Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #5,491 of 6,432
Quote:
I feel like its just like the Matrix people live there lives Being fooled by companies like beats and Bose and never take the "blue pill" and open there eyes to the world of audiophile headphones, just ranting

Trust me, that's how all self-proclaimed "audiophiles" get by; even though some headphones are objectively better than others, the margin of difference is small. Beats and Bose don't actually make bad headphones... people just don't like conformity; if said headphones weren't available in Wal-Mart and BestBuy, and everybody didn't know of them, they would be raved about like Grado and the others. Actually, most of the people here have never owned or even listened to Bose or Beats headphones but they still go on about how bad they are... because other people have gone on about how bad they are, and these people want to fit in.

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #5,492 of 6,432
Quote:

Trust me, that's how all self-proclaimed "audiophiles" get by; even though some headphones are objectively better than others, the margin of difference is small. Beats and Bose don't actually make bad headphones... people just don't like conformity; if said headphones weren't available in Wal-Mart and BestBuy, and everybody didn't know of them, they would be raved about like Grado and the others. Actually, most of the people here have never owned or even listened to Bose or Beats headphones but they still go on about how bad they are... because other people have gone on about how bad they are, and these people want to fit in.

sorry to get into this matter...but i did own a bose in ear phone...actually a side in ear phone..it didnt go in all the way...and before i heared a q-jays i thought it was best sounding set i had...i loved bose...and i never said they are bad...quality is pretty good...but if u compare them to a lets say a hifiman,q-jays or westone (my experience) or any other (considered) more audiophile brand intended..then u must admit that u miss out a lot..but i have to admit..i know a few people who only want bass..no matter how bad it sounds...or want one because how good it looks or whether others have it so its considered cool...but i have to admit..there are lots of so called 'audiophiles' around who really tear down bose or beats but never ever got close to any one of them...in my eyes they are as wrong as the ones who buy phones for the wrong reasons...ofcourse u always have a group who just dont have the money to spare to buy a good headphone..and i respect that! but then again..Bose and the kind as just as expensive and sometimes even more expensive then better sounding siblings from other brands...

i deeply believe if u never listened to a certain phone or own(ed) one u just have to stay out of discussions about those headphones..whether high-end or otherwise...but ofcourse its my personal opinion.. as always..
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #5,493 of 6,432
Quote:

i get what your saying, what i meant by it was that they havent had that "morpheous" (excuse the spelling) kind of person come to them and offer them the truth being there are better cans for the price that they are paying all they know is the bose and beats (because of extensive marketing) just like the people on matrix all they know is that fake world, if that makes any sense?

Dec 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #5,495 of 6,432
Quote:

Did you know 85 percent of all statistics are made up? =)

at least some of us can justify our statements.
and thats how PROPER debates are done, thru justified statements

Dec 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5,497 of 6,432
Quote:

I would not call myself an audiophile but I have for a long time been listening to Bose QC series and have vouched and recommended them to my pals until one of them made me try out a Grado SR 325i. I judged from what I heard that the Grados despite their appearance, lack of advertising and difficulty for getting them (people in most audio stores say "eh? What? Get these Beats they are the BEST -- the white ones sound better.") were worth much more than the $ 300 price tag and the Bose I've been pushing probably sound only marginally better than my $ 30 AKGs. I was floored when I got my SR80i -- that great sound for a $ 100.  I started recommending them to my friends and one of them actually tried to convert me to Beats tours...I gave those away after owning and listening to them for a good hour. 

I also tried the more expensive Beats in the store and they have hidden amplifiers at the kiosk -- I felt like Dr. Dre was trying to rip me off.  Bose is just as guilty and their store managers are NOT audiophiles -- the four that I spoke with have never even heard of FLAC or lossless. Furthermore, they always quote the SAME things like they were part of an audio cult reciting mantras or pretty thick Carabao crap.  

I'd like to say my SR80i is not "marginally" better than any Bose and Beats device I've tried but I will tell you that it's like driving your Honda Civic and driving a Ferrari F40 for a month.  Once you drive the Ferrari, could you ever go back to driving your Civic? Yes they are that far apart.  Introduce even just the cheapest Fiio E3 into your system and the gulf widens some more.  I would have payed $ 200 for the SR80i if I wasn't aware of the price.

I currently own an AKG K44, Sennheiser HD 25, Sennheiser HD 25 SP II, Grado SR 80i, SR 225i and 325is.  The 225i gets the most use for guitars, the 325i for music, the 80i for gaming and music.  The HD 25 for trips.  All of these were funded in part by the sales of a collection of gently used Bose QC series headphones.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #5,498 of 6,432
As a 15 year old audiophile I look extremely goofy walking around school carrying my dt770's and my fiio. The looks i get from teachers and students alike are hilarius. I also got a chance to compare them directly to the beats solo's. The non-audiophiles were amazed at the difference in quality of the bass of my unamped dt770's. I was actually surprised to hear that they actually agreed that my cans stoped the beats. Every once in a while though you do get people who are too stuborn to admit that they've wasted money and call me stupid and my headphones trash.

Think exactly the same thing but your 17 with a AKG K 550 + braided 9ft cable, Fiio E17 Alpen and a digitoid Zo (which I use occasionally). People just stare sometimes, it gets pretty funny.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #5,500 of 6,432
Quote:
Are we all young here? I'm 14, you're 17, he's 15; who else is a minor?

i will be for the next 2 months. ive read posts that say the average head fier is around 30 or so, but these days i dont think that is necessarily accurate.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #5,501 of 6,432
With more companies marketing headphones towards people of younger ages, the general age level of HF is decreasing from what I can see. The omnipresent marketing, everywhere we go, attracts people searching for better deals than Beats. I am one of those people who was pulled in by the search for something cheaper (and better) than Beats.

If there's one thing we can thank those companies for, its exposing parts of a generation to hifi.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #5,502 of 6,432
Quote:
Are we all young here? I'm 14, you're 17, he's 15; who else is a minor?

well..i am all u three summed  together -1 
eek.gif
so  cant consider me a minor..or it would be because i act like one sometimes
very_evil_smiley.gif
but seriously..what i do see is that when u get older u start to apreciate music differently..when i was younger i loved BIG BIG bass.in my first car i had an installation more exensive then the car itself with 2 enourmous subwoofers and 3 amps with a total of 1600 watts,,,our neighbour hated me as i could make his windows tremble with the bass my car made.when i parkered next to his house,.lolz...but now i prefer the sound of my hifiman he500..a more balanced sound...thats why i think the age is higher here then ur average wii or sony playstation forum..lolz...we are a bit more matured in our listening and have a bit more to spend..or better said.willing to spend...when ur young u dont think of listening at music at night for hours..nooooo..u spend money on different things...u go out, go after girls, have drinks (non alcoholic ofcourse as ur a minor..
very_evil_smiley.gif
), dance, race (but safe ofcourse..lolz) with ur car/scooter/bike/motorcycle, study ur butts off and hate ur exams..thats what 14-15-17 year olds do..i mean thats what i did
tongue_smile.gif

well.. get my point?...and honestly..although the age differences are bigger here then on other forums(except for the bingo/flower power forums ofcourse..they all are old!) i think all get well together..as the base..listening to music is the same to all...young and less young
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:41 AM Post #5,503 of 6,432
well im 17 and i only like subbass,(aka tight bass) i hate bloated bass, my friend who is also 17 is a treblehead and actually dials down the bass knob on his speakers, and has a SRH940

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #5,504 of 6,432
Quote:
well im 17 and i only like subbass,(aka tight bass) i hate bloated bass, my friend who is also 17 is a treblehead and actually dials down the bass knob on his speakers, and has a SRH940

Subbass isn't the same as tight bass at all. Subbass is the very low and hardly audible frequencies of the bass. It interprets to the subtle rumble of the bass. The punch of the bass is mostly found in the midbass

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #5,505 of 6,432
Quote:
well..i am all u three summed  together -1 
eek.gif
so  cant consider me a minor..or it would be because i act like one sometimes
very_evil_smiley.gif
but seriously..what i do see is that when u get older u start to apreciate music differently..when i was younger i loved BIG BIG bass.in my first car i had an installation more exensive then the car itself with 2 enourmous subwoofers and 3 amps with a total of 1600 watts,,,our neighbour hated me as i could make his windows tremble with the bass my car made.when i parkered next to his house,.lolz...but now i prefer the sound of my hifiman he500..a more balanced sound...thats why i think the age is higher here then ur average wii or sony playstation forum..lolz...we are a bit more matured in our listening and have a bit more to spend..or better said.willing to spend...when ur young u dont think of listening at music at night for hours..nooooo..u spend money on different things...u go out, go after girls, have drinks (non alcoholic ofcourse as ur a minor..
very_evil_smiley.gif
), dance, race (but safe ofcourse..lolz) with ur car/scooter/bike/motorcycle, study ur butts off and hate ur exams..thats what 14-15-17 year olds do..i mean thats what i did
tongue_smile.gif

well.. get my point?...and honestly..although the age differences are bigger here then on other forums(except for the bingo/flower power forums ofcourse..they all are old!) i think all get well together..as the base..listening to music is the same to all...young and less young
biggrin.gif

Not funny to be a 'minor' wanting to spend the money on good audio. Better go get another job
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back