Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones
Mar 17, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #1,501 of 6,432
I had a group of around 5/6 friends trying my ESW9s in a circle.
Only 1 of them could tell the difference, while the others said 'Oh there's more bass!' or 'The Beats are better.' or 'They sound the same as my earbuds.'
*sigh*

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #1,503 of 6,432
Or start to think you belong in a loony bin for spending alot on headphones.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:59 AM Post #1,505 of 6,432
It's probably better to let them try their own music with your gear hear the difference, otherwise it would be unfair to the audiophile equipment that you have as they can't directly compare what they are used to and the new sensation.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #1,507 of 6,432
I can't stand the "my earbuds sound the same" response.  I'm sure a few of us are loony and think we can hear differences that aren't actually there (suggestion is a huge influence) but unless you have some yuin ear buds, i doubt they sound as good as any of the headphones I use.

Mar 17, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #1,508 of 6,432
Heh, we must all be loony!

Quote:
I can't stand the "my earbuds sound the same" response.  I'm sure a few of us are loony and think we can hear differences that aren't actually there (suggestion is a huge influence) but unless you have some yuin ear buds, i doubt they sound as good as any of the headphones I use.

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,509 of 6,432
A friend of mine has those gummy ear buds and i let him try my shure headphones. he took them off after a few minutes and said they sound the same as his gummys. for those wondering this was when i had the shure srh750dj's. i know how bad the gummy's sound so why do people seriously think they sound the same. is it possible that we make ourselves think higher end sounds better because of how much we spend on it? or was he just an ignorant fool and most likely deaf?

Mar 17, 2011 at 3:23 PM Post #1,510 of 6,432
Either he didnt want you to know that he liked your headphones or he is tone deaf.

Mar 17, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,511 of 6,432
See the thing is with headphones to the inexperienced ear you don't hear much of a difference when listening to better headphones. Ill be honest. When I first got my m50s, I couldn't hear a difference between them and my m6. Only after a while, a few hours maybe, then I started to hear the difference when moving back to the m6. Same thing goes for HD TVs. When you first use a component cable and then switch to HDMI you don't really see a difference but after a while when you switch back, the difference is huge. Listening to headphones for a few minutes isn't enough to truly judge a headphone unless you have a "golden ear". You have to get accustomed to how it sounds,its strengths and weaknesses and then you can judge it. That's why I barely ever let my friends try out my headphones anymore and if I ever do I just turn up the bass on the eq because that really the only difference most people look for. At least with the bass turned up you get compliments like "the bass on this is sick just like beats" instead of "lol these suck there's like no bass, you should have gotten beats, you got ripped off bro."

Mar 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #1,513 of 6,432

Quote:
See the thing is with headphones to the inexperienced ear you don't hear much of a difference when listening to better headphones. Ill be honest. When I first got my m50s, I couldn't hear a difference between them and my m6. Only after a while, a few hours maybe, then I started to hear the difference when moving back to the m6. Same thing goes for HD TVs. When you first use a component cable and then switch to HDMI you don't really see a difference but after a while when you switch back, the difference is huge. Listening to headphones for a few minutes isn't enough to truly judge a headphone unless you have a "golden ear". You have to get accustomed to how it sounds,its strengths and weaknesses and then you can judge it. That's why I barely ever let my friends try out my headphones anymore and if I ever do I just turn up the bass on the eq because that really the only difference most people look for. At least with the bass turned up you get compliments like "the bass on this is sick just like beats" instead of "lol these suck there's like no bass, you should have gotten beats, you got ripped off bro."

It's kind of sad how this works. I mean, it seems like headphones only get worse, not better. If we can't even tell a difference between the old and new, except the old starts to sound worse after a while, why bother upgrading? I guess this is why people get upgrad-itis - they want their fix of awesome sound until it goes away. lol

That happened to me, when I switched from my NE-6 to k240 I couldn't tell a difference except in soundstage and some micro-details in the highs. The NE-6 was an immediately noticeable big improvement over the ibuds, however.

Mar 17, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #1,514 of 6,432
I let my mother listen to my M50s from my Galaxy S phone last weekend and this was her respond after she completed listening to the song "It's amazing how such a small device can have such a big sound." I guess the headphones did play their part but she was actually more impressed with that my phone could play mp3s and drive the headphones.
tongue.gif

Mar 17, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #1,515 of 6,432
Quote:
I let my mother listen to my M50s from my Galaxy S phone last weekend and this was her respond after she completed listening to the song "It's amazing how such a small device can have such a big sound." I guess the headphones did play their part but she was actually more impressed with that my phone could play mp3s and drive the headphones.
tongue.gif

Should whip out the Clip+ on the next victim
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back