Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Sep 30, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #35,551 of 36,116
As far as I can remember the OG Ragnar, the Prestige Ragnar is not warmer, just little smoother on the top and the bass seems to be more physical sometimes. The most noticeable difference is much better fit and comfort with the Prestige version. The shells are light and small, the longer stems keep them steady in my ears.

I also don’t use the stock cable at all. PWA Orphy, 1950s Shielding or EA Chiron are amazing and non-fatiguing pairings. Orphy rules them all! :)

Sep 30, 2023 at 5:50 PM Post #35,552 of 36,116
I was mesmerised the first time I heard Ragnar, still am to this day. Running it stock (deep insertion) on a SP3000, sublime!

Sep 30, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #35,553 of 36,116
And to be honest, I don’t love it with the stock cable. But with the right source and cable, it’s fantastic. I typically use it with Tsuranagi + Orpheus, both of which warm it up.
Exactly!

I found the pairing with First Times really great and never too bright or hot.

I agree, I have tried quite a lot cable pairings with Viking Prestige and eventually settled at PW First Times Shielding. I found this pairing preserves the technicalities and energy, and provides a little bit of warmth. The Orpheus Shielding and Meet Agains pairings are just not my cup of tea, both of them changed the sound signature quite a bit, maybe better for vocals, but not the case for me as I always use my Viking Prestige mainly for classical/ OST music.

The best chain for me on Viking Prestige is - P6Pro + C9 (In Pre-mode) + First Times Shielding :gs1000smile:

Well I did say “other than the size/shape” :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a little tempted to sell my Ragnar in favor of a Ragnar Prestige, since a Ragnar with a slightly more relaxed top end sounds perfect to me.
I have done exactly the same thing and never regret! :L3000:

Sep 30, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #35,554 of 36,116
I was mesmerised the first time I heard Ragnar, still am to this day. Running it stock (deep insertion) on a SP3000, sublime!
Ragnar is the first IEM that I’ve been 100% satisfied with in stock form.

Fit is perfect for my ears, and although the Prestige looks amazing, I’m still so mesmerized by the regular version that I don’t feel I need to change anything up.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #35,558 of 36,116
I just try to get as much info as i can and make the most educated purchase i can.
It's worth absolutely nothing if you don't have any chance to listen first, but without having any demo options myself about 2 years ago I bought a top dog in the 2k league (U12t), then couldn't stand it and sold it with a loss.

Again: Not everyone has the chance to demo, but if you can have a set sent to you for that purpose then it may be a good investment despite the logistical trouble and costs.

drftr

Oct 1, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #35,560 of 36,116
It's worth absolutely nothing if you don't have any chance to listen first, but without having any demo options myself about 2 years ago I bought a top dog in the 2k league (U12t), then couldn't stand it and sold it with a loss.

Again: Not everyone has the chance to demo, but if you can have a set sent to you for that purpose then it may be a good investment despite the logistical trouble and costs.

drftr
And to add to that its not some balanced safe tuning.
It basically impressed me with its engagement factor and it did it right after i tried Ragnar(which i liked a lot too).
I liked its imaging and i liked its bass. It s not a detail monster however. The Kublai Khan i have is more refined and more mature. Spartacus is all about fun and always required my attention.
Excellent fit and isolation with that kind of tuning is excellent option scouring London underground while tapping your foot.
But im not sure what to think of its treble yet. Probably will still buy it to spend some time and assess, and just let it go if it turns out not what i need.

I am not sure if i could recommend it as an all-rounder. At least based on my short time with it.

Oct 1, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #35,561 of 36,116
And to add to that its not some balanced safe tuning.
It basically impressed me with its engagement factor and it did it right after i tried Ragnar(which i liked a lot too).
I liked its imaging and i liked its bass. It s not a detail monster however. The Kublai Khan i have is more refined and more mature. Spartacus is all about fun and always required my attention.
Excellent fit and isolation with that kind of tuning is excellent option scouring London underground while tapping your foot.
But im not sure what to think of its treble yet. Probably will still buy it to spend some time and assess, and just let it go if it turns out not what i need.

I am not sure if i could recommend it as an all-rounder. At least based on my short time with it.
I’m looking for a toe tapper. And KK’s treble was too hot for me for more than 20 minutes. The Mentawai is my favorite set of all time so I’m good for god tier.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #35,562 of 36,116
NspartIMG_0187.jpg

My first Noble iem, super quick delivery from Music Teck. If you know me, I like full analogue warm sound with a decent headstage. Spartacus first caught my attention when I saw they were using Sonion amature drivers. They also mention on the product page its easy to drive which i prefer. I've enjoyed Penon Sonion drivers from iems like Penon Impact, Penon Globe, and ISN EST50. To me Spartacus is kind of a grown up Impact. It's just more mature and has more meat on the bone. Despite the hefty sound from Spartacus, I'm really enjoying the treble too. It has that knack for providing a sparkle without overdoing it.

The stock cable is soft and easy to handle. I think I'll stick with it for a while before I cable roll. Using the Large tips with red caps gives me a custom like fit similar to my custom Campfire Supermoon. Spartacus feels really secure in my ear and fills nicely. I used a number of daps including DX312, Fiio M15, and Shanling M8. But the early winner for best synergy with Sparticus is the A&K SR25 MkII.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:56 PM Post #35,564 of 36,116
Thanks so much ychange!

How would describe the mids?

Dynamics?

Would you describe it as overall lush but with a nice bit of air and sparkle?

And bass. Is it bass lite or just not a cannon?

Thanks for your posts and thoughts! And photo. Its stunnig!
Mids are engaging. The notes feel appropriately sized which may be contributing to a more perceived dynamic sound.

The sound is lush but doesn't sound cramped in any way. It has enough treble/sparkle for me which may not be adequate for someone who prefers est treble. I could live with the est treble from the Penon Impact, but I didn't love it. In fact I tried to find tips and sources that calmed the est treble down. Spartacus is off to an early success in its stock form.

This is not a bass canon to me. The EE LX which I listened to for 5 minutes this weekend in comparison is more bassy. The bass would be more similar to the custom custom CA Supermoon. I think Spartacus is displaying denser bass notes while still remaining in line with the recording.

Oct 1, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #35,565 of 36,116
Mids are engaging. The notes feel appropriately sized which may be contributing to a more perceived dynamic sound.

The sound is lush but doesn't sound cramped in any way. It has enough treble/sparkle for me which may not be adequate for someone who prefers est treble. I could live with the est treble from the Penon Impact, but I didn't love it. In fact I tried to find tips and sources that calmed the est treble down. Spartacus is off to an early success in its stock form.

This is not a bass canon to me. The EE LX which I listened to for 5 minutes this weekend in comparison is more bassy. The bass would be more similar to the custom custom CA Supermoon. I think Spartacus is displaying denser bass notes while still remaining in line with the recording.
This really seems perfect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back