Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Dec 8, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #5,461 of 6,432
Quote:
I honestly think non-audiophiles don't care about your expensive headphone systems because it takes a long time to adjust your brain (and ears) to a particular sound; spend a week listening to Beats by Dre and then go to your Audeze LCD-2 or Sennheiser HD800 or HiFiMan HE-6 and you will think the Beats are better... I'm serious, you will! Then spend a week listening to nothing but those latter headphones and when you try out your Beats again you will think "how in the hell did I ever actually think these crappy things were better".

People often talk about headphone "burn-in" and I actually believe it is NOT a myth (there's actually scientific proof); however, brain burn-in plays a far more significant role in how we experience sound. Hearing is a sense like any other -- walk into a stinky room and soon you will no longer smell anything, but it isn't because the smell is gone. Once you get used to peaks in a frequency spectrum, those peaks lower to be more in line with the trophs... this makes sound more natural.

Unfortunately, your friends don't hear what the fuss is about; they just think you wasted $1000

its all a placebo effect some people get when they "try" to get analytical with the sound of their equipment.

i've noticed your statement from switching Sony XB500's which are very bass-mongering

and my Grado SR80i's. it feels weird adjusting back to the Grado sound after getting myself used to the XB500's.

and for people to make statements for "the best/ better headphone by sound"
is all a personal preference really. finding some ground in terms of which sound-preference you like can be a hard thing to come across for many budding audiophiles like me.
either like lots of bass as a Basshead, analytical sound, neutral sound, etc

but everyone loves music, and for the rest of the general public that dont take hi-end audio seriously like WE do want a good sounding headphone for low cost with good durability.
and some that are interested want to know that what they are buying is worth it.

you have companies like Gradolabs, run by John Grado who thinks "Not everyone likes the Grado House Sound, if you dont like it then so be it"
and you have Beatsaudio/MonsterCable that want to tell you "that you'll get your money's worth for the *best* headphones"

^sorta branched out the convo a bit....

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #5,463 of 6,432
Quote:
"Dre Beats look so much better than those wooden things"
lol

sooo...and maybe i am a bit simple..so u buy headphones because they look good and not because they sound good? mmmm i have to get those kind of ears also...as u must have the most special ears in the world then
biggrin.gif
i am just kidding ofcourse...but seriously...u would consider buying a headphone over another just by its appearances? if so..why are u on this thread anyway? its about high end phones..and how they sound..i mean..thats what i understand...
but nevertheless this is food for thought..as to be honest when i see outside i see young people on school yards having dr. dre's and the sort on their necks not connected on their ipods
confused.gif
..some even have the cable disconnected
eek.gif
..is this some kind of necklace thingie? like a badera on ur head or a hood on ur jacket u never use? some fashion thingie? dont get me wrong..i respect ur thinking..as hey..we are all here as headphones is our hobby right?..as with cars..some like aero's others sti's and again others evo's or even r32's or gt-r's or maranellos and so on..lolz...but they all like cars

so pls dont be offended i am just curious how anyone can spend a pretty amount of money just because of the appearance of the phone and sometimes almost not using it but just as a fashion statement...but am sure u can explain that..
smily_headphones1.gif

once again..i am just curious why u said that...

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5,464 of 6,432
Quote:
sooo...and maybe i am a bit simple..so u buy headphones because they look good and not because they sound good? mmmm i have to get those kind of ears also...as u must have the most special ears in the world then
biggrin.gif
i am just kidding ofcourse...but seriously...u would consider buying a headphone over another just by its appearances? if so..why are u on this thread anyway? its about high end phones..and how they sound..i mean..thats what i understand...
but nevertheless this is food for thought..as to be honest when i see outside i see young people on school yards having dr. dre's and the sort on their necks not connected on their ipods
confused.gif
..some even have the cable disconnected
eek.gif
..is this some kind of necklace thingie? like a badera on ur head or a hood on ur jacket u never use? some fashion thingie? dont get me wrong..i respect ur thinking..as hey..we are all here as headphones is our hobby right?..as with cars..some like aero's others sti's and again others evo's or even r32's or gt-r's or maranellos and so on..lolz...but they all like cars

so pls dont be offended i am just curious how anyone can spend a pretty amount of money just because of the appearance of the phone and sometimes almost not using it but just as a fashion statement...but am sure u can explain that..
smily_headphones1.gif

once again..i am just curious why u said that...

lol can't you see he was quoting someone? he was stating it was someone elses comment. and it is clearly not his opinion/statement

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5,466 of 6,432
Quote:
Thank you streetdragon for understanding. I was quoting my friend who has 4 products from Monster. I have none. I know better.

ya welcome
and holy ommaigod- that is.... unbelievable.... 4?? and i thought 1 was bad enough already. he must have absolutely no idea what he is missing out on

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #5,467 of 6,432
Quote:
lol can't you see he was quoting someone? he was stating it was someone elses comment. and it is clearly not his opinion/statement

oops sorry..my bad...didnt see the quoting thingies..overread them..but still..can u believe that anybody think like that and spend hundreds of dollars on a headphone(s) just for the looks of it? or because it has heavy bass.like:..'yeah man, the bass is so heavy i cant hear anything anymore for an hour after taking them out of my ears' heavy huh?' quote quote ..lolz..!!

and my apologies to u..i wasnt trying to be mean or something... just i know also from experience that people think like that...so i was just curious why...dont u?
4? ru sure? those are 'bassmonsters' or something right? with some kind of bass-enlargers inside? pls correct me if i am wrong..but u will see..when he gets older he changes...

like me..i used to use bose (cough cough) in-ear noise cancelling
eek.gif
phones (expensive!) and they always fell out of my ears while walking fast.....but still i kept them 2 years as they were BOSE.and therefore COOL.lolz! can u imagine that? only when  somebody stole them...(until now i dont know which poor taste guy who stole it...lolz)....i got myself a pair of q-jays...and there the beginning of the end of my wallet began..lolz...see what it let me to...lolz..and its not over yet!
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #5,468 of 6,432

Quote:
ya welcome
and holy ommaigod- that is.... unbelievable.... 4?? and i thought 1 was bad enough already. he must have absolutely no idea what he is missing out on

Yeah... he's the guy that wears 2-grand tuxes to school whenever he feels like it, and his dad owns a Maybach
Quote:
oops sorry..my bad...didnt see the quoting thingies..overread them..but still..can u believe that anybody think like that and spend hundreds of dollars on a headphone just for the looks of it?
and my apologies to u..i wasnt trying to be mean or something... just know also from experience that people think like that...so i was just curious why...dont u?

no worries brother. yes, and i wonder why i'm still friends with him every now and then xD

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #5,469 of 6,432
Quote:
Yeah... he's the guy that wears 2-grand tuxes to school whenever he feels like it, and his dad owns a Maybach
no worries brother. yes, and i wonder why i'm still friends with him every now and then xD

a maybach? thats one of those uber-expensive huge and ugly (in my eyes) mercedes-made luxury cars right? i even heard it has a glass roof that can darken by a button and make it clear again with same button.just like a figher plane can..but hey...for almost a million u can demand those kind of things.lolz.....i once saw one..i dont have a small car myself..but damn..i felt as if i was driving an orginal mini from the sixties next to it on the highway..lolz..

u get big expensive christmas presents from him maybe? lolz kidding!!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5,470 of 6,432
Quote:
a maybach? thats one of those uber-expensive huge and ugly (in my eyes) mercedes-made luxury cars right? i even heard it has a glass roof that can darken by a button and make it clear again with same button.just like a figher plane can..but hey...for almost a million u can demand those kind of things.lolz.....i once saw one..i dont have a small car myself..but damn..i felt as if i was driving an orginal mini from the sixties next to it on the highway..lolz..

u get big expensive christmas presents from him maybe? lolz kidding!!!
biggrin.gif

I, for one (sorry to derail the thread), actually enjoy Maybach. I enjoy its history and seeing the classics at Concours events, and I even like what M-B did with the brand when it launched the 57 and 62 a few years back. I would prefer a 57S to a Rolls-Royce Ghost, and the 62 Landaulet to the R-R Phantom Drophead.

My most enduring memory of the Maybach brand is being passed at once by a duo of magazine reporters, one in a mid-Thirties beauty and the other in a 57S, doing over 100 MPH just outside of Chicago. They always seemed to have a touch more class than the over-the-top, rapper- and huge-wheel-friendly Phantom, and with the exception of a few notable examples their clientelle seemed to reflect that.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #5,471 of 6,432
Haha, I only know that I like expensive cars. But our current Benz is good enough. After all, we're not CEOs, are we.
hifimanrookie, do you have anything to say about hifimans (hifimen)? I listen to hip-hop/r&b, and i'm looking at the he400 for home use. watching movies, listening to music, producing, etc. i'll most likely get a akg tiesto k167 for portable use, btw.

Dec 9, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #5,472 of 6,432
well you'll be surprised how many people judge headphones purely by looks/isolation/price alone. (each one seperate) kind of like us except we judge it by audio quality in its class. (closed, open, portable, home use)

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #5,474 of 6,432
ahh im not sure lol, i havn't had a chance to hear the HE-500 and DT880 before, so i cant compare sorry. 
also the MS1i should be inferior to the HE500 and DT880 based on my guessing. afterall it is inferior to the HD558. mainly soundstage though and a little of the vocals, but other aspects are about on par or really close (they are a lot cheaper than the HE500 and DT880 too)

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #5,475 of 6,432
Quote:
Wow, you have the MS-1. Are Grados any good for hip-hop/r&b at home? (Compare to hifiman he500 and beyer dt880)

What if i tell you that the HE-500 is a hybrid between Senn HD650 and Beyer DT880?, it have the HD650 bass (much faster on PRaT on the HE-500), have the DT880 transparencies, and have a very good staging. So i guess you got the idea which one is more suit for hip-hop/r&b/dubstep

Users who are viewing this thread

Back