said that they were miles clearer than the others. They all then tried in turn. Luckily I had an extra pair of tips on them at the time.

This sparked interest, and now some of them have Head-Fi written down on a piece of paper...

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #5,540 of 6,432
I played my HE-400s plugged into an M-stage and ODAC for my sister, she said she didn't notice much of a difference from my Sennheiser HD 280 pro plugged into her laptop! I admit I didn't use the best recording, but still, there's a huge price gap there! My dad on the other hand appreciated the sound quality.

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,541 of 6,432
I played my HE-400s plugged into an M-stage and ODAC for my sister, she said she didn't notice much of a difference from my Sennheiser HD 280 pro plugged into her laptop! I admit I didn't use the best recording, but still, there's a huge price gap there! My dad on the other hand appreciated the sound quality.

Imho u can only hear differences between those two if u start listening to at least flac lossles files..as for sure she will then appreciate the he400 more... :D

Dec 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #5,542 of 6,432
Quote:
Imho u can only hear differences between those two if u start listening to at least flac lossles files..as for sure she will then appreciate the he400 more...
biggrin.gif

You need to understand that the HD 280 pro are terrible sounding lol. But yeah the track is to blame here.

I redeemed myself later on by playing her a lossless recording from Phutureprimitive's Sub Concious album, her eyes lit up. The album sounds absolutely fantastic on the HE-400s btw

Dec 14, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #5,543 of 6,432
Quote:
Imho u can only hear differences between those two if u start listening to at least flac lossles files..as for sure she will then appreciate the he400 more...
biggrin.gif

You're going from a closed to open headphone, with very different frequency responses. Playing flac shouldn't make the difference there. Even a poorly encoded song should be enough to reveal a headphone's signature. The choice of song though, and recording quality (not encoding quality) makes the bigger difference in differentiating headphones. 

Dec 14, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #5,544 of 6,432
Quote:
so in school, here we're following what is called the BYOD policy, which is using your very own devices to school for educational reasons.

but anyways i had my simple unamped Bass Rig on me (iPod 4th Gen, Sony Xb500)

but there is this freshman girl who wanted to use my Sony XB500's since she said she didnt have her iBuds.

Her reaction was:
Wooah, These woah.
They are good, no soo good
the bass is like.. yooo
dude guys these are like, better than Beats man.

so then she asked me how much i got them, and i said they were a belated birthday gift, and was only around 70$
she was amazed that they costed so low, she said she thought they'd be like 100 or 200$ or something.

although, i feel happy. I at least finally got someone to have a listen with my equipment, and appreciate it

I find this funny because the xb500 are worth what they cost(mayble a little more) and she thought that they would be worth at least double that amount. Beats really messed with the non audiophiles in terms of what high tier can can sound like. I pair of audiophile cans in the 200 dollar catagory may sound like they are worth 400 to the average beats consumer.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5,545 of 6,432
Let my mom listen to my newly acquired he-300. She was on the whole impressed. I don't think she'll be complaining when I spend big money (imo) on audio-related toys anymore 
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #5,546 of 6,432
Quote:
Let my mom listen to my newly acquired he-300. She was on the whole impressed. I don't think she'll be complaining when I spend big money (imo) on audio-related toys anymore 
biggrin.gif

My mom incouraged me to buy the HE-500 for a good price after hearing the HE-400 
eek.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #5,547 of 6,432
My mom incouraged me to buy the HE-500 for a good price after hearing the HE-400 :eek:

Ur mom is one in a million :D wish i had a mum like urs..oh hell.. i even wished my wife would be like her..lolz :wink:

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #5,548 of 6,432
I generally am referred to as a hipster because of the amount of music that I have and my audio set up, which really is just an amp with some old speakers from the 50's and a pair of HD 555s and Koss Pro4AA.

Eventually, most of my friends do come to my side and I give them music. The last time anyone had a reaction to my phones was my one friend who said she "could hear everything and was surrounded by it." I laughed and said that's called sound stage.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #5,549 of 6,432
Quote:
I generally am referred to as a hipster because of the amount of music that I have and my audio set up, which really is just an amp with some old speakers from the 50's and a pair of HD 555s and Koss Pro4AA.
Eventually, most of my friends do come to my side and I give them music. The last time anyone had a reaction to my phones was my one friend who said she "could hear everything and was surrounded by it." I laughed and said that's called sound stage.

I am labeled as a hipster all the time (though I despise the label) because I have a vinyl setup and my music tastes seem to reflect somebody with multiple personality disorder (and each personality, in turn, seems to be sociopathic). Eventually most of my friends come around, however, being sane people, and I'm currently missing about 3% of my vast music collection because I've lent it out. Some of my friends have fallen in love with the likes of Mates of State, Chewing on Tinfoil, Sigur Ros, Horse Feathers, and more (all of which have extremely different sounds) because of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back